Electric power flats

linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,700
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am looking at some which are electic heating how does everybody find electric cookers vs gas like cooking times? Do you have to wait for hot water for the shower or can you still take long showers?

Also anybody know what TalkTalk is like for Internet or BT as may have to go with them they have various offers on.

And overall should I buy oil filed heaters and would anybody recommend a tumble dryer washing machine or one of those cheap ones which saves space you plug in think it's a JML?

Comments

• Chihiro94Chihiro94 Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd prefer gas to electric for cooking but wouldn't let it be a deciding factor plus it might depend on how good your cooker is? Elecritric shower is fine, I'd have thought probably the better of the two as you dont risk running out of hot water.

I'd say bt or sky over talk talk, they're cheaper but you pay for it in customer service. I'm not even with them, but they're holding my internet up, and trying to get it sorted is proving to be a nightmare.

If it's an upper floor flat you might get away with heating, I've always been upper floor in Scotland and have managed to get away with heating for years. I have a small electric heater if I really need one. (Cant help you if it's more central heating orientated renter so never has to wprry About that kind of thing).

Not sure about washerdryers, but which reviews and the reviews on Argos might be a good place to start. I'be not heard great things about them, personally is probably try and get seperates or just the washing machine but I'm not well versed (again, renter so not usually my remit). Not sure what the jml thing is but again if it were me I'd try and buy a proper machine. :)
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cool the flats I am looking at are a bit bigger than the gas heated one at the price range and over all look a bit better. Always been worried about going for a full electic but with it being my first flat I don't plan on staying there forever.
  • YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    Always been worried about going for a full electic ...

You should continue to worry, especially with regard to heating.

Each kilowatt-hour of electricity consumed will cost you three to four times more than that of gas.

http://www.thegreenage.co.uk/cheaper-heat-home-gas-electricity/
  • wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If there's just you I can't imagine the heating be on much anyway.
  • YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    wampa1 wrote: »
    If there's just you I can't imagine the heating be on much anyway.

Are you personally acquainted with the OP or do you possess psychic powers?
  • TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    I am looking at some which are electic heating how does everybody find electric cookers vs gas like cooking times? Do you have to wait for hot water for the shower or can you still take long showers?

Also anybody know what TalkTalk is like for Internet or BT as may have to go with them they have various offers on.

And overall should I buy oil filed heaters and would anybody recommend a tumble dryer washing machine or one of those cheap ones which saves space you plug in think it's a JML?

Ok, different things for different people I like an electric oven and gas hob and gas grill.

Electric showers are instant and cost around 10p for every 4 minutes.

It doesn't matter which electric heating method you use, a 2Kw heater is equally as efficient as any other 2Kw heater. An oil filled radiator helps mitigate the peaks and troughs you get with traditonal convector or fan heaters though and can result in a comfortable room at a lower temperature.

Get a separate washing machine and condensor tumble drier if you can. Whilst one machine is washing the other is drying. These "space saver" things are all very well - but don't forget that the moisture that is evaporating is condensing inside the house which can result in damp on walls and windows and a higher cost in heating the house to get rid of the damp.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yosemite wrote: »
    Are you personally acquainted with the OP or do you possess psychic powers?
    I'm a single person living in a flat. My heating is hardly on. If there's just you you just throw a jumper on or get under a blanket when watching a film or something.
  • EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    Prefer electric cooker, things take less time compared to the gas cooker we had

Electric shower, can have a shower as long as you want
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    My wife and I live in an all-electric flat and our monthly Scottish Power DD is only £58.

We have an efficient Dimplex Quantum storage heater and use an instantaneous water heaters in the kitchen and an instant electric shower. I can't remember the last time we switched the boiler on.

We don't wear extra jumpers or hide under blankets when it's a wee bit nippy outside. The flat is never below 21 degrees Celsius when we are in.

The DD would be lower if my wife didn't insist on spending 20-odd minutes in the shower every day and putting the washing machine on during the day rather than after midnight!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, different things for different people I like an electric oven and gas hob and gas grill.

Electric showers are instant and cost around 10p for every 4 minutes.

It doesn't matter which electric heating method you use, a 2Kw heater is equally as efficient as any other 2Kw heater. An oil filled radiator helps mitigate the peaks and troughs you get with traditonal convector or fan heaters though and can result in a comfortable room at a lower temperature.

Get a separate washing machine and condensor tumble drier if you can. Whilst one machine is washing the other is drying. These "space saver" things are all very well - but don't forget that the moisture that is evaporating is condensing inside the house which can result in damp on walls and windows and a higher cost in heating the house to get rid of the damp.

Yes I know people with a dryer and they do create alot of damp but it's in another room.

What about these? http://www.tesco.com/direct/jml-dri-buddi-indoor-clothes-dryer/204-0182.prd

I am tad worried about drying clothes as the place wouldn't have radiators and its a communal drying area plus you can they clothes dryed in the winter any good solutions?

My alternative is take a gas flat use the gas central heating but I know someone who done that and got an expensive bill as it was on day and night..
  • TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Yes I know people with a dryer and they do create alot of damp but it's in another room.

What about these? http://www.tesco.com/direct/jml-dri-buddi-indoor-clothes-dryer/204-0182.prd

I am tad worried about drying clothes as the place wouldn't have radiators and its a communal drying area plus you can they clothes dryed in the winter any good solutions?

My alternative is take a gas flat use the gas central heating but I know someone who done that and got an expensive bill as it was on day and night..

If you are going to dry clothes in a house, then whatever moisture is "dried" out of them is going to condense on the coldest surface in the room. Usually the walls or windows. This will create a damp problem. Having a nominated "damp" room in the flat isn't going to help you.

The only way to stop this is to use a condenser drier (as the water is collected in a reservoir) or to dry outdoors.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/indesit-idc85-freestanding-condenser-tumble-dryer-8kg-load-c-energy-ratingwhite/214-3813.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=214-3813

Or if you want something a bit more efficient.

http://www.johnlewis.com/zanussi-zdh8333w-heat-pump-condenser-tumble-dryer-8kg-load-a-energy-rating-white/p1603126

If you want top of the range

http://www.johnlewis.com/miele-t8007-supertronic-heat-pump-condenser-tumble-dryer-8kg-load-a-energy-rating-white/p452552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are going to dry clothes in a house, then whatever moisture is "dried" out of them is going to condense on the coldest surface in the room. Usually the walls or windows. This will create a damp problem. Having a nominated "damp" room in the flat isn't going to help you.

The only way to stop this is to use a condenser drier (as the water is collected in a reservoir) or to dry outdoors.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/indesit-idc85-freestanding-condenser-tumble-dryer-8kg-load-c-energy-ratingwhite/214-3813.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=214-3813

Or if you want something a bit more efficient.

http://www.johnlewis.com/zanussi-zdh8333w-heat-pump-condenser-tumble-dryer-8kg-load-a-energy-rating-white/p1603126

If you want top of the range

http://www.johnlewis.com/miele-t8007-supertronic-heat-pump-condenser-tumble-dryer-8kg-load-a-energy-rating-white/p452552

So these dryers are different to other ones on sale? Do they still have the tube out the window ect?
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    So these dryers are different to other ones on sale? Do they still have the tube out the window ect?

No they dont need the hose out of the window
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live in an all electric flat and everything is fine except that I have storage heaters which are rubbish. Thankfully, we are getting the heating system with the pellets in soon but for years I have only put one heater on and heated the other rooms with halogen or oil filled radiators. The problem with the storage heaters is that the heat is mostly gone by the time you actually need it in the evening. My monthly bill is £117 but I have two daughters who are never out of the shower or on various devices and who are always "cold". I also have a condenser dryer and absolutely no damp problem.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why someone getting a high bill because they had the heating on 24/7 would dissuade you. Just don't have it on 24/7 (and as mentioned in a few posts you'd probably hardly have it on anyway in a flat)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live in an all electric flat with economy 7 tariff so it's cheaper electricity 12pm-7am.

For heating I have the almost universally hated storage heaters, but I think they're great. Downsides vs gas is that you can't put clothes directly on the radiator and in about May/June time sometimes the weather is nice and you'll put the heating off, then it will be baltic the next day and you've knocked the heating off the day before. That's only usually over a period of a week or so when summer is rolling round. They keep the place nice and toasty and cost very little to run. There's very little to break on them though VS a combi boiler.

I have a ceramic hob cooker which is crap, well the oven is OK, but boiling a pan of water takes forever. The heat goes very quickly if you turn the gas ring down, but electric takes longer, so if your pan is boiling it's backside off you have to take it off the ring until the heat has gone a bit.

I used to put clothes on a clothes horse in front of the storage heaters overnight and run a dehumidifier which works, but I have a tumble dryer and use that for as much as I can as it's quicker than the dehumidifier method. Haven't really noticed much difference in the bill either, though it's not on a lot. I just have one of the cheapo White Knight compact ones. I looked at spinners but they were almost as much as the tumble dryer.

I've just moved from BT to TalkTalk, I have fibre optic and my phone line is crap so I get 19 MB on a good day. (ADSL is unusable) Paying £21.70 a month to TT for unlimited fibre and line rental, whereas I was paying BT nearly £50 for the same and some TV channels that I never watched (and rarely worked because my phone line is so flaky). Been with TT less than a month but had no issues so far. I'm getting about 24 MB/ 1.5 MB upload. The upload was about double on BT but download 19ish.

Showers - you might have an electric shower that heats on demand (I do) rather than use the water tank so you could shower as long as you like, when you like and not have to wait. WIth a water tank, in the summer you could pretty much have one when you like and not have to wait for the immersion heater to heat. In the winter after tea time ish, you'd be best off sticking the heater on for 20 mins or so. But it depends on how much water you use during the day or how many people are living there, and where the tank is. Mine is in an unheated room (hallway cupboard) near an outside wall with no extra lagging or anything.

BIll is dirt cheap - £31 a month and always in credit by quite a way.