Thatcher back at Downing Street

Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
Forum Member
✭✭✭
In body this time, although we know that she's there in spirit - no wonder the Lib Dems are starting to look uncomfortable in the 'joint' photos they have taken with their Tory friends.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/politics/10268442.stm

Regardless, is it right that Cameron should be hosting lavish receptions at No.10 whilst preaching austerity to the rest of the country?

Individually these functions won't cost massive amounts, but I bet you that yearly costs of such events would provide the salaries for a good few nurses and firemen.

Comments

• GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lavish reception - a cuppa tea and a biscuit? :confused:

Didnt Brown & Blair have her in too?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In body this time, although we know that she's there in spirit - no wonder the Lib Dems are starting to look uncomfortable in the 'joint' photos they have taken with their Tory friends.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/politics/10268442.stm

What like those times she visited Blair and Brown?:p
  • Pink_PounderPink_Pounder Posts: 13,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's just politeness to invite former PM's to Downing Street from time to time.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Lavish reception - a cuppa tea and a biscuit?

People were howling for the heads of MPs for buying chocolate bars during the expenses scandal. A penny saved is a penny saved.

It's not just the food, it's the travel costs, security and staffing etc involved with that. This kind of thing used to annoy me when Labour did it, but it really ought to stop now. Solidarity in austerity?
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not just the food, it's the travel costs, security and staffing etc involved with that. This kind of thing used to annoy me when Labour did it, but it really ought to stop now. Solidarity in austerity?

She has full time security anyway. To stop Labour leadership contenders assisinating her. Although personally I doubt they could organise a hit. They couldnt organise a putch against Brown after all.......
  • nerf666nerf666 Posts: 9,029
    Forum Member
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    She has full time security anyway. To stop Labour leadership contenders assisinating her. Although personally I doubt they could organise a hit. They couldnt organise a putch against Brown after all.......

Brown invited her after he went in as PM in 2007 so..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nerf666 wrote: »
    Brown invited her after he went in as PM in 2007 so..

his kind of thing used to annoy me when Labour did it, but it really ought to stop now. Solidarity in austerity?
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People were howling for the heads of MPs for buying chocolate bars during the expenses scandal. A penny saved is a penny saved.

There is very little expense involved in letting a former PM go back to Downing Street for a visit!

Do you think it's OK for millions and millions to be spent on the Pope's visit to the UK in the autumn that was organised and agreed by Labour?

I don't have a problem with the pope visiting as a lot of people will get a lot of pleasure from his visit, just like a lot of people got a lot of pleasure seeing Lady Thatcher at Downing Street again.
    Forum Member
    . Solidarity in austerity?

You'd be interested in this blog piece:

http://redrag1.blogspot.com/2010/06/red-rag-cameron-talks-of-cuts-his-party.html
    Tory Barnet Council has just announced there will be three new director posts worth £300,000 to help with their finance department.

Source: http://www.newbarnet.towntalk.co.uk/news/d/14793/Three-New-Assistant-Director-Posts-Created-By-Barnet-Council/

And also:
    Suffolk's Conservative run council... have decided to pay a spin doctor for the council a salary of between £400 and £700 a day.The new head of communication starts their new job next Monday, and they will be happy to know that they will be on a better pay scale than the Prime Minister.This new post has been sanctioned by the Tory run County council, despite the fact that they are supposed to be aiming at cuts of £153 million over the next ten years.

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1284586/Tory-councils-spin-doctor-Jill-Rawlins-182k-year--40k-PM.html

FYI, thats £182,00/year
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mummy...........your home............
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nerf666 wrote: »

Absolutely scandalous. These councils should be severely punished. I hope they lose the local elections as a reward.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You're Victor Meldrew aren't you?
  • Raring_to_goRaring_to_go Posts: 20,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're Victor Meldrew aren't you?

"I don't believe it!" :eek:
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We could save millions each year if silly little girls did not have unprotected intercourse with silly little boys, not only once, but in many cases more than once, get them selves pregnant again sometimes more than once and then they do not even have a clue who the father of their offspring is. Even when they do it is more often than not a completely useless irresponsible layabout who cannot even be arsed to get a job and keep his offspring. So then who keeps them, we all do.
    Forum Member
    We could save billions each year if silly little richboys didnt flout the taxation rules and through creative accounting, con the British public to the tune of £15 billion per year

Source: Tax evasion costs Treasury 15 times more than benefit fraud
    http://citywire.co.uk/new-model-adviser/tax-evasion-costs-treasury-15-times-more-than-benefit-fraud/a378274
  • GeneralissimoGeneralissimo Posts: 6,289
    Forum Member
    Caxton wrote: »
    We could save millions each year if silly little girls did not have unprotected intercourse with silly little boys, not only once, but in many cases more than once, get them selves pregnant again sometimes more than once and then they do not even have a clue who the father of their offspring is. Even when they do it is more often than not a completely useless irresponsible layabout who cannot even be arsed to get a job and keep his offspring. So then who keeps them, we all do.

What? :confused:

When will Tony Blair receive his invite to number 10?
  • Raring_to_goRaring_to_go Posts: 20,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »

That is one of the problems but what action has to be taken to reverse the trend.....
  • GeegGeeg Posts: 23,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's starting to look uncannily like the 1980s all over again. When do the strikes and riots start?
  • Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    What? :confused:

When will Tony Blair receive his invite to number 10?

He's been invited already. Not too sure of the date but I think it's when Hell freezes over. ;)
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Geeg wrote: »
    It's starting to look uncannily like the 1980s all over again. When do the strikes and riots start?

The rioters will only come out if it is hot and dry. That doesn't look too hopeful at the moment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Do you think it's OK for millions and millions to be spent on the Pope's visit to the UK in the autumn that was organised and agreed by Labour?

I don't have a problem with the pope visiting as a lot of people will get a lot of pleasure from his visit, just like a lot of people got a lot of pleasure seeing Lady Thatcher at Downing Street again.

Absolutely not. Although unfortunately I think that the Pope's visit falls under the auspices of being the visit of a head of state (the Vatican). But there's no way that the UK taxpayer should be funding any of the religious events (and I don't think we are).
  • Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    Absolutely not. Although unfortunately I think that the Pope's visit falls under the auspices of being the visit of a head of state (the Vatican). But there's no way that the UK taxpayer should be funding any of the religious events (and I don't think we are).

Correct. Special collections have been made at Masses all over the country.

*cough* but Catholics are tax payers too *cough* :D
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was nice to see Mrs Thatcher back at No.10.

She was a fantastic PM and a strong woman.
  • cleocleo Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thatcher looking very, very old and frail.

I really don't envy Cameron having to make conversation with her for however long she stayed. I imagine it would be very hard going.

Although maybe Thatcher was thinking the same thing about Cameron. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Fair enough. At least you are a principled debater who shares the same opinion regardless of who is to blame!