Options

Is a pub legally required ....

2»

Comments

• Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, it's not so much the price (their glasses of wine do go up to £8.40, according to their online menu), as the cash register not having a screen visible to the customer. I don't think I've ever seen that in any other establishment.

Even in my youth, when cash registers were huge machines, and the operator pushed a lever down to push a tab up to the top, the amounts on the tabs were visible from both sides.

From a quick look at the 2008 regulations, they seem to be, in a large part, about transparency of charges. If a one-sided till isn't against the regulations, it should be.
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The price list is displayed on the back of a postage stamp on top of the skirting board, All complaints must be made in person to Barry our bouncer.

Thank you,

The Management.
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Actually, it's not so much the price (their glasses of wine do go up to £8.40, according to their online menu), as the cash register not having a screen visible to the customer. I don't think I've ever seen that in any other establishment.

Even in my youth, when cash registers were huge machines, and the operator pushed a lever down to push a tab up to the top, the amounts on the tabs were visible from both sides.

From a quick look at the 2008 regulations, they seem to be, in a large part, about transparency of charges. If a one-sided till isn't against the regulations, it should be.

If you are just perusing the till not having visibility to the customer then you are wasting your time as it is not a legal requirement as stated
  • Options
    Plucky_OctopusPlucky_Octopus Posts: 736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't see how anyone would actually care, being honest..

I wouldn't expect a receipt with a round of drinks, but I think they have to display a tariff by the bar area .

An another ex-barmaid, our tills were quite old, and if anyone wanted a receipt, a button would need to be pressed before the transaction was completed, otherwise a manager would have to run back through the previous sales, and if it's busy, no one wants that. We had a little screen behind us, which sometimes we forgot to turn on in the morning, but, no bother as we had wonderful advertisements on the bar. The price list is usually in an awkward place, but if you ask where is it, all staff will be able to tell you the location.

In all fairness nearly all pubs will have their price list online now as well, so, less of a demand to have it fully on display, as you can check. If you were in a busy area then the price you got. not actually that bad, from the price you stated I'm going to assume the two pints were either £4 or £4.50, half £2.50 and the glass of wine depending on size either £5/6.
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If you hardly ever buy a round - as you say - it's not really all that surprising that you've never noticed what pub tills look like, is it?
    Or that you didn't think to look for the price list that they're required by law to have on display.

Unless you go back in there and ask the staff to show you where their price list is displayed and they can't do that because there isn't one, you're on a hiding to nothing going to Trading Standards.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    If you are just perusing the till not having visibility to the customer then you are wasting your time as it is not a legal requirement as stated

If that's true, then it should be.

Anyway, thanks for the useful replies, and especially to Plucky_Octopus for the interesting remarks.

I think I'll drop out of this now, since I'm busy with other things (I'm glad we didn't have the interweb thingy before I retired!) , but feel free to chat among yourselves. ;-)
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SJ_Mental wrote: »
    The price list is displayed on the back of a postage stamp on top of the skirting board, All complaints must be made in person to Barry our bouncer.

Thank you,

The Management.

Sure it wasn't on display in the basement, in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet, stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying “Beware of the Leopard”?

(The great Douglas Adams for anyone that didn't know).
  • Options
    Sansa_SnowSansa_Snow Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't normally check the prices of drinks as I have a kind of idea what I expect the price to be and just accept it but recently got caught out - I asked for two vodka and lemonades and got served two double vodka and lemonades, it was a really busy bar so I didn't feel able to challenge it, I was so annoyed and couldn't even drink them as they were too strong to be enjoyable.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    isn't £16:35 a bit pricey for two and a half pints and a glass of wine?

No, but you might have grounds for complaint if they didn't make it clear what measure of wine you were getting. Most pubs now ask whether you want 125ml or 175ml, though I think some even sell 250ml measures.

I only recently found out that in addition to pints and half-pints, one-third and two-thirds of a pint are legal measures. Some pubs sell "craft" beers in 1/3 pint glasses because of the high alcohol content.
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hence why I feel it's appropriate to approach trading standards. I suspect these may be offences under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008.

You ordered a round of drinks. The server told you the total cost. You could've asked how much each drink was but chose not to, and paid for them. And now you want to involve Trading Standards?

This place never ceases to amaze me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had three thirsty relatives outside, and it was 10 minutes before I suddenly thought : hang on, isn't £16:35 a bit pricey for two and a half pints and a glass of wine? That's when it occurred to me that I hadn't seen either the prices rung up, or the total.

The server could have told me anything, true or not. Hence why I feel it's appropriate to approach trading standards. I suspect these may be offences under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008.

Sounds about right to me... mind you I think it can e a bit pricey around my neck of the woods... went to a pub suggested by the person I was meeting recently, pint of bitter and a large glass of red.... 12 quid :o

I bought 3 pints (2 beer and a bottled cider) and 2 lattes last night.. 19 quid.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aftershow wrote: »
    You ordered a round of drinks. The server told you the total cost. You could've asked how much each drink was but chose not to, and paid for them. And now you want to involve Trading Standards?

This place never ceases to amaze me.

welcome to the wacky world of the Internet :D