Options

Why don't so many people drink Buckfast in England?

Comments

• Options
    Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The rest of the UK have taste apparently. Its vile stuff.

Although I do drink it sometimes out of social etiquette.

Social etiquette and Buckfast don't really inhabit the same universe.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SJ_Mental wrote: »
    The drink of choice in England like that used to be MD 20/20

That's still popular up here too, in fact it was the second alcholic drink I ever had, the blue reasperry flavour when I was 14 :kitty:

I'm getting some for my party <3
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    I am trying to picture the situation where refusing a swig of bucky would be a transgression of social etiquette.

I'm friends with people who love it, now you wouldn't refuse a nice glass of chablis at a dinner party, why would I refuse a bottle at my pals empty?

You see the position I am in?
  • Options
    MrsSkittlesMrsSkittles Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    I've tried it and didn't like it at all. It's seen over here as a cheap way to get drunk.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    I'm friends with people who love it, now you wouldn't refuse a nice glass of chablis at a dinner party, why would I refuse a bottle at my pals empty?

Actually I would refuse anything if I did not fancy it and I have no friends who would be bothered what I drink.

You need to establish some social autonomy. People really will accept you for what you are not what you drink.
  • Options
    darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also known as 'tramp juice', it now has its 'own national day' :

http://glasgow.stv.tv/articles/319446-scotlands-first-ever-national-buckfast-day-set-to-be-held-on-may-9/

A documentary about this splendid nectar (although I've never actually tasted it) and its effects on lowlife up in Scotland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfBaGZD9DlI
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Grow a set and tell them you don't want any.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I absolutely hate the stuff.
    It really is the scum of the Earth who drink it up here.
  • Options
    Mountain_RunnerMountain_Runner Posts: 1,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it should be marketed to the Flat roof pub society of Great Britain and Wales ;)

http://www.yourmum.co.uk/web_pages/viz/viz%20scans/2014%20VIZ/flat-roof-pub.jpg
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I clearly am not socially aware then, as bugger drinking something I didn't like just because someone else does. (Although as it happens I like both Chablis and Buckfast... :kitty: )
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    vierte wrote: »
    If you're posting from a mobile there aren't any smilies to use, you have to be on the main site to use them.
    Yes there are. I post from my mobile all the time and they're right alongside the text box. :confused:
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've drank it once when I was 13. That was enough.
  • Options
    viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes there are. I post from my mobile all the time and they're right alongside the text box. :confused:

Are you still on the desktop site though? I don't have any showing on mine at all and links don't work when I paste them in either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're talking about the actual mobile site, not meaning just texting on the desktop site from your mobile...
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    That's still popular up here too, in fact it was the second alcholic drink I ever had, the blue reasperry flavour when I was 14 :kitty:

I'm getting some for my party <3

I used to love mad dog.
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    vierte wrote: »
    Are you still on the desktop site though? I don't have any showing on mine at all and links don't work when I paste them in either.

Probably am.
  • Options
    Sam_Williams1Sam_Williams1 Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    Four Loko anyone?
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was once in a shop and a NED (non employed deliquent) was buying Buckie and I asked him why he drunk that gut rot, and predictably he said because its a cheap way of getting drunk.

I pointed out you could buy British Cream (formerly called sherry until EU nazis banned term) more cheaply than Buckie, with same alcohol content and tastes better. He put the Buckie back and bought two British Creams!

I guess I just accelerated his eventual liver failure, but saved his stomach?
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Ænima wrote: »
    Never heard of it. Looking it up, it doesn't sound appealing at all. Fortified wine with caffeine. Yuck!
    Nor me so I used google images to see what the bottle looked like and found this which says enough...

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01363/Binge_drinking_1363279c.jpg
  • Options
    WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have thought Frankie Boyle had made Buckfast and its Scottish stereotype quite well known. Then again, not everyone likes Frankie Boyle.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    I reckon mountain runner must drink it, down south we reckon it gives you brain damage. Could you Scottish people spare a small, uninhabited island to put him on?
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Buckfast is a popular tonic drink in Scotland but not so many people drink it in England even though its actually made in Buckfast Devon. I think it needs to be promoted more in England as that would be supporting the monks cottage industry.

I've never actually tried it, what does it taste like? Does it have health giving properties?

Maybe Tescos will stock it instead of Ribena.
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    I don't think I've ever seen it for sale down here in Cornwall. Probably for the best as the local chavs fight enough as it is.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Buckfast is a popular tonic drink in Scotland but not so many people drink it in England even though its actually made in Buckfast Devon. I think it needs to be promoted more in England as that would be supporting the monks cottage industry.

I've never actually tried it, what does it taste like? Does it have health giving properties?

Chavs drink it. Not something I would enjoy.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Never heard of Buckfast. Thunderbird used to be the drink of choice in my teens, something that masqueraded as humble white wine but was horribly strong, and resulted in extreme drunkenness (which was the aim, of course).

I'm a bit more sophisticated these days, and don't tend to hand around with my mates in the park anymore.