Options

Hands up if you dislike Joel because he a Tory

SquidgemsSquidgems Posts: 193
Forum Member
I can't understand what all this class warfare is about. It seems that a lot of people have taken a dislike to Joel because he is interesed in politics and even worse supports the Tories!

Well I'm not happy that they won the election but I don't go around forming my views about someone by first asking what political party they support. And then assigning them with aĺl the negative attributes that I associate with a party I'm not keen on.

All the descriptions of him being slimy, smug, manipulative etc are very harsh. To my mind a lot of those views can be said of most of the housemates at some time or another.

I think a llot of people distrust Joel because he is defintely not your typical teenager - he seems to have been born old or just out of his time. But then the little boy in him escapes and it's a sight to behold. Love, love, love that he's into ABBA, can do a **** drop with the best of them, is not afraid to let out a girly scream, but is interested in other people and can hold an intelligent conversation.

in a sea of mock stupidity (or actual in the case of Danny) Joel is breath of fresh air!

So Joel for the win or at least in the top three along with Nick or (ducks first) Jack as although a moaner and a bit bitchy has been interesting and insightful at times.

Comments

• Options
    SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know why being a Tory is such a bad thing. Aren't all politicians/parties pretty much the same in this Country?

If you'd said, "Hands up if you dislike Joel because he wants to be a politician" then it would probably make more sense to me. But even then, it's his life he can do what he wants.

I don't think there's anything more admirable about being a Labour or Lib Dem or UKIP supporter, than being a Tory supporter. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    The SchnonglerThe Schnongler Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    I dislike Joel because he's a pompous arse.
  • Options
    NatashaSmytheNatashaSmythe Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    No, him being a Tory doesn't worry me in the slightest. It's not a General Election it's BB and I hate the Tory party.
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    OK. Hands down.

Now hands up if you like Joel because he's a Tory.
  • Options
    dmcbdmcb Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    I've never voted tory and I never will but i'm voting for Joel cos he seems like a decent guy
  • Options
    atkoatko Posts: 4,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Squidgems wrote: »
    I can't understand what all this class warfare is about. It seems that a lot of people have taken a dislike to Joel because he is interesed in politics and even worse supports the Tories!

Well I'm not happy that they won the election but I don't go around forming my views about someone by first asking what political party they support. And then assigning them with aĺl the negative attributes that I associate with a party I'm not keen on.

All the descriptions of him being slimy, smug, manipulative etc are very harsh. To my mind a lot of those views can be said of most of the housemates at some time or another.

I think a llot of people distrust Joel because he is defintely not your typical teenager - he seems to have been born old or just out of his time. But then the little boy in him escapes and it's a sight to behold. Love, love, love that he's into ABBA, can do a **** drop with the best of them, is not afraid to let out a girly scream, but is interested in other people and can hold an intelligent conversation.

in a sea of mock stupidity (or actual in the case of Danny) Joel is breath of fresh air!

So Joel for the win or at least in the top three along with Nick or (ducks first) Jack as although a moaner and a bit bitchy has been interesting and insightful at times.

I dislike him because he has no personality whatsoever & isn't remotely interesting. His questioning other housemates to make them look bad are certainly not endearing & his 'performing' how he believes the public want to see him is so annoying!
  • Options
    threecheesesthreecheeses Posts: 23,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't stand the Tories and so happy their Fox Hunting vote got delayed, idiots !
    I could go on for hours about how stupid this country was to vote them in, but have had my political moan in the early weeks and this is a BB forum.
    He is only young, hopefully he will switch as they won't be in next time.

Joel to win :D

...or Jack :)
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    I quite like Joel, despite his politics. He's a bit too robotic for me sometimes, and he does come over as a snob, but none of them are perfect.
  • Options
    SquidgemsSquidgems Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    atko wrote: »
    I dislike him because he has no personality whatsoever & isn't remotely interesting. His questioning other housemates to make them look bad are certainly not endearing & his 'performing' how he believes the public want to see him is so annoying!

Questioning other housemates to make them look bad? Surely it is up to the other housemate and their response as to whether they will look bad or whatever.

For me Joel justs like debating with others and I enjoy that side of him as he asks the questions that I want answering. And more importantly he doesn't accept nonsense answers and will probe the others. This is what I watch BB for. It's is to find out about the housemates and their motivations and not for silly tasks where they get dunked in fish guts.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hands down, I don't agree with his politics but this isn't a communist country!
  • Options
    AxistAxist Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    I hate the tories and love Joel.

I think it's because his heart seems to be in the right place even if his political leanings are a bit off the mark.
  • Options
    MirageMirage Posts: 39,247
    Forum Member
    Someone's political views don't sway me at all when it comes to BB or any reality/talent show. I like Joel and I would love him to win, but I also like Nick and can cope with Jack or even Cristian winning, but just not Danny or Chloe.
  • Options
    WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dislike the fact that he is a Tory, because I don't like the Tories and I do like Joel. I like him more than anyone in the house actually. I also like that he has such a keen interest in politics, not because I appreciate politics but because I find his passion laudable. And anyone who thinks politics is pointless, or that a young man being interested in politics is weird, is just narrow-minded. There may be many aspects of our current political system that people rightly dislike, but the solution to that is political reform, not ignorance.

Democracy for the win! :)
  • Options
    TracyTracy Posts: 6,229
    Forum Member

Isnt that the same?;-)
  • Options
    SH1965SH1965 Posts: 372
    Forum Member

Same here, he is pompous and has a very high opinion of himself, which can go hand in hand with wanting to be a politician. I don't vote Tory therefore why would I vote for someone claiming to want to represent them. Plus he obviously can't let it go that Jack choose to take the £24 k. Joel thinks he will win and wanted it all!
  • Options
    NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    I like him. He did seem a bit hung up about Harry's nudity though. (I am a conservative btw - just to add my two penn'th).
  • Options
    nanna7nanna7 Posts: 1,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My reasons too
  • Options
    nanna7nanna7 Posts: 1,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SH1965 wrote: »
    Same here, he is pompous and has a very high opinion of himself, which can go hand in hand with wanting to be a politician. I don't vote Tory therefore why would I vote for someone claiming to want to represent them. Plus he obviously can't let it go that Jack choose to take the £24 k. Joel thinks he will win and wanted it all!

Remember Joel isn't in for the money lol as if
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agree.
  • Options
    connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member
    I don't know why being a Tory is such a bad thing. Aren't all politicians/parties pretty much the same in this Country?

If you'd said, "Hands up if you dislike Joel because he wants to be a politician" then it would probably make more sense to me. But even then, it's his life he can do what he wants.

I don't think there's anything more admirable about being a Labour or Lib Dem or UKIP supporter, than being a Tory supporter. Just my opinion.
    No there not "all the same". Joel is not a support of the conservative party, he is a councillor.

I think being a UKIP member would be even worse for most people.
  • Options
    connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member
    I knew the insults would come. People can only explain their dislike Joel by saying it's because he's a tory or insulting him. :D
  • Options
    TomAceTomAce Posts: 441
    Forum Member
    I can't, I'm typing and holding a cup of tea.
  • Options
    wotnotwotnot Posts: 9,565
    Forum Member
    I dislike Joel because I don't like his nature. I dislike the Tory party for their policies.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joel being a councillor - a school governor - involved with two charities - means this NINETEEN year old is one exceptional individual trying to do good for his local community... I wish there were more people like him interested in helping their local community... pompous? Occasionally perhaps but at least he hasn't pretended to be any one else...
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I knew the insults would come. People can only explain their dislike Joel by saying it's because he's a tory or insulting him. :D

I couldn't give a rats ass what politics he stupidly decides to devote his life to. I dislike him because he is a comes accross as a smug, self righteous and superior individual. I have disliked him all the way through, he has done nothing to change my mind. Moreover, the new cabaret, all singing and dancing Joel has only exacerbated my dislike for him.

If by stating MY opionons on him are perceived by you and his other supporstes as insulting, so be it. It is me giving my valid opinion on a BB housemate and calling out the traits I find deeply diselikeable in him. Every person on this forum will have a particular person they will like or dislike and post their opinions accordingly.

It's churlish to insult the forum members for being insulting when all we . well I am doing is stating my opinion. You do it too connor.