Free AntiVirus?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,034
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi guys :)

My Norton Antivirus is expiring in two weeks, and I can't afford to pay the £55 renewal fee! I've been told the AVG Free antivirus is pretty good, but I'm not sure where exactly to download from! Can anyone help with suggestions for a website please? Much appreciated, thanks! :D

Cheers, Lou xx

Comments

• user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://abcde.co.uk/virginmedia/broadband-faq.html

Scroll down to "Essential (FREE) Software for use with Microsoft Windows" for a few free security applications, including Anti-virus.
  • skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    Avira is getting good reports.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Avast, me hearty! Arrr!
  • FinglongaFinglonga Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LouC wrote: »
    I've been told the AVG Free antivirus is pretty good, but I'm not sure where exactly to download from! Can anyone help with suggestions for a website please? Much appreciated, thanks! :D

Cheers, Lou xx

You will find it . . HERE.

HTH.
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    If you want the best detection ratings and low recource use Avira 9 free is the best AV you can get.
    http://www.free-av.com/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I now use Avira as AVG was doing to much cpu hogging.
  • DarkestHourDarkestHour Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vote for Avira here.
  • Echo1Echo1 Posts: 7,660
    Forum Member
    AVG is good enough for me. It works well and updates daily without problem.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    I use AVG, have done for about 7 years now, always been fine. I've just downloaded the latest version 8.5 actually.
  • VallhundVallhund Posts: 5,374
    Forum Member
    For 'Doze I like ClamWin.
  • robbrarobbra Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could try PC Tools "Threatfire". Updates everytime you switch on and never slows the pc and every week it tells you what it has done to protect you.
    It's the one for me.
    Rob:)
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    Avira has the highest detection rates of all free AV's - infact its higher than many paid ones as they use the same definition.
    The footprint is much smaller than other free AV's too. Trounces AVG and avast.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use Avast, never could get on with AVG, it was always messing up with updates and that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    late8 wrote: »
    Avira has the highest detection rates of all free AV's - infact its higher than many paid ones as they use the same definition.
    The footprint is much smaller than other free AV's too. Trounces AVG and avast.

But I couldn't get rid of Avast now. I'd miss the "Virus database is updated!" man...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    another vote for avast
  • captncoolcaptncool Posts: 3,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    horns wrote: »
    But I couldn't get rid of Avast now. I'd miss the "Virus database is updated!" man...

you should get star trek skin its a lady ;)
    ive convinced myself its 7 of 9 :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    LouC wrote: »

My Norton Antivirus is expiring in two weeks, and I can't afford to pay the £55 renewal fee! I've been told the AVG Free antivirus is pretty good, but I'm not sure where exactly to download from! Can anyone help with suggestions for a website please? Much appreciated, thanks! :D

Cheers, Lou xx

Just to be different, Lou, I'm going to answer your question.

This is what you want.

Incidentally, it took me 10 seconds on Google! :)
  • FinglongaFinglonga Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rowdy wrote: »
    Just to be different, Lou, I'm going to answer your question.

This is what you want.

Incidentally, it took me 10 seconds on Google! :)

Too slow, I answered the question back at post #6 yesterday.;)
    Forum Member
    Well, when I said 10 seconds, I meant 10 seconds from reading the question - not 10 seconds from when the question was asked. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    Am I the only person who uses Comodo internet security? I only hear comparisons between AVG, Avast and Avira. Anyone know how Comodo rates against these three? It's Firewall is highly recommended and virus scans are really quick. Past resource-hogging problems are all corrected.

I also use Malwarebytes and Spybot for On-Demand scans. Is this a
    Forum Member
    woscarin wrote: »
    Am I the only person who uses Comodo internet security? I only hear comparisons between AVG, Avast and Avira. Anyone know how Comodo rates against these three? It's Firewall is highly recommended and virus scans are really quick. Past resource-hogging problems are all corrected.

I also use Malwarebytes and Spybot for On-Demand scans. Is this a

Wow! It's killed your computer!
  • skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    LOL I don't rate Spybot at all now.I think it went the same way as Adaware.Things are so much more sophisticated now and they just seem to find cookies.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,916
    Forum Member
    woscarin wrote: »

The A/V is improving but still not up there with the likes of Avast and Avira yet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the info guys! I've decided to download AVG.
    One problem, I get a warning bar across the top when I go to download (Norton blocking it, I guess?) I click on this bar for Options, and then on Download File.
    It then gives me a warning box, asking Save or Run the AVG program?
    Which do I choose? :o:o

Thanks in advance! xx