Top Of The Pops 1978 - BBC4

Comments

• UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Better put a word in!

But even better for all Abba lovers is that Agnetha is back out of retirement, has some new music out! She has a new single coming out called When You Loved Someone. I believe she may even be coming over to the UK to promote it, which is quite something. Plus she looks utterly fantastic. The album is going to be simply entitled "A". So if we can't have Abba, at least we can have A. :)

What do we think here?

Love Agnetha Faltskog - the most beautiful women in the world (along with Debbie Harry!! :D).

However, like others - I find it strange that she is still making music as she totally withdrew from the music scene a few years back and was the only member of Abba who didn't like touring!!
    Forum Member
    Looks like it will be a further month at least before we get DLT shows back on, bailed yet again. :mad:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/dave-lee-travis-says-hes-1757457

......Sigh........:(

Let's hope he gets off - but then look at all the great TOTP episodes we'll have missed if he has been wrongly accused! :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    dead_wing wrote: »
    ; just kicking myself that I've missed the 1976 and 1977 repeats,...

And they were the full unaltered Jimmy Savile/DLT episodes too! ;)
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClareB wrote: »
    Can't wait to hear Agnetha's album. I haven't heard the Bonnie Tyler Eurovision entry yet, but I can't see us doing well even if the song is great. Added to Bonnie and Agnetha, don't forget Olivia Newton-John doing her first UK tour for years.

I noticed to my surprise that she was a guest on Jonathan Ross's chat show at the weekend, and wondered why. Put simply, from my own perspective, I see it as evidence of the realisation of a neglected and un-tapped mine of talent that is all out there dormant and waiting, as good as ever in many cases. David Bowie's excellent recent top ten hit and new album released yesterday, and hopefully No1 next week, exemplify it perfectly, and may many more follow that course.

Just a word about Samantha Sang. She looked somewhat oriental in her promo clip, and looks better in later years. She has a recent picture of herself with Barry Gibb on the front of her facebook site. What made me smile during her singing on the promo of Emotion was when she was clearly singing/miming the Barry Gibb vocal parts. But what a great tune.

As for DLT, what is going on there? It seems an unusual length of time to be "in limbo" as he said. How would you read into that? Very unfair in my view.
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UrsulaU wrote: »
    Love Agnetha Faltskog - the most beautiful women in the world (along with Debbie Harry!! :D).

However, like others - I find it strange that she is still making music as she totally withdrew from the music scene a few years back and was the only member of Abba who didn't like touring!!

I'm confused ... Agnetha charted back in 2004 with her cover of Cilla Black's 'If I Thought You'd Ever Change Your Mind'. She may have kept an extremely low profile and not exactly maintained a steady output of material - but I didn't think she'd actually hung up her bejewelled blue skull cap altogether.

Apparently the forthcoming album features a duet with Gary Barlow. Not something we'll see on the next series of The X Factor, I'm guessing ... ;)

As for Bonnie Tyler - no problem with her representing th UK, but the song sounds half-finished. Given that it was co-written by the man who penned or co-penned the likes of 'Living On A Prayer', 'Poison' and 'Livin' La Vida Loca', I'd've expected much more of an anthemic chorus with a big hook. Bonnie may have a presence in Europe - but I rather suspect the song will let her (and the UK) down. It needs to be more distinctive to break through the Baltic, Eastern European and ex-Soviet blocs that, rightly or wrongly, now hold sway over the contest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I noticed to my surprise that she was a guest on Jonathan Ross's chat show at the weekend, and wondered why. Put simply, from my own perspective, I see it as evidence of the realisation of a neglected and un-tapped mine of talent that is all out there dormant and waiting, as good as ever in many cases. David Bowie's excellent recent top ten hit and new album released yesterday, and hopefully No1 next week, exemplify it perfectly, and may many more follow that course.

Just a word about Samantha Sang. She looked somewhat oriental in her promo clip, and looks better in later years. She has a recent picture of herself with Barry Gibb on the front of her facebook site. What made me smile during her singing on the promo of Emotion was when she was clearly singing/miming the Barry Gibb vocal parts. But what a great tune.

With the greatest respect, Rich, I don't think you can quite bracket David Bowie with Olivia Neutron Bomb ... ;) But I do take your point about not writing people off. Shame ONJ seems to have inflicted Botox on her face - hopefully her singing voice is still intact and she isn't dosing it with Autotune, as happened when she made a guest appearance on Glee. Have to say I'm looking forward to the end of the year, when we'll (hopefully!) see her de-Grease'd and performing 'A Little More Love' on TOTP.

Taking of Botox, I did wonder if Samantha Sang was an early champion when I saw that promo clip on the last TOTP ... :o It is indeed a great song, though!
  • Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agreed!!!! :D:D:D
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Servalan I like the phrase "de-greased" and actually that is the point I really like her from. Late 1978 entry, hot on the heels of Grease, A Little More Love is fantastic, she wasted little time keeping in the charts, but likely my fave has got to be Magic, from 1980, very minor hit in the UK but a massive American No1. An absolutely awesome track from her. Love Landslide too. The early 70's stuff pre-Grease is not my thing at all though.

Certainly was not comparing Bowie to Olivia, or anyone to anyone else, but your point about not writing people off is well put, which in effect is what I was saying. Bonnie Tyler won't win Eurovision, or come near to it. In my lifetime the UK has only won with groups, our recent Figaro fave's, good ole Bucks Fizz (my guilty pleasure) and Katrina & The Waves. Maybe we ought to choose a 4 piece 2 male 2 female group next year again with an upbeat strong chorus. It seems to work best for us generally.

I presume we get the Israeli winning 1978 Eurovision entry on TOTP soon? Izhar Cohen & Alpha Beta with A-Ba-Ni-Bi? I've never heard it. Not to mention again in '79 when Israel won again. I know that one. Perhaps we should rename our country with an I, like Ireland's successes. Ingerland! One things for sure, if the Scots vote for independence and take part as their own nation, they will disprove the friendly neighbours voting farce from the continent. No way will we be hearing "Greetings from Edinburgh, and the douze points from the Scottish jury/vote go to our neighbours England".:D

EDIT; Sorry Ian (Highlander) but you know it's true!;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    AZZURRI 06 wrote: »
    I agree. Andy Williams was a fantastic singer and when you compare him to punk there is no contest. People will always listen to ballads. Where are the punks now eh, eh?!!

Shhhh! Don't let the documentary makers hear you! Don't you know that punk was the single most important event in history?!?!
    tsk!
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    I'm confused ... Agnetha charted back in 2004 with her cover of Cilla Black's 'If I Thought You'd Ever Change Your Mind'. She may have kept an extremely low profile and not exactly maintained a steady output of material - but I didn't think she'd actually hung up her bejewelled blue skull cap altogether.

Apparently the forthcoming album features a duet with Gary Barlow. Not something we'll see on the next series of The X Factor, I'm guessing ... ;)

As for Bonnie Tyler - no problem with her representing th UK, but the song sounds half-finished. Given that it was co-written by the man who penned or co-penned the likes of 'Living On A Prayer', 'Poison' and 'Livin' La Vida Loca', I'd've expected much more of an anthemic chorus with a big hook. Bonnie may have a presence in Europe - but I rather suspect the song will let her (and the UK) down. It needs to be more distinctive to break through the Baltic, Eastern European and ex-Soviet blocs that, rightly or wrongly, now hold sway over the contest.

From the excellent album "My Colouring Book", 13 covers, most, if not all, from the 60s.
  • Gripper StebsonGripper Stebson Posts: 1,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't look very likely the previous or upcoming Dave Lee Travis episodes will be shown now. As he's just been re-arrested again for alleged offences dating back to the 70's and 80's.

Before this I was about to say let's hope DLT clears his name this month, and his episodes can be shown again.
  • chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    Doesn't look very likely the previous or upcoming Dave Lee Travis episodes will be shown now. As he's just been re-arrested again for alleged offences dating back to the 70's and 80's.

Before this I was about to say let's hope DLT clears his name this month, and his episodes can be shown again.

Looking increasing likely all of a sudden that we may never see DLT's shows again. :eek:
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite a few people involved in the new DLT allegations, apparently.
  • SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think we can take the DLT episodes out of the equation for this year at least. Thank heavens that Noel, Kid, Tony and Peter apparently knew how to behave themselves.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    Perhaps I am being naive, but I thought that you were innocent until proved guilty in this country.

So it seems a bit previous to pull all the DLT episodes of TOTP until he has been found guilty in court. I rather object to the BBC making ethical decisions to obliterate the existence of someone (DLT) until he has been found guilty of something.

Part of the problem I suspect is that because of Saville the BBC are operating a 'safety first' policy and partly to avoid the haters and nut jobs at the Daily Mail screaming about the BBC supporting 'sex criminals' by showing a DLT TOTP.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Julie1222 wrote: »

Part of the problem I suspect is that because of Saville the BBC are operating a 'safety first' policy and partly to avoid the haters and nut jobs at the Daily Mail screaming about the BBC supporting 'sex criminals' by showing a DLT TOTP.

That's not part of the problem, that is the whole problem. Whilst there is a government ideologically opposed to the BBC, with a compliant press willing to attack it for the slightest thing, the Beeb aren't taking any chances.
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite a few people involved in the new DLT allegations, apparently.
    I think the latest developments with DLT being arrested over further allegations is separate to anyone else being involved in sexual abuse claims. My take on the article at

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21772616

suggests that other arrests are planned but not in connection with DLT. The other planned arrests are in connection with child sex offences (read the comments by the Chief Prosecutor for the north west) which is not linked to the latest allegations that DLT has been just arrested for.

I may have read it wrong of course but I did have to read it three times to actually make out what I believe the article was trying to say.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    That's not part of the problem, that is the whole problem. Whilst there is a government ideologically opposed to the BBC, with a compliant press willing to attack it for the slightest thing, the Beeb aren't taking any chances.

Exactly.

The most frustrating thing is the air of mystery about what he's allegedly done - it's not on the same scale as Saville (thank goodness) ... but what are the charges? And why is nobody saying? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    Exactly.

The most frustrating thing is the air of mystery about what he's allegedly done - it's not on the same scale as Saville (thank goodness) ... but what are the charges? And why is nobody saying? :confused:
    He's not been charged with anything and until any decision is made on whether he will be charged I doubt anyone involved (DLT / Police / CPS) can say what he has been accused of. I'd imagine part of his bail conditions is that he's not allowed to divulge the exact nature of what he has been accused of.
  • starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Julie1222 wrote: »
    to avoid the haters and nut jobs at the Daily Mail screaming about the BBC supporting 'sex criminals' by showing a DLT TOTP.

I just wish tabloids didn't run this country still, their views are often extreme and feed people's prejudices.
    Servalan I like the phrase "de-greased" and actually that is the point I really like her from. Late 1978 entry, hot on the heels of Grease, A Little More Love is fantastic, she wasted little time keeping in the charts, but likely my fave has got to be Magic, from 1980, very minor hit in the UK but a massive American No1. An absolutely awesome track from her. Love Landslide too. The early 70's stuff pre-Grease is not my thing at all though.

Well I love the cover she did of a Dylan song I think that was pre-Grease, and I like her Grease songs. And Magic for me did well in America as it is in the typically smooth easy listening style that did so well there (but didn't so often here), even the chorus after the initial catchiness goes on too long and the verse I don't remember at all. I think some other songs from Xanadu are much better.
    Forum Member
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    I think the latest developments with DLT being arrested over further allegations is separate to anyone else being involved in sexual abuse claims. My take on the article at

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21772616

suggests that other arrests are planned but not in connection with DLT. The other planned arrests are in connection with child sex offences (read the comments by the Chief Prosecutor for the north west) which is not linked to the latest allegations that DLT has been just arrested for.

I may have read it wrong of course but I did have to read it three times to actually make out what I believe the article was trying to say.

Yes it sounds like they are also going to arrest other people! :( - I hope to goodness it's not another TOTP presenter - atleast not until we see Blondie & Kate Bush on tomorrow's episode!! ;)
  • chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    Yes it sounds like they are also going to arrest other people! :( - I hope to goodness it's not another TOTP presenter - atleast not until we see Blondie & Kate Bush on tomorrow's episode!! ;)

If they need to arrest Noel then they'd better wait until after Christmas when his last TOTP show goes out. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm guessing that TOTP will be safe, we have no need to worry about the other presenters! Though I bet the bosses at BBC Four are still getting twitchy fingers wondering who may be next...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they need to arrest Noel then they'd better wait until after Christmas when his last TOTP show goes out. :D
    The Last Noel, rather than the First Noel, as his last TOTP appearance was on Christmas Day 1978...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^
    I was wanting to save that dreadful pun for December 2013 but I better get it in now just in case!
This discussion has been closed.