Advice needed about Manchester!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,034
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi!

I'm thinking of moving to Manchester in the near future, but I'm not sure which area to go for! Could anyone please advise me on which are the best areas of the city to live, and which places to avoid??! Any help much appreciated!

Cheers :)

XXXX

Comments

• clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
    Forum Member
    Couple of similar threads here

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=492948&highlight=manchester http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=190846&highlight=manchester

Deciding on what area to go for probably depends on your circumstances. Disbury, and Chorlton are nice. Obviously the City Centre is very convenient, or if you can't afford the centre but want to be nearby Hulme is ok. The best thing to do would be to come up ( or down) a couple of weekends to get a feel for the place.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think we can safely say "avoid Moss Side"!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Urmston is reasonably priced, has good bus and train links to the city centre (no metrolink unfortunately), not rough in comparison to other parts of Manchester.
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    South Manchester, the suburbs as you head south, has some of the nice areas but expensive.
  • MCSMCS Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    South Manchester is good, but there are some good area's nearby which are also worth a look, like Heald Green and Cheadle. Heald Green has a train station that takes you into the city, also near the airport. I can recommend this area as I live there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Avoid Whalley Range and Hulme as well as Moss Side! I liked Rusholme (Curry mile, yum), Chorlton and Fallowfield Mind you, I haven't been there for a while so check with others first....
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Avoid Salford at all costs.
    2. Whilst Urmston & Flixton might be relatively quiet, they are also dull, and far from the city centre. You'll need a car. Excellent if you want to worship regularly at the Church of Our Lord Trafford Centre.
    3. Avoid Wythenshawe
    4. Withington is alright if you can't afford Didsbury (see 7&8), but it could be so much better with a little effort from Manchester City Council (lazy, bureaucratic little crypto-fascists)
    5. City Centre can be reasonable to rent but remember point 1. Some "City Centre" places are actually Salford.
    6. North and East Manchester are not for the faint-hearted. You might struggle here as a newbie. There are some up-and-coming areas, but you need to be committed to your research.
    7. Chorlton is not all it's cracked up to be. It is full of pretentious tossers who are deeply annoying. It is also vastly overpriced and most of the housing stock is in a dreadful condition. If you drive around here, expect mayhem.
    8. Didsbury. Quite violent at the weekends. Always noisy. Prohibitively expensive.
    9. Some parts of Stockport are safe and fairly quiet. Heatons, Gatley, Heald Green, Cheadle. There is a lot of good quality rented accommodation springing up round here. I'd say it was the independent-minded choice.
    10. I don't know much about Sale and Altrincham, but I reckon probably about the same as 9. You'll definitely need a car round here. Public transport in Manchester is fairly awful, and is getting much worse.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info guys! ;)

I'm in a council flat in Sussex at the moment - I'm actually looking to get a council transfer to Manc, but I don't know how easy it's gonna be, what areas are available, or how long it will take! Anyone done a council transfer before??! :D

Any further advice appreciated, cheers! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm. There's not a lot of council housing left in South Manchester.

Where I live, 3-bedroom "Ex-Local Authority" houses as they are euphemistically referred to, are selling for £130k+. The houses which haven't been bought privately, have been transferred to Housing Associations. Much of Wythenshawe has now been transferred.

I don't really know about other areas, but presumably MCC are transferring to HAs everywhere.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regarding doing a council exchange for a place in manchester,it's not that difficult,and you can search online when you have registered all your details.
    The most common site is http://www.homes.org.uk/
    If you are visiting your local council office it is the homes.org exchange list that they will have available to view which contains exchanges available for all parts of the uk.
    Time scale for looking for an exchange could be anything from 3 months to 3 years,but the actual process normally takes less than a month when you've agreed to exchange with the other tenant.
    I've done a few house swaps,first one only took a few months to get,next one was a full year,and more recently it has taken longer due to less council housing being available than there was say 20 years ago.