Options

Takes your shoes off before you come in..

Comments

• Options
    KubrickKubrick Posts: 1,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only people who have a problem with taking their shoes off are people with either rank, smelly or sweaty feet (usually all three).

It's their house. Their carpets. Their rules. Don't like it? Don't visit.

I've never asked anyone to remove their shoes when they've come to my house, but if they track bubblegum, mud, dog sh*t or oil etc., onto my carpets then they can clean it up. If they can't clean it up then they can pay to have the carpet replaced.
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kubrick wrote: »
    The only people who have a problem with taking their shoes off are people with either rank, smelly or sweaty feet (usually all three).

I've never asked anyone to remove their shoes when they've come to my house, but if they track bubblegum, mud, dog sh*t or oil etc., onto my carpets then they can clean it up. If they can't clean it up then they can pay to have the carpet replaced.

Prize for best host here.:D
  • Options
    rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its my natural instinct to take my shoes off!... I feel odd when people say its alright to keep them on when you enter someones house
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rick182 wrote: »
    Its my natural instinct to take my shoes off!... I feel odd when people say its alright to keep them on when you enter someones house

I'd feel odd too, it would just feel so weird sitting indoors in shoes, just like it would if you sat there with your coat on too. It's akin to sayiing "I'm not stopping long so I'll keep all my outdoor stuff on"
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Blimey that's harsh! Good friends don't come round and make a mess anyway in my experience and strangers I don't let in.
  • Options
    FringoFringo Posts: 7,995
    Forum Member

How do you cope if someone accidentally spilt a glass of red wine? Or are people only allowed clear drinks in case of such an incident?
  • Options
    Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fringo wrote: »
    How do you cope if someone accidentally spilt a glass of red wine? Or are people only allowed clear drinks in case of such an incident?

ooooo ooooo ooooooooo I know the answer

pour a glass of white wine on it straight away

Although the poster might actually be dead by that point
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ooooo ooooo ooooooooo I know the answer

pour a glass of white wine on it straight away

Although the poster might actually be dead by that point

Indeed! They probably have a Crash Cart prepared in the case of such an eventuality to prevent any cardiac arrests that may occur.
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always take my shoes off in other people's houses unless they are walking around in shoes themselves.

When I first had my living room carpet (cream! sorry Rhumba:D) my kids were young and I used ask them to make sure their friends took their shoes off.

Most adults know if their shoes are dirty - and most took their shoes off as soon as they saw me take mine off. But that was years ago - I'm not precious about my carpet now. Though most of my friends prefer to take their shoes off so they can slump on the sofas with their feet up.

Interestingly there is one oily mark on the carpet that has never come out - that was one of my friends. But from the start I would never ask someone to take their shoes off - they may have good reasons to keep them on!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always take my shoes off in other people's houses unless they are walking around in shoes themselves.

When I first had my living room carpet (cream! sorry Rhumba:D) my kids were young and I used ask them to make sure their friends took their shoes off.

Most adults know if their shoes are dirty - and most took their shoes off as soon as they saw me take mine off. But that was years ago - I'm not precious about my carpet now. Though most of my friends prefer to take their shoes off so they can slump on the sofas with their feet up.

Interestingly there is one oily mark on the carpet that has never come out - that was one of my friends. But from the start I would never ask someone to take their shoes off - they may have good reasons to keep them on!!

Cream carpet droogie with children?

Madness, I tell ye.

We suffer from cat hairballs and spilled coffee and tea more than anything.

But I've got a lovely tough multi beige/fawn/cream/brown mottly carpet.

I love it - EVERYONE I know loves it.

Beautiful rugs on top and it can take bloody anything.:D

I do clean it too. (Doesn't look massively different mind, but I do).

You fell for the whole 'showhome bit' didn't you love:D
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cream carpet droogie with children?

Madness, I tell ye.

We suffer from cat hairballs and spilled coffee and tea more than anything.

But I've got a lovely tough multi beige/fawn/cream/brown mottly carpet.

I love it - EVERYONE I know loves it.

Beautiful rugs on top and it can take bloody anything.:D

I do clean it too. (Doesn't look massively different mind, but I do).

You fell for the whole 'showhome bit' didn't you love:D

Nah - It matched the sofa I had (tho' not so much the ones I have now.......:o)

Anyway - it was always funny watching the kids on all fours or hopping on one leg to get something after they'd already started putting their shoes on to go out. (Twas only the living room carpet that was out of bounds from young shoes!).
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Starpuss wrote: »
    Yup. Putting your soft furnishings before the feelings of guests is not good manners. It is also a bit tacky. Sorry!

And coming into someone's house with shoes on when they are your host is rude!

Host's needs > Guest's needs > Meaningless social conventions.
  • Options
    80's chick80's chick Posts: 5,207
    Forum Member
    I'm a deffo shoes off in the house person even my 4 year old takes her shoes off now upon entering ours or anyone else's home

Shoes - outdoors
    Slippers - indoors

Don't confuse the two it's very odd
  • Options
    Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80's chick wrote: »
    I'm a deffo shoes off in the house person even my 4 year old takes her shoes off now upon entering ours or anyone else's home

Shoes - outdoors
    Slippers - indoors

I get sick all the people in waitrose slithering around in the aisles, damn slippy ungrippy slippers.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I went to view a house once and we were told to remove our shoes before entering.

I wouldn't have minded, but their floors were filthy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    80's chick wrote: »

Shoes - outdoors
    Slippers - indoors

So do you supply slippers for visitors or should they bring their own?

For a dinner party I'd find wearing slippers rather odd footwear myself.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Just wondering if the people who insist on shoes off have cats or dogs? What do they do in this situation since they will be tracking outside dirt in all of the time? We don't have a rule, mostly shoes off as a comfort thing but never ask guests to do the same. Am happy to take them off in someone else's house if they ask.
  • Options
    2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nard Dog wrote: »
    NO :mad:

and memo to muslims

its NO again :mad::mad:

what is wrong with people?

I await the day when Muslims are blamed for meteor showers, snow in the middle of summer, natural deaths of humans, and the slow death of our sun.

It isn't far off when you read bonkers posts and threads like this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fringo wrote: »
    So do you supply slippers for visitors or should they bring their own?

For a dinner party I'd find wearing slippers rather odd footwear myself.

Me too - all dressed beautifully, bloody socks on.

Classy.

But the carpets - the carpets:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stephen (Fry) SO pleased to see you, come in come in - er and take your shoes off. The carpets an' all.

Have the dinner with a splendid outfit and no shoes - you don't mind do you? Sitting there in your socks like?.

Err...okay.

And here's Judy Dench - looking fabulous in a beautiful dress, just for the occasion and your guest.

Take yer shoes off, the CARPETS you know.

Oh.. right.

Really, honestly - it's naff and wrong.
  • Options
    xmodz10xmodz10 Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nard Dog wrote: »
    NO :mad:

and memo to muslims

its NO again :mad::mad:

what is wrong with people?

racist, it just aint muslims that say it.
    im muslim people wear shoes inside my house on the ground floor. when going up to the bedroom then NO. would you really want all the stuff you steped on in your bedroom you dirty ******
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xmodz10 wrote: »
    racist, it just aint muslims that say it.
    im muslim people wear shoes inside my house on the ground floor. when going up to the bedroom then NO. would you really want all the stuff you steped on in your bedroom you dirty ******

This has been dealt with, I think, some Muslims do, and some don't.

I personally think that NO one should go upstairs without express permission, or for the loo.

That's a private area of the house.

Muslim's traditionally have more 'public' and private areas too, I believe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Me too - all dressed beautifully, bloody socks on.

Classy.

But the carpets - the carpets:eek:

This is basically an argument between the anal and not anal isn't it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    I await the day when Muslims are blamed for meteor showers, snow in the middle of summer, natural deaths of humans, and the slow death of our sun.

It isn't far off when you read bonkers posts and threads like this.

im seriously getting annoyed now that people even believe the crap they here about muslims. iv had people asking me the most stupidest questions just because im muslim and they think muslims actually do what they think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This has been dealt with, I think, some Muslims do, and some don't.

I personally think that NO one should go upstairs without express permission, or for the loo.

That's a private area of the house.

Muslim's traditionally have more 'public' and private areas too, I believe.

muslims dont traditionally have more pubic and private areas too. its like you said no one should go upstairs without permission.

you wouldnt want to find someone in your bedroom would you.