Options

Would you end 10/20 years of marriage over a racist comment?

Nuartey1Nuartey1 Posts: 2,333
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Picture this scenario: you're in a major row with your husband/wife of 20 years and you both have different racial heritages/backgrounds. The marriage has been great so far up until that row. You may or may not have children. In the heat of a moment your partner utters something racist to you/calls you a racist word.

Would you divorce them?

Comments

• Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, it is a pretty gross betrayal of trust. Although if I had a black wife who called me chalky or honky in the heat of an argument, I'd probably just collapse laughing and we'd make up ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,908
    Forum Member
    Nuartey1 wrote: »
    Picture this scenario: you're in a major row with your husband/wife of 20 years and you both have different racial heritages/backgrounds. You may or may not have children. In the heat of a moment your partner utters something racist to you/calls you a racist word.

Would you divorce them?

I can't see myself ever married to someone capable of that, but, it would be, in my view, one of the ultimate betrayals.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    For me, it would depend exactly what was said. Also, how much you think he/she meant it.

Also, how good your life together has been so far. Like, if you've had 20 lovely years together and the outburst was really out of character for them, then letting it slide this time might not be such a bad idea. But if your marriage has been turbulent anyway and you can't look back and say you've loved all the time you've been together, a comment like that could easily push you over the edge.

Then again, if you've gone so far as contemplating divorce, it must have been pretty damn serious!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me, it would depend exactly what was said. Also, how much you think he/she meant it.

Also, how good your life together has been so far. Like, if you've had 20 lovely years together and the outburst was really out of character for them, then letting it slide this time might not be such a bad idea. But if your marriage has been turbulent anyway and you can't look back and say you've loved all the time you've been together, a comment like that could easily push you over the edge.

Then again, if you've gone so far as contemplating divorce, it must have been pretty damn serious!

No, we're assuming that the marriage has been very good up until this row. :D
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do racists marry someone from a different race and then keep quiet about being racist for 20 years:confused::confused:
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picture this scenario: you're in a major row with your husband/wife of 20 years and you both have different racial heritages/backgrounds. The marriage has been great so far up until that row. You may or may not have children. In the heat of a moment your partner utters something racist to you/calls you a racist word.

Would you divorce them?

No, next question.
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Do racists marry someone from a different race and then keep quiet about being racist for 20 years:confused::confused:

They're devilish cunning these racists and play a long and patient game.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    No, we're assuming that the marriage has been very good up until this row. :D

In that case, I don't think I'd go so far as divorce. It's sad, but sometimes people just bring up the one thing that's going to hurt you most in the heat of the moment/in the middle of an argument, and regret it straight after.

Don't get me wrong, he/she would be in the dog house for a hell of a long time though.
  • Options
    RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose a lot of people might find recourse to a 'flashpoint' insult if the urge to really hurt is there at what would have to be a pretty extraordinary moment. For others, it might be violence, etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It depends how racist they are. If it's KKK territory obviously they're not going to mary a person from a different race but that's not the scenario I've created here. Some people may have racist views but marry their partner despite this. For instance, some racists may still bang Halle Berry. It's not always black and white. (No pun intended)

Have you ever watched Divorce Court? There was a such a marriage where the husband was constantly goading the woman about her race despite being together for a very very long time.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member

Would you divorce them?

Probably not - the thing with rows is, people say things to try and hurt you in the heat of the moment. It's not necessarily their real viewpoint;
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    No, next question.

Another no from me as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In that case, I don't think I'd go so far as divorce. It's sad, but sometimes people just bring up the one thing that's going to hurt you most in the heat of the moment/in the middle of an argument, and regret it straight after.

Don't get me wrong, he/she would be in the dog house for a hell of a long time though.

I think I'd do the same. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    No, next question.
    Another no from me as well.

Could you go into more detail? :)
  • Options
    KindaKinda Posts: 4,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    academia wrote: »
    They're devilish cunning these racists and play a long and patient game.

:D:D I'm going along with this argument
  • Options
    danletodanleto Posts: 2,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. That's just a crazy logic.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could you go into more detail? :)

In a marriage a lot of things are said, including insults infinitely more damning and hurtful than a racist comment. I would simply assume it was made in a flash of temper, and forget it.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have you ever watched Divorce Court? There was a such a marriage where the husband was constantly goading the woman about her race despite being together for a very very long time.

No, I have never watched Divorce Court:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Well, it is a pretty gross betrayal of trust. Although if I had a black wife who called me chalky or honky in the heat of an argument, I'd probably just collapse laughing and we'd make up ;)

As would I :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,908
    Forum Member

I don't know...maybe I'm just not geared up that way, but I wouldn't and have never thought of retaliating in an argument with anyone with racist comments.
  • Options
    Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope. Posting a question on DS about it might though... go and talk to your OH OP :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadow27 wrote: »
    Nope. Posting a question on DS about it might though... go and talk to your OH OP :D

Haha, there's always one. Fortunately, I'm not married, or in a relationship or a racist! :D
  • Options
    Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha, there's always one. Fortunately, I'm not married, or in a relationship or a racist! :D

So it is a pointless thread!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadow27 wrote: »
    So it is a pointless thread!

Then why are you in it? :rolleyes: I created the question because I was genuinely interested to read other people's opinion's. If you think it's pointless then there are other threads on the page. No one is forcing you to stay here.
  • Options
    queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My husband and I are both different races and have been together for 20 yrs.

I would divorce him....if he said I was fat!;)