Question for the girls re:tampons

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,034
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi! I've got a problem that's bugging me, and I'd really appreciate some advice - I'm having BIG trouble trying to insert tampons! I've tried and tried for a good few months now, and I just can't get the sodding things in! :mad: I'm desperate to use tampons as I hate towels, so if any of you girlies on here can give me some tips I'd be really grateful! Thanks! :D

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a bit of lube may do the trick.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't either :o
  • 80's chick80's chick Posts: 5,207
    Forum Member
    LouC wrote:
    Hi! I've got a problem that's bugging me, and I'd really appreciate some advice - I'm having BIG trouble trying to insert tampons! I've tried and tried for a good few months now, and I just can't get the sodding things in! :mad: I'm desperate to use tampons as I hate towels, so if any of you girlies on here can give me some tips I'd be really grateful! Thanks! :D

are you using the applicator types. I can only use them if they have an applicator, and tapax compac is the best as they 'glide' in smoother than the cardboard ones.

I'd kind of perch myself over the loo, sort of squatting, you know if you went into a public loo and hover over the seat, that position, breathe and then push them in sort of pushing it towards your lower back,
    i could only use these after i had lost my virginity for some reason, i couldnt insert them before that, it hurt like hell,

I hope this helps
  • 80's chick80's chick Posts: 5,207
    Forum Member
    also there should be a diagram in the box :) , i'd never go back to towels now, i much prefer tampons, but do read the part about toxic shock syndrome, its rare, but it good to know so you are aware
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    try this tampax
  • GoldilocksGoldilocks Posts: 7,349
    Forum Member
    When I first started to use them it took some perservance to actually suceed in my objective. The more I thought about it the more difficult and painful it became. Try to relax when doing it as it makes the tampon go in and as another FM said push up and towards your lower back.
  • topcat2topcat2 Posts: 6,265
    Forum Member
    the ones I started with were playtex glide I think they are the easiest applicator ones

http://www.boots.com/shop/product_details.jsp?productid=1013704

If you want to go non applicators these are prob the best to begin with
    are the lillets ones that come in lubricant packs if they still make them.

If not then get some lubricant and slip a bit round the tip of the tampon and ease it in.

It took me ages like 2 years to be able to insert them and now I'm all mooncupped up so once you start you'll be fine its just getting that first one in I don't even use towels anymore.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Experiment with different types and brands, some are easier than others. Don't try unless you are actually on your period. Don't stress about it - if you are scared or stressed, your muscles will tense up and make it even more difficult to insert a tampon, so just try to relax.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try some lube and a if its very bad a err.. hammer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just keep trying. thats the only way. Try different positions too
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    Try using smaller tampons first, like Tampax light. Also, it's often easier if you leave it a couple of minutes to relax and then try. Sometimes at the start and at the end of your period it's difficult anyway.
  • SquishySquishy Posts: 2,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't use too high an absorbency, it makes it harder. Just relax, it doesn't matter if it doesn't work, try again later. It will come in time..or so I presume. But I agree trying different brands and types would be good, you might get on with some better than others.
    This is a bit like the time a friend couldn't use them, I had to shout instructions through the door for her, so funny!
    Forum Member
    This girl at my school who I used to be friends with told me her mum helped her insert her first one yuk. I love my mum and shes helpful but I don't want her to be that helpful.
  • CrashedCrashed Posts: 1,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ask the butler to insert it...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    I was lucky enough to have an understanding big sis to explain what I needed to do when I first started - drew me a diagram an' all bless her!! But as for topcat2's friend....eeeewwww!! That's just gross. I'd never be able to look my mum in the eye again (no pun intended...)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    topcat2 wrote:
    This girl at my school who I used to be friends with told me her mum helped her insert her first one yuk. I love my mum and shes helpful but I don't want her to be that helpful.

omg thats just reminded me of when i was at college. we were all due to do some residential work with the disabled and the year above us told us that we would have to help with their tampons (in and out)! i was so gullible in\those days!
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK, If you are determined to use them, (warning - bit graphic)

Use a brand with an applicator.
    Smear a little KY Jelly on the applicator
    Lie on your back with your feet together, close to your bottom, knees up, then relax your knees so they come down as far as possible.
    Use your finger to locate the 'opening'.
    Messy, but slid your finger in first, then remove.
    Insert the applicator.

It gets easier after the first few attempts.

If you can't, then you could have vaginitis - involuntary spasm of the vagina. This isn't unusual or perminant. Or, if you are a virgin, your hymen is intact.

Basically if a baby can come out, a tampon can go in, but it might take a bit of practice.

If you still can't, console yourself with the fact you won't get toxic shock symdrome. Leave it till next month, then try again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smear a little KY Jelly on the applicator

Sorry, the mention of KY Jelly reminds me of Billy Connolly and his parody of the Village People's hit In The Navy, called In the Brownies.

Cue Connolly wearing a Brownie's uniform dancing around to the tune and singing...

#It's O-K-Y Worry?

(I'll now kindly leave you all in peace. :o )
  • swirlygirlswirlygirl Posts: 5,390
    Forum Member
    If you're that dry you can't get it in, then I would say you aren't bleeding enough and probably shouldn't be wearing them.

Get a mooncup!
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have used tampons - without an applicator since i was about 15.

I started off gradually, using mini ones until i was confident - and then worked my way up to larger ones.

I tend to just squat in the bathroom slightly and insert.

I have to say that i struggle at the very end of my period as i am 'drier'. I tend to use a towel then ... if i really have too as i hate them. Its like having a duvet in your knickers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,786
    Forum Member
    Lying on your back kind of in "missionary position" is really the easiest way. Or you can try one-leg-up-on-bath which is also rather good.

I think you should keep trying. Towels are absolutely vile and so inconvenient whereas tampons work really well: you can just get on with everything as normal. And don't be scared to push it in really hard - don't worry, you won't damage yourself and it won't hurt the second time!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Theres a band of lillets now which come with lube.

http://www.lil-lets.com/products/extra-comfort/

Not use them before though so dont know if theyre any good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,475
    Forum Member
    I'd agree with the start off with mini ones - one foot on the side of the bath usually makes it a bit easier to get the right angle as well, just make sure you don't slip or it could be embarressing all round if someone has to break the door down to rescue you :eek: :o

Incidentally I'm 32 and a mother of three and still can't use the bloody applicator ones - I've found lil-lets the easiest (sometimes the cheaper ones can be a bit harder to insert too...) :o
    Forum Member
    latszas wrote:
    Theres a band of lillets now which come with lube.

http://www.lil-lets.com/products/extra-comfort/

Not use them before though so dont know if theyre any good.

They are ok not that great I still think its easier to learn with an applicator.

Make sure you check the use by dates on those the pack i bought was a very short use by date don't know whether that was because of the lube or just the shop was selling them off close to the date.
  • mulldoonmulldoon Posts: 4,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :eek: :eek:... Aren't blokes lucky?? ;):D