Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,034
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all!

I'm going to Sydney at the end of this year, just after Xmas, and I'm seriously thinking about doing the Harbour Bridge Climb, it sounds brilliant! I'm also a bit nervous though, like I'll freak out halfway up or something! :eek: I was just wondering if anyone on here has ever done the climb, and what their experiences of it are, good or bad?! :D

Cheers! xxxx

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    I did it! HIGHLY recommended. :D

You are taken through the climb beforehand and shown how to use the equipment. You get kitted out from head to foot - boiler suit, hat, rain mac, gloves, hanky, torch etc.

You are, for want of a better word, 'chained' to each other (about 12 to a group, plus guide), and harnessed to a metal 'rope' on the bridge. There is no way you can fall off.

I'm not scared of heights, however, there is one bit where you are above the traffic on a 'catwalk' - that I would think would be the most scary part. When you are actually on the bridge, you can't actually see the drop.

The view you get from the top is breathtaking.

Go do it, it'll be something you never forget.
  • timeytimey Posts: 19,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have liked to have done it but it looked way too scary for me.
  • PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have liked to have done it but it looked way too scary for me.

Yes me too, I prefer to sit in one of the many lovely wine bars in The Rocks and look at the view from there. :D
  • timeytimey Posts: 19,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PamelaL wrote:
    Yes me too, I prefer to sit in one of the many lovely wine bars in The Rocks and look at the view from there. :D
    Aaaahhh. Brings back memories. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go up the AMP tower - you get more or less the same views I would imagine :D
  • scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its expensive to do the tower climb, I ran out of money by then so just went up the pillers at either side of the bridge for $8 intead, fantatsic views, or go up the tower.
  • simondsUU933wsimondsUU933w Posts: 4,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know this is a (very) old thread but I was wondering if there was any more up-to-date feedback on the BridgeClimb?

It's VERY expensive (nearly £125!) and was wondering if it really was THAT good?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,103
    Forum Member
    That looks like a lot of fun. Less expensive than, say, getting your car fixed.
  • mungobrushmungobrush Posts: 9,332
    Forum Member
    It's an experience you'll never forget.

Spectacular

Looks scarier that it actually is.

And it's about A$200 which at today's exchange rate is £110
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    Loved it - an amazing experience. Nowhere near as scary/strenous as it looks. Beautiful views with the added bonus of being outside (as long as it's not too windy)!

Highly recommended
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved doing it too!
    Also recommend, if you can afford it.
    Surprisingly doesn't seem that high up when you're there.
    But if it's super-windy or you really do have a massive fear of heights, re-consider! ;)
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    My sister's done it but I haven't. I'm scared of heights so wouldn't even contemplate it.
  • googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep it's brilliant. I did it the day after New Year's Day and all the big moving lights that they'd used in the firework display were all still up there bolted to the bridge next to where we walked. It's worth doing just because it's the Sydney Harbour Bridge and every time you see it on the TV or a film you can think to yourself "I climbed that". Be aware that unfortunately they don't let you take your own camera, in case you drop it on a car down below. In fact you're not allowed to take anything loose with you, even the hat and handkerchief they supply you with are attatched to the suit!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    I hate heights so I never did it, I much prefer watching others climb it from a safe distance!
    The train I used to catch to work each day went over the Harbour bridge, I couldn't even bear to look out the window, it was way too high up for my liking :D
  • FOXPRESIDENTFOXPRESIDENT Posts: 4,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have done it, and I would do again the next time i'm in Sydney. It's an amazing experience, and although it is expensive, I can say i've done it. It is very safe, and the view, the experience, the fun, the walk, was just well out of this world! Obviously this is only applicable if it dosn't start raining and it's perfectly fine. Which on my day it was!

I've got some photos of me and my team doing the climb, I had to pay for them, it was expensive but worth it! Funny enough, i've just been looking through actually!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did it in 2003, can't recommend it enough,
    1 thing that was off putting was a story that 1 of the guides told us about 1 of the engineers when they were building it,
    he fell off the road level into the water, not the highest point by any means, but still deadly, the only thing that saved him, was he unclipped his tool belt as he fell, this fell before him and broke the waters surface, but the impact was still great enough to split his work boots, he had to have the leather surgically removed from his groin area. :cry:
  • CabbagesAhoy!CabbagesAhoy! Posts: 1,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate heights but made myself do it and I'm so pleased I did.

One thing - about ten minutes into the climb there were two blokes just standing there.

When we got back down we asked our guide who they were and he said they were for people who had cold feet and wanted to go back. It's VERY well organised - they think of just about everything. Including elasticated hankies for runny noses!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Hi; I am a new member and just found this thread. Thanks for the info ... if I ever make it down there, this will be on my list of things to do!

shbridgeclimb.jpg
  • simondsUU933wsimondsUU933w Posts: 4,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers all - such overwhelming positive feedback is impressive :)

Will book today!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i know a couple who got married on the bridge. they loved it.
  • I love EllieI love Ellie Posts: 8,009
    Forum Member
    Right then, my turn.

I did it back in 1998, when it was a relatively new thing (for instance, they weren't doing night climbs then).
    It cost me AUD 120, which was about £50 at the time.

It was an excellent 3 hours, but one word of warning is don't get pissed the night before. They breathalyse you before the climb. If you fail, you don't climb and you don't get your money back.

I agree with the views up the bridge tower are great, plus you get a little museum there too. It was only $2 when I went.

The funny thing was, I was working for Optus at the time. I went to the 32nd floor of Optus Tower and there's a viewing platform there, with higher views than the bridge!

I've still got my free Bridge Climb picture somewhere.
    Forum Member
    simonp820 wrote: »
    Cheers all - such overwhelming positive feedback is impressive :)

Will book today!

Excellent - you won't regret it.

Then there's fish and chips at Doyles on Circular Quay - best you'll ever have

And coffee - loads of excellent coffee shops

And Chinese food - go to Chinatown - best ever

Harbour cruise is a MUST

Then the obligatory visit to Summer Bay (Palm Beach) and walk up to the old lighthouse - best views ever in the world

(Sorry - I'm getting homesick)
  • PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mungobrush wrote: »

Harbour cruise is a MUST

Then the obligatory visit to Summer Bay (Palm Beach) and walk up to the old lighthouse - best views ever in the world

Ah Sydney, big deal, you've got a harbour and a bridge... so what. Melbourne's a far superior city, starting with the coffee. :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    mungobrush wrote: »

Harbour cruise is a MUST

...and be a total tourist and get sunburnt on Bondi...

I'm all homesick now! :D
    Forum Member
    PamelaL wrote: »
    Melbourne's a far superior city, starting with the coffee. :p

Gotta admit that the concept of really excellent coffee began in Melbourne.

And all those Beef and Burgundy dinners I used to go to when I was working at Nunawading - nothing like that in Sydney

I think that Sydney is now the coffee capital now though.

There's a coffee shop just outside Richmond Station which boldly declares "Coffee here made by Sydney baristas" (or something like that)

And well - they are 2 different cities. I like Melbourne - but I love Sydney