Options

Is a pub legally required ....

jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is a pub legally required to have a cash register with a screen visible to the customer? Buying a round of drinks yesterday (an extremely rare occurrence) in a pub I'd never been to before, I noticed that there was nothing to show the prices as the server tapped in the details; the till was on the counter in front of me, with the server behind it.

The server then announced the total, but didn't hand me any form of detailed bill, or even just a grand total.

Not only that, but I couldn't see any price list visible from the serving area of the bar. However, I've been told on another forum that having the prices in a menu is sufficient, even though there were no menus on the bar at that time.

Finally, how do I find the Trading Standards body responsible for an area? I found about four possibilities, but none had any means of inputting complaints.

Comments

• Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    visible cash register no, but price list I believe so

http://howtorunapub.co.uk/pub-price-lists/
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they should be able to provide a detailed receipt as its not unusual for business entertainment purposes claiming back etc and for their own stock checking purposes as well and also quite a few have CCTV on the tills for anti theft purposes also.
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    visible cash register no, but price list I believe so

http://howtorunapub.co.uk/pub-price-lists/

agreed
  • Options
    mjpalinmjpalin Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    I used to work in a "proper" family run country pub. For drinks we simply had a price list on the wall and then did the "maths" in our heads as we served a round of drinks - no relying on itemised tills, a requirement of the job was memory and good maths!

If a customer wanted a receipt for entertaining, it simply stated meals and the amount, and drinks and the amount.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies. I'll certainly be quoting the document in post 2 when I contact Trading Standards.
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    ................ also quite a few have CCTV on the tills for anti theft purposes also.

Which way do the CCTVs point?
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the risk of stating the obvious..

Could you not have just asked?

Either verbally to confirm the prices or asked for a physical copy of a price-list, or even your receipt.. ?
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A full price list should be on view, clearly, to the customer.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    farmer bob wrote: »

I must admit I've been in to many pubs and never seen such a document (although I don't dispute the legality of what you're saying).

I think a lot of places just turn a blind eye to it.

Of course, you usually get wine lists and full menus if they serve food, but I've never seen a list pinned up itemising all of the drinks sold and their prices.
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    I must admit I've been in to many pubs and never seen such a document (although I don't dispute the legality of what you're saying).

I think a lot of places just turn a blind eye to it.

Of course, you usually get wine lists and full menus if they serve food, but I've never seen a list pinned up itemising all of the drinks sold and their prices.

In Scotland it is legally required.
  • Options
    Vix77Vix77 Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the place I work we have a price list next to the bar, you can request a bill before or just after you pay if you query the price of the round
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Were you unhappy with the price? All you had to do was ask for a receipt. Going to Trading Standards seems ridiculously over the top to me.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Licensed premises are required to display or make available a whole lot of information:

http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Legal/Licensing-law/Legal-checklist-Pub-notices-on-display
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Did you ask them where the price list was? Maybe it was there but you didn't notice it, Or have you just assumed there was non?

The reaction sounds over the top unless there is more to this
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Were you unhappy with the price? All you had to do was ask for a receipt. Going to Trading Standards seems ridiculously over the top to me.

It's utterly ridiculous.

OP, just ask for a receipt next time.
  • Options
    BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Is a pub legally required to have a cash register with a screen visible to the customer? Buying a round of drinks yesterday (an extremely rare occurrence) in a pub I'd never been to before, I noticed that there was nothing to show the prices as the server tapped in the details; the till was on the counter in front of me, with the server behind it.

The server then announced the total, but didn't hand me any form of detailed bill, or even just a grand total.

Not only that, but I couldn't see any price list visible from the serving area of the bar. However, I've been told on another forum that having the prices in a menu is sufficient, even though there were no menus on the bar at that time.

Finally, how do I find the Trading Standards body responsible for an area? I found about four possibilities, but none had any means of inputting complaints.

I work in a pub, if any customer asks for a receipt, I can print one for them. It's not an automatic thing, imagine if we automatically printed a receipt for every customer who just comes in for a pint?!
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bethaneeny wrote: »
    I work in a pub, if any customer asks for a receipt, I can print one for them. It's not an automatic thing, imagine if we automatically printed a receipt for every customer who just comes in for a pint?!

I can't see how anyone would actually care, being honest..

I wouldn't expect a receipt with a round of drinks, but I think they have to display a tariff by the bar area .
  • Options
    scottlscottl Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bethaneeny wrote: »

Some do - they give it back with your change in that annoying little tray.

As you drink more - you forget to check things :)
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    At the risk of stating the obvious..

Could you not have just asked?

Either verbally to confirm the prices or asked for a physical copy of a price-list, or even your receipt.. ?

I had three thirsty relatives outside, and it was 10 minutes before I suddenly thought : hang on, isn't £16:35 a bit pricey for two and a half pints and a glass of wine? That's when it occurred to me that I hadn't seen either the prices rung up, or the total.

The server could have told me anything, true or not. Hence why I feel it's appropriate to approach trading standards. I suspect these may be offences under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008.
  • Options
    Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had three thirsty relatives outside, and it was 10 minutes before I suddenly thought : hang on, isn't £16:35 a bit pricey for two and a half pints and a glass of wine? That's when it occurred to me that I hadn't seen either the prices rung up, or the total.

The server could have told me anything, true or not. Hence why I feel it's appropriate to approach trading standards. I suspect these may be offences under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008.

Large glasses of wine are often around the £5 mark. Pints around the £3 to £3.50 depending on the pint, and so, half pint £1.50 to £2. Prices vary from pub to pub and place to place around the country.

You should've either looked for a price list, asked at the bar when you were there, queried the price when you were at the bar and/or asked for a receipt when you are at the bar.

To still be worrying about this and going getting on your high horse and going all guns blazing wanting to go to Trading Standards is ridiculously OTT.

If you're really still bothered about it, before you go all guns blazing, why not go back to the pub and ask what the price is of drinks and see if there's a price list around?
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    farmer bob wrote: »

In my experience the list is usually "clearly on display" in a remote corner of the bar, behind the coffee machine or hasn't been updated in months.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dare Devil wrote: »
    ................You should've either looked for a price list, asked at the bar when you were there, queried the price when you were at the bar and/or asked for a receipt when you are at the bar.......................

There are indeed many things I should have done, but the fact is that I didn't. So that's the point I have to start at.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    In my experience the list is usually "clearly on display" in a remote corner of the bar, behind the coffee machine or hasn't been updated in months.

In which case I imagine they're in breach of the Regs. I'm not in a position to know whether they have, so I'll leave it to a body who should know.
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suspect these may be offences under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008.
    God almighty Smithy you self confessedly bought your first round since the second world war and are outraged at the price? A large glass of wine can be close to a tenner. Get over it.
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Where abouts are you? A large glass of house wine is £6 in my local and pints about £3 odd. So that's total doesn't seem off to me, certainly not enough to be thinking of trading standards! :o