Options

"Spartacus: War of the Damned"

123457»

Comments

• Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fitting tribute to Andy Whitfield on the closing credits, the very last thing, "I am Spartacus"

the PERFECT ending to such a brilliant show

i remember in season 1 people were commenting, its OTT blood and sex,if you leave your brain at door its good fun

well i remember disagreeing and i would love to hear from those posters now lol.

brilliant writing from start to finish, s1 my fav,then prequel then war of damned and veangnce last

new spartacus really took over the role in final season and i will remember him fondly

i stayed away from this thread as i didnt know spartacus history so wanted it unspoiled and im glad i did, loved crixus and gannicus endings, although wanted ceaser to beat one of them mano a mano.

so happy nivea bit the dust lol

but yeah those credits were great to watch and the last line from andy was as i said earlier...simply perfect.

goodbye spartacus
  • Options
    JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    i remember in season 1 people were commenting, its OTT blood and sex,if you leave your brain at door its good fun...

I think a lot of us felt that way after the first episode.

Then we started noticing the dialogue.

I still think Batiatus is John Hannah's finest hour.
  • Options
    REVUpminsterREVUpminster Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "I an Spartacus" was not Kirk Douglas line as Tony Curtis and the others said it so Crassus could not identify him and had to crucify all of them, echoed in this series when trying to make the Roman's believe he was in mor than one place.

i used to fast forward through the violence as it got it a bit samey as did the sex although I went through that it slow motion. The plot was what made the series and the prequel being my favourite as they could never replace Ashur.
  • Options
    NailzNailz Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just caught up with the last few episodes.
    Fantastic show, and the ending was perfect, although sad to see so many of my favourite characters dying.

Fingers crossed for a spin-off or prequel.
  • Options
    DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nailz wrote: »
    Just caught up with the last few episodes.
    Fantastic show, and the ending was perfect, although sad to see so many of my favourite characters dying.

Fingers crossed for a spin-off or prequel.

I hear rumours there's going to be a Caesar spin off with the same actor.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    Well it's taken to now to recover from the final episode. an amazing show which took you through every emotion from start to finish. The only show where people are naked and having sex in the background and you don't notice because your engrossed in the dialogue. I hoped that when it started raining when spartacus died the ground round the cross gannicus is nailed to floods so the cross falls and he escapes(still in denial).

Did think that if they do a spin off they could have argon return and kill Crassus as revenge.
  • Options
    Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am watching the re-run of Blood And Sand now.

How Vengeance and War Of The Damned could have done with some Batiatus and Barca.
  • Options
    miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In Spartacus withdrawal !
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In Spartacus withdrawal !

Two words.

Box Set

:D
  • Options
    SXTonySXTony Posts: 2,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just caught up with the final few episodes at the weekend and all I can really say is "Wow!"

It was a pretty sad, if inevitable ending to the series. I didn't really take to Liam's Spartacus when he first appeared but I thought he did a superb job by the end. I really hoped that the producers would dispense with history and that he would survive the final showdown and then again I had my hopes raised when he was spirirted away, only to have them dashed again. Still, it was a fitting end to the character's arc, to see his wife again in the afterlife rather than to go and make housey with the Roman lady.

It was sad to see the end of nearly the whole cast too and it's a shame Crassus and Ceaser didn't get their come-uppence. Damn you history!!

Speaking of history, when I looked the real Spartacus up on wikipedia, I was surprised just how much of the real story they had taken. I assumed that they'd just taken the name Spartacus and his basic story and made their own tale about it. I didn't realise that almost all the supporting characters were real people, Batiatus's ludus was real and Spartacus and the rest came from there.

The final battle was really well done too (Roman tactics aside ;)) It was good to see a proper mass battle with 10s of thousands of people* rather than Sharpe fighting Waterloo with his 10 men against the entire French army made of 10 men too :) Or even the Game of Thrones style where Rob Stark stands in his tent saying "Off to battle men" with the next scene is him standing in his tent saying "That was a good victory men"

The final credits were a nice touch and seeing Andy Whitfeild again was sad. I have to say well done to sky for not having their announcer witter over it or reduce it to half-screen to tell us about the following programme.

I'll certainly miss not having any new episodes but thank Starz for having the courage to bring us such a unique TV show. I can't imagine there ever being a show like it again, what with all the sex, full-frontal nudity (both male and female), violence and gore. The amazing thing about it is, that underneath all of that, there was a very well plotted and scripted show.

Agron was right in the end. Rome has fallen and the Spartacus legend live on. I'll remember this show for quite a while too.