Annoying "negative" questions

FranglaisFranglais Posts: 3,312
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ever come across forms where the question is like "do you not feel that........?" or something like that and you're not sure what it means thus not quite sure if you place the tick in the box if you meant "yes" or "no"?

I'm seeing a lot more of this these days.

It's confusing!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,103
    Forum Member
    This gets on my tits too. I don't know why people add the "not". I reply "No I do/ Yes I don't feel that.....", in the event that I do/don't agree with their implied belief.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In German this is solved with "doch". The positive answer to a negative quesiton/statement. :D When I learnt it, I desperately wanted one for English too.
  • ĐironaĐirona Posts: 15,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i don't understand the question

que?
  • ArtymagsArtymags Posts: 18,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This made me think of 'Allo 'Allo!
    Every time Rene's wife catches him snogging a waitress and says, "Rene ! What are you doing with that girl in your arms?"
    he always replies, "You foolish woman. Do you not see that........" etc. etc. :D

Perhaps the negative question is essentially French.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Đirona wrote: »
    i don't understand the question

que?
    Do you not see how it could be confusing?

:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    Do you not see how it could be confusing?

:)

Ha ha. I do not see what you did there.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    We have a shift handover sheet at work full of those. If you answer all the questions logically and correctly if there are no problems then it should be a row of Yes's. But there is usually a random mix of Yes's and No's.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the same in courtroom dramas. The lawyer asks "Are you not the ....whatever?" or worse, "you are, are you not, the ....?"

If you are, is the correct answer to the first one "no", or "yes" if you aren't? The second, I can never work out. :)
    Forum Member
    That is another one: The courtroom lawyer's love of the compound question: "Did you or did you not kill your wife?" :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    That is another one: The courtroom lawyer's love of the compound question: "Did you or did you not kill your wife?" :rolleyes:

The answer to that is "yes" .
    Forum Member
    Indeed. But would you trust the judge to understand and direct the jury properly or the jury to understand anyway if you were that truthful and precise.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd probably just **** the system and squeeze in "yes, I do feel that..." or "I do not feel that..." instead of doing a ticky box. It's easier in court cause you can just say "I am such-and-such" or "I did not kill my wife."
  • Mrs MackintoshMrs Mackintosh Posts: 1,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work in a school and we have a principal teacher who speaks like this all the time. The children are permanently confused by him and stand like rabbits in headlights whilst he bellows things like "Did you or did you not hit Thomas?" "What did I tell you NOT to do when you came into this classroom?" and other linguistic gems.

I don't like him by the way..:o
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Almost as bad as people who say "I ain't done nothin'", or "I ain't got none"
  • darkthunder35darkthunder35 Posts: 5,016
    Forum Member
    The most annoying question is the one at the airport.

Could anyone put anything in your luggage without you knowing? Well obviously not or I would have known:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you! I always have this problem and end up repeating the full sentence back. What's the correct response?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Indeed. But would you trust the judge to understand and direct the jury properly or the jury to understand anyway if you were that truthful and precise.

I prefer to look on it as truthful and imprecise.
    neon tiger wrote: »
    Thank you! I always have this problem and end up repeating the full sentence back. What's the correct response?

If it were me (I'm sorry ...if it were I) I'd answer with a definitive statement. "I did .... " or "I did not....".
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is particularly annoying in computer programming.