Options

Are you willing to risk a small punt on 40C being reached this Summer?

bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
Forum Member
✭✭✭
With incredibly hot weather over Southern Europe, and the record breaking day hot days of Summer generally being experienced late July/early August, it is just possible that somewhere in the UK might just possibly scrape a 40C if we get a week or so with the air coming from the South or South East later this month, or in August.

Odds of 5:1 currently being offered on this - link

If it does happen, I'd consider somewhere deep in the heart of England - Worcestershire, Warwickshire, Northamptonshire, and possibly Berkshire as being the most favoured spots. Maybe somewhere in the triangle Rugby - Oxford - Cheltenham.

Not saying it will happen, but this year the potential is definitely there.

Comments

• Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,551
    Forum Member
    Heathrow, Faversham (Brogdale) or perhaps Gravesend (Broadness) are the usual dodgy suspects.

Looks like we will have more brief hot spells from time to time but 40? Unlikely, no punt from me on that.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    37c tops IMO.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Didn't 41 happen at Wimbledon already?
  • Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    As long as it's nowhere near the northeast and the northeast is no more than 18-20c then I wouldn't care
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Heathrow, Faversham (Brogdale) or perhaps Gravesend (Broadness) are the usual dodgy suspects.

Looks like we will have more brief hot spells from time to time but 40? Unlikely, no punt from me on that.

Well we got 37 on the early date of 1st July, which nobody (except the Daily Express) expected so it is just possible, given the current warmth in Europe.

Unlikely though, I agree. Everything needs to come together perfectly, and such situations are very rare.

I just think if we're going to see 40C, this year looks like a possible candidate.
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    never happen

were a island surrounded by water

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2015/07/11/saturday-satire-hot-spot-or-not/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »

Not necessarily - that would have been using thermometers not officially recognised by the Met Office, in addition to which you have local conditions inside a stadium which can inflate the temperature artificially.
    As long as it's nowhere near the northeast and the northeast is no more than 18-20c then I wouldn't care

It won't be the North East. But in any hot spell it might get a bit higher than 18 to 20C. Of course, if you're on the coast you will often get relief from the heat, via sea fog and sea breezes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    never happen

were a island surrounded by water

It's not that long ago that anything over 100F (38C) was thought impossible in the UK.

We had 37 on 1st July, and given that the highest temperatures tend to occur late July or early August, it is possible.
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    It's not that long ago that anything over 100F (38C) was thought impossible in the UK.

We had 37 on 1st July, and given that the highest temperatures tend to occur late July or early August, it is possible.

your being sucked in by william hill hype trying to get idiot punters give them money

next youll be telling us we have a Mediterranean climate
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably not this year but maybe in the future it's possible. Freak of nature etc etc but I wouldn't bet on it this year
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    your being sucked in by william hill hype trying to get idiot punters give them money

next youll be telling us we have a Mediterranean climate

Not being sucked in by anything. The weather has been an interest of mine since I was 10 and I specially sought out the odds as I think it is a plausible possibility this Summer at some point. No we don't have a Mediterranean climate and never will.
  • Options
    Rhythm StickRhythm Stick Posts: 1,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The temperatures experienced in an extremely localised aren't the same as a overall dry bulb temperature located in a shaded location, away from sources of anthropomorphic heat.

Wimbeldon centre court with 15,000+ people all respiring and perspiring in direct sunlight, with compromised air movement, will add several degrees onto the air temperature, along with many other contributory factors.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The temperatures experienced in an extremely localised aren't the same as a overall dry bulb temperature located in a shaded location, away from sources of anthropomorphic heat.

Wimbeldon centre court with 15,000+ people all respiring and perspiring in direct sunlight, with compromised air movement, will add several degrees onto the air temperature, along with many other contributory factors.

Meh, it still happened :p
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 57,132
    Forum Member

Not according to the record books it didn't.

5/1 isn't very generous odds on it being hotter in the UK than it has ever been.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not according to the record books it didn't.

5/1 isn't very generous odds on it being hotter in the UK than it has ever been.

Yeah I know, I was just being flippant, sorry :blush:

I can't see it either. Does it have to be a shade temperature too when it's judged officially? That would be extraordinarily high for Britain.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 57,132
    Forum Member
    Yeah I know, I was just being flippant, sorry :blush:

I can't see it either. Does it have to be a shade temperature too when it's judged officially? That would be extraordinarily high for Britain.

Yep. It's got close here before, the record is 38.5 back in 2003.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I think you should look up the meaning of anthropomorpic.

What's really needed for a record is to have sites and instruments that follow the World Meteorological Organization / Met Office guidelines and are officially approved. There aren't many of them when you compare the number of official sites to the number of towns and cities in the UK, so 40 deg C may already have been reached had there been more official sites... but we will never know..
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get 45c regularly on my back garden thermometer. Doesn't mean it's official.
  • Options
    Rhythm StickRhythm Stick Posts: 1,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you should look up the meaning of anthropomorpic.

What's really needed for a record is to have sites and instruments that follow the World Meteorological Organization / Met Office guidelines and are officially approved. There aren't many of them when you compare the number of official sites to the number of towns and cities in the UK, so 40 deg C may already have been reached had there been more official sites... but we will never know..

Anthropogenic then.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I think summer has peaked and apart from a few hot and sunny days, it wasn't anything particularly special.
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whether it reaches 40C or not, a hot August would be lovely as the last few have been rubbish here!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anthropogenic then.

Actually, as you were referring to Wimbledon, I have heard it said that Djokovic is anthropomorphic... ;)
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Save your money.
  • Options
    RepublicOfYorksRepublicOfYorks Posts: 3,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, as you were referring to Wimbledon, I have heard it said that Djokovic is anthropomorphic... ;)

Is that because of his gluten-free diet?
  • Options
    RepublicOfYorksRepublicOfYorks Posts: 3,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    No, I think summer has peaked and apart from a few hot and sunny days, it wasn't anything particularly special.

This.

We don't get summers that go on for weeks and weeks anymore like we did 30 or 40 years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if it was this climate change blowing this 'jet stream', that everyone goes on about, too far south, so we get sucked into this repetitive '2 days sun, 2 days rain' nonsense as it wobbles about.