Is Plaistow a good area?

2»

Comments

• PuckyPucky Posts: 4,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand that some locals try and make it sound posh by pronouncing it like Plars-tow rather than Place-tow.

A customer of our family firm phoned up and wanted an item delivered to Bat-er-see-a (or Battersea!) Someone else said they lived in St Reatham.
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Apparently the Mountfitchet family owned the district and one of them married into the 'de Plaitz' family, pronounced 'plahz'... Or that's one story, anyway.

But, yeah, it should be pronounced "plah-stow", apparently...
    I meant to indicate I was actually joking, but now you've reminded me about the de Plaitz family.
  • CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I understand that some locals try and make it sound posh by pronouncing it like Plars-tow rather than Place-tow.

Posh? Not Plaistow, but I have always known it to be pronounced 'Plars-tow', it's not some locals, it's everyone. I have only ever known people who aren't Londoners pronounce it any other way.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have to agree with Radiomaniac - I've lived in East London since the age of 4 and Plaistow is one of the areas I avoid. Can't remember the last time I was there - I must have been about 18 and I'm 32 now.

Wouldn't consider buying a place in Plaistow - look more north-east Newham i.e Forest Gate or Manor Park. Not Plaistow.

I would avoid forest gate and manor park, they are too close to Ilford, which is an absolute hell hole.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Posh? Not Plaistow, but I have always known it to be pronounced 'Plars-tow', it's not some locals, it's everyone. I have only ever known people who aren't Londoners pronounce it any other way.

And the automated voice on the district line/hammersmith and city line. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,735
    Forum Member
    Cam1_Zap wrote: »
    I'm living in Plaistow for 2 years.I'm 30 years old female from Poland and I never had any problem on the street etc..It is not Chelsea,but very cosmopolitan and same as most areas is London.Never heard of any stabbing or seen gangs ..

You must be going around with your eyes closed! The whole of Newham is now a dump and that's putting it nice.

There have been at least 2 shootings since November in Plasitow, a shop keeper and a 15 year old boy in his own bed. They are just the 2 that spring to mind probably loads more.

That 16 year old girl who was punched to the ground was in plaistow aswell.

My aunt got dragged to the ground for her bag about 10 years ago outside the tube station.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    I was born in east London.

Is Plaistow a nice area - no. In fact I could not think many worse areas to live in the capital!

I also note the comments about Ilford - it used to be a nice place 20 years ago. If you want to see how uncontrolled immigration can totally destroy an area and a community - go there. I saw recently a prostitute got murdered right in the town centre - its so sad to see how low it has fallen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,735
    Forum Member
    Also want to add the amount of homeless Eastern Europeans over the last few years is appalling. Drunks on every corner, pissing everywhere, going through all the rubbish bags. It's depressing.
  • HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cam1_Zap wrote: »
    I'm living in Plaistow for 2 years.I'm 30 years old female from Poland and I never had any problem on the street etc..It is not Chelsea,but very cosmopolitan and same as most areas is London.Never heard of any stabbing or seen gangs ..

There are parts of Chelsea you would not go to at night.

I don't think there is a borough in London that does not have their good and bad bits.
  • Absolute RotterAbsolute Rotter Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a bit rough
  • PinkvelvetPinkvelvet Posts: 10,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely not the nicest area, although haven't been there for about six years since my best friend moved from there.
  • floogfloog Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, it's shit.