Good zombie novels?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,034
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi!

I've been really into zombie novels recently, but a lot of the books I've tried have been written like bad fan-fiction! :(

Can anyone please recommend any well-written zombie/post-apocalypse novels that take more than five minutes to read?! Much appreciated, thanks! :)

Comments

• ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soho Black by Christopher Fowler. Not post-apocalypse but good fun.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    Pride and Prejudice And Zombies. - Jane Austen & Seth Grahame-Smith.

Worked for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote for Pride and Prejudice and Zombies here.

Also, Max Brooks' World War Z is meant to be very good - not got around to reading it myself yet but I've heard very good things about it.

There's a list of zombie apocalypse books here that you might find useful too :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    Pride, Prejudice and Zombies is brill!

The Taking by Dean Koontz is excellent and although it isn't Zombies, it is end of the world type stuff.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    Ooh, just thought, The Cell by Stephen King, is one of the best post-apocalyptic books I have ever read.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    Not a genre I have picked much up on but as someone else said World War Z seems to be popular. Also I have heard good things about Brains - A Zombie Memoir by Robin Becker.
  • Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    World War Z is very good, definitely worth getting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dust - Joan Frances Turner.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    Worldw War Z by Max Brooks as already stated

Zombie Britannica by Thomas Emson

Two books you can't go wrong with.
  • MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    Zombie Britannica by Thomas Emson was great, going to read a few more of his books too

The infection by Craig Dilouie was excellent also

also big fan of end of the world /apocalypse etc themes if anyone has any recommendations :)
  • DotNetWillDotNetWill Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    World War Z is fantastic and I quite enjoyed Feed aswell. Completely disagree with Pride, Prejudice and Zombies, terrible book.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    World War Z (Max Brooks) is my favourite book of all time ever. Its one of those books that was leant to us by a friend who got it leant from a friend who got it leant from a friend.... and Ive bought it for about 4 people for presents.

Its not so much the zombies in the book, its the social commentaries that are so very relevant (terrorists, sars people smuggling, reality tv etc) and its a story (without sounding cheesy) of hope. I'd highly recommend you read the Zombie Survival Guide - Complete Protection from the Undead first by the same author. If you are a zombie fan its the ultimate handbook on how to deal with the situation when the dead rise.
    DotNetWill wrote: »
    World War Z is fantastic and I quite enjoyed Feed aswell. Completely disagree with Pride, Prejudice and Zombies, terrible book.

yeah i couldnt get into it at all, i read about 1/4 of it and put it down. But then, Im not really into period drama at all anyway. Shame really!
  • Reiver97Reiver97 Posts: 2,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im reading Flu by Wayne Simmons at the moment. Zombie novel set in Belfast. Loving it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another vote for world war Z

Also 'Warm bodies' by Isaac Marion, its a bit of a twist on your average zombie novel, but its ace
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    Zombie Apocalypse - Stephen Jones
    A lot of people don't like it because it's written in letters, newspaper cuttings, emails etc. by all different characters but the storyline does eventually come together and I loved it.
  • weateallthepiesweateallthepies Posts: 4,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Reapers are the Angels by Alden Bell. Not a long read but one of the best written zombie/post apocalypse novels recently.
  • GraathusGraathus Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bad Flu by Martyn Flatt

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bad-Flu-ebook/dp/B005HYNRPO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314130255&sr=8-1

A fantastic English take on the zombie apocalypse.
  • PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is World War Z light hearted or more serious? I have looked at this to buy a couple of times but I don't want anything that is too serious.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is World War Z light hearted or more serious? I have looked at this to buy a couple of times but I don't want anything that is too serious.

It's the po-faced, serious tone which makes it funny.
    "Troll Hunter" is a movie which uses the same technique. Both have totally ludicrous subjects but by the end you almost believe in them.
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry is a decent zombie novel, bit of a stereotypical lead character, but still readable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    The Enemy and The Dead by Charlie Higson are very good :) Although they're children/teenage aimed, I'm sure many adults would enjoy them too as the plot is really good.
  • bella82bella82 Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    The Passage, amazing book
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Another vote for world war Z

Also 'Warm bodies' by Isaac Marion, its a bit of a twist on your average zombie novel, but its ace

I agree, i thought warm bodies was amazing!! Didn't think i'd like it but, after i started reading i couldn't stop. You should try this book, its great!!:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    a vote for warm bodies here too - brilliant and different (the main lead is the zombie) also liked dark inside (which is not technically zombies but along the same lines) and dust.
  • tanstaafltanstaafl Posts: 21,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I Am Legend by Richard Mathieson is the grandaddy of the genre.