Anyone own a Ford StreetKa or new Mini?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,034
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hiya :);)

I'm seriously thinking about getting either a Ford StreetKa or Mini, but I can't make my mind up as I love them both! :(
If any of you guys own either of these cars, I thought maybe you could give me a bit of advice about them - pros and cons, etc?

Any help would be much appreciated! Cheers! :):)

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I was to have one I'd go for the Mini, much better build quality, and they hold their price well...
  • lordoftheflieslordoftheflies Posts: 7,879
    Forum Member
    Are you being serious?!

a Ford Ka vs a mini - no contest!
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been in the Ford Street Ka, but not the new Mini. Both are 1.6 petrol - so they are not as quick as you might think, although certainly not slow either. Hats of to Ford for their effort, they really did pull out all the stops in the Street Ka - afterall its a normal Ka under that body shell.

.....but everyone wants a Mini, and it should hold its value better.

Dave
  • PuddleduckPuddleduck Posts: 1,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a Mini Cooper Convertible, oh god I just love it, great fun. The build quality is fantastic, can't fault it. And there are loads of great Mini clubs for good days out, oh and Mini owners wave or flash at each other, never seen a Ka do that!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    How many Mini's do you see on the road each day as opposed to StreetKa's :rolleyes:

I've been out in my Streetka all day enjoying the weather with the old top off....at least my hood folds discreetly away into the boot and not down onto the rear of the car like a pram hood does ;) On a mini, its so high I am surprised that they can still see out of the rear view mirror the roof is so high
    oh and Mini owners wave or flash at each other, never seen a Ka do that!

Thats because, unlike Mini's - StreetKa's are so uncommon you never see another StreetKa to do that do :rolleyes:
    afterall its a normal Ka under that body shell.
    Actually it's not - it is built on a Focus chassis and apart from the engine and the headlights, there is nothing else in common with the Ka
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If its on the Focus chassis, then why has the Street Ka only got 2 seats?

I thought also the Street Ka and Sport Ka used an 8valve engine whereas the Focus uses a 16valve engine (both 1.6 petrol). If the Street Ka were on the Focus platform, there would be nothing stopping it from having the Focus 16valve unit fitted.

Dave
  • KamiKami Posts: 1,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stumblebum wrote:
    How many Mini's do you see on the road each day as opposed to StreetKa's :rolleyes:

I've been out in my Streetka all day enjoying the weather with the old top off....at least my hood folds discreetly away into the boot and not down onto the rear of the car like a pram hood does ;) On a mini, its so high I am surprised that they can still see out of the rear view mirror the roof is so high

Thats because, unlike Mini's - StreetKa's are so uncommon you never see another StreetKa to do that do :rolleyes:

Actually it's not - it is built on a Focus chassis and apart from the engine and the headlights, there is nothing else in common with the Ka

Just because there isn't that many around doesn't make it good. Personally I think it looks awful, but then again I don't like the new mini either.

Lotus Elise or Mazda MX5 are far superior choices.
    Forum Member
    Kami wrote:
    Just because there isn't that many around doesn't make it good. Personally I think it looks awful, but then again I don't like the new mini either.

Lotus Elise or Mazda MX5 are far superior choices.

The Lotus may be if you want to be sat at the side of the road waiting for the AA - I have rescued far too many in my time to ever want to own one
    Forum Member
    [

Apart from the size of the body shell fitted on the chassis of course

Anyway, Ford have stopped production of the StreetKa now, so it's immaterial anyway
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also understand that the little Lotus has one of those fragile Rover K series petrol engines.......so this is one to avoid then.

Dave
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 265
    Forum Member
    For something a little different and a bit more exclusive, have a look at Daihatsu's Copen. I'm still waiting for a test drive because there are so few around. It's like a little baby Audi TT!

I agree that the Mini or Mazda MX-5 are better cars but I personally expect more MPG nowadays than these cars offer.
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd go with the Mini - not that I'm biased or anything! A real quality car.
  • upnunderupnunder Posts: 2,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had one of the new mini Cooper S when they came out, I loved it.

No boot space to speak of, but it looked great, and drove really nicely.
    Wasnt good on mileage, about 25 mpg, but it was quick, and handled really well.
  • the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stumblebum wrote:
    [/B]

The Lotus may be if you want to be sat at the side of the road waiting for the AA - I have rescued far too many in my time to ever want to own one
    I would still take the lotus over all others mentioned here, its a drivers car mx5 good too though.

Street Ka nice but a bit boring after a bit, mini was good but too common now to be considered exciting.
  • Carlos_NomadCarlos_Nomad Posts: 880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David (2) wrote:
    I have been in the Ford Street Ka, but not the new Mini. Both are 1.6 petrol - so they are not as quick as you might think, although certainly not slow either. Hats of to Ford for their effort, they really did pull out all the stops in the Street Ka - afterall its a normal Ka under that body shell.

.....but everyone wants a Mini, and it should hold its value better.

Dave

They might be both 1.6, but a street ka does about 90bhp where as a mini does 90/115/170bhp depending on model (someone please correct me on these figures if they're inaccurate)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends. Male or Female? Streetkas a very girly car. Mini is, to a degree.
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a new r56 mini cooper and it's fantastic. The interior is real luxury and it's made by BMW so you are getting quality. It's a fantastic drive as well and retains is value very well
  • ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    interesting. Because I don't consider a car to be "girly" unless, of course, it's pink. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,683
    Forum Member
    I would definitely say the Mini over the Ford Street Ka, I'm not clued up on cars whatsoever but isn't the Mini a BMW which I have always assumed is much better than a Ford. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not a proper BMW tho.....

and although it handles like its on rails, unless you get the top spec Mini, the performance is not hot hatch - especially so the Mini One (entry level model).

Dave
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely the mini.
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd get a Mini Cooper as opposed to Mini One and at least have the Pepper pack. The interior is real luxury. I was looking at some BMW's when I went to pick up my Mini and the Mini looks better (interior wise) than a lot of BMW's. It's a superb car
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A Mini One isn't worth bothering with. You've got to go with a Cooper at the very least. My personal favourite is the Cooper S.