Options

BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stephen Nolan was on for longer than originally planned due to delays in the boxing.
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mall wrote: »
    Amazed to find that there's Boxing on Five Live and Five Live Sports Extra tonight.

Whatever you think of boxing or the Nolan programme surely Nolan should be on Five Live and the Boxing on Five Live Sports Extra.

To coin a phrase...the clue's in the title!

The reason for this was because Radio 5 Live specifically wanted to broadcast the Anthony Crolla world championship fight, yet the BBC had radio rights to the whole card, which included a world title fight for Scott Quigg. So they decided to put the Quigg fight on BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra only, but simulcast the Crolla fight on both stations. I imagine it made sense for them to continue broadcasting on 5LSE once they began on 5 Live, if they are using the channel already they might as well continue uninterrupted and if it was necessary they will have be able to do more post-fight coverage on 5LSE after it was deemed that 5 Live should return to Stephen Nolan.

I also agree with Matt that world championship boxing should take priority over an hour or so of the Nolan programme - if anything I think there's an argument that the Scott Quigg fight should also have been on 5 Live.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone just called Noi-lan..... Declan :D:D:D:D

He's spouting his normal tripe. :(
  • Options
    Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's milking every last drop from the death of Jules Bianchi. Just had to play the interview again of a close friend of the driver starting to cry whilst speaking to him. Ghoulish broadcasting.
  • Options
    StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That trailer for Georgie Ainslie'a programme all about her darling husband is starting to grate, was no-one else available to host it?
  • Options
    RinkenderRinkender Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Great to see Nicky back on breakfast
  • Options
    Harry_StevensHarry_Stevens Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will be back to 5 Live when the football starts up again............:)
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

For 'football', read 'Premier League'.
  • Options
    LandisLandis Posts: 14,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I will make 5 Live Drive a regular listen when Peter Allen is reinstated.

The childlike urgency with which the current presenter tried to introduce his "puns" into light news stories and not so light news stories was astonishing yesterday afternoon. Even his co-presenter was trying to stop the moronic verbal flow.

Remember.....If there is an unprecedented grave/serious news event in the United Kingdom between 4pm and 7pm.....the BBC anchor keeping you up to date as you drive home from work will be.......Tony Livesey. :o
  • Options
    JanielovesyouJanielovesyou Posts: 814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not impressed with guy (didn't catch his name) presenting breakfast especially with his stereotypical comment after the paper review
    Not word for word but along the lines of you've heard the newspaper headlines so go along to your local newsagents and get yours from that nice Mr Patel
  • Options
    chandlerpchandlerp Posts: 4,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was Nihal. You see, he can use stereotypes because he's "one of them"
  • Options
    superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    chandlerp wrote: »
    That was Nihal. You see, he can use stereotypes because he's "one of them"

He occasionally stands in for dreadful Dotun on UAN. Much as it pains me to say it, I think I prefer Dotun, and I can't stand him.
  • Options
    JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    He occasionally stands in for dreadful Dotun on UAN. Much as it pains me to say it, I think I prefer Dotun, and I can't stand him.

Now that is a perfect example of damning with faint praise. :)
  • Options
    hoppyuppyhoppyuppy Posts: 10,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    5 Live is very poor, Dotun meets Dean is the biggest name dropper in the history of history and he isn't even half as close to being as intellectual as he thinks he is.

If they don't ditch Rachel Burble in the morning, I am writing it off completely.>:(
  • Options
    evangeline007evangeline007 Posts: 2,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hoppyuppy wrote: »
    5 Live is very poor, Dotun meets Dean is the biggest name dropper in the history of history and he isn't even half as close to being as intellectual as he thinks he is.

If they don't ditch Rachel Burble in the morning, I am writing it off completely.>:(

I think she is terrible and her tone and manner sounds like she does not enjoy it. I do not enjoy it and never listen, the only time she sounded happy was due to the fact she was going on holiday, that is a smack in the face to loyal listeners like myself, if she is not happy please resign and get someone who is grateful (Anna from Drivetime), happy to sit for three hours or so and sounds,like she enjoys it (Aasmah former presenter). Rachel comes across as rather spoilt.
  • Options
    evangeline007evangeline007 Posts: 2,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL, Are you a glass half full or half empty.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nolan programme covering Cilla Black's death:

Two of the interviewed celebrities had not even met her... Esther Bloody Ranzen and Kiki Dee. (Thankfully Tony Blackburn did the business).

Who makes these programmes?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you think that was bad, I hope you missed the 45 minute bulletin from 2pm today. Whether you consider her death worthy of the coverage it has received is subjective (utterly ridiculous IMHO) and it isn't easy to cover something that wasn't expected. It was left to the newsreader to present what sounded like a 'we've found someone to comment, let's get them on air' production process. Lionel Blair, Andy Peebles, Holly Johnson, Noel Edmonds and a radio 1 DJ were amongst them. Truly desperate stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nolan programme covering Cilla Black's death:

Two of the interviewed celebrities had not even met her... Esther Bloody Ranzen and Kiki Dee. (Thankfully Tony Blackburn did the business).

Who makes these programmes?

I switched off straight away when I heard what the subject was going to be. I pretty much guessed anyway. Cilla Black was a middle of the road entertainer, her death is sad for her family and friends but why we have to endure these grief fests everytime a celeb dies is IMO pathetic. The media drag these events for all they are worth, if they could interview the pet cat they would. I wouldn't be surprised if the phone in tomorrow isnt 'what are your memories of "Cilla' . I will then have to scream. >:(

LOUDLY!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I switched off straight away when I heard what the subject was going to be. I pretty much guessed anyway. Cilla Black was a middle of the road entertainer, her death is sad for her family and friends but why we have to endure these grief fests everytime a celeb dies is IMO pathetic. The media drag these events for all they are worth, if they could interview the pet cat they would. I wouldn't be surprised if the phone in tomorrow isnt 'what are your memories of "Cilla' . I will then have to scream. >:(

LOUDLY!

Her death could call for the return of the Derbyshire Misery Hour though...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A contribution from a fellow Ds correspondent on the DS Showbiz section:

There was a bit of an odd eulogy from Esther Rantzen on a phone-in show at 10pm on BBC Five Live. She sang Cilla's praises and how 'down to earth' she was, although she admitted that 'our paths never crossed'. She then went on to say something like: "Although she had all the bling, she was still 'our Cilla', and then put her 'charm' down to her Irish ancestry.

If the 'meejah' wants to ask celebs for comments on a person's life, surely it would be more appropriate to interview someone who actually knew them? Esther seemed to just know her from seeing her on TV - like most of us!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bloody knew it....... Cilla is the phone in today >:(>:(>:(>:(>:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Off to LBC it is then
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bloody knew it....... Cilla is the phone in today >:(>:(>:(>:(>:(

I do hope "plebs" (the underlings) ring in to say how she really was. They will get short shrift no doubt from the luvvies.
  • Options
    JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    Off to LBC it is then

Not a lot of relief from the Cilla love in on there either.
This discussion has been closed.