Four in a Bed :: New Series (Part 3)

Comments

• ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnoali wrote: »
    I don't think they were gameplayers. They wouldn't have overpaid heyford house if they were.
    Glad Heyford house won, well deserved
    Many years ago when I worked in a youth hostel we were sent on Welcome Host training...Brock would benefit from a bit of that!

Brock and the scousers loathed each other, whereas the other couples loved each other. What a horrible week.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the Scousers..not sure if New Brighton aka the Last Resort counts...;-). might have thought they were in with a chance ..going first , being the cheapest but they did over pay Sonia and Leo. Thought they deserved to win just for being nice. All a bit too personal that trotting down in PJs to the kitchen..but unhappy flashing them in New Brighton windows...on second thoughts not wiss move that either.
    Thought the barge/narrow boat was pricy but AI and for a special treat a lovely idea. They seemed nice people who I wouldn't mind spending a couple of days on the canal with. Could I have brought my highly appropriate barge dog? Probably not with all that fine dining.:) Brock dear lord..pretentious little know-all with no hosting skills. No I wouldn't go and find him at midnight for a teabag....and how dare he refuse a spoon ( that was their business) and hot chocolate. A thick little posh boy with potty mouth ( that's what alienated him from the boys if I recall...along with dirty/clean sheet) who has done himself untold harm.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    Tonight's host..... has he had botox? His face is strangely frozen and movement-less.

That's one of the first signs of Parkinsons. He might be sick, but doesn't want to talk about it.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you imagine you book the boat, get two (or three) couples you dont like & the "Free" drink is flowing. Does he return to the same mooring place each night?
  • dee-recdee-rec Posts: 2,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Brock was awful, he had that horrible passive aggressive thing going on, oh I'm so fair, I haven't undercharged blah blah while being really nasty to the guests when they visited him. He had two women in the kitchen with him, surely one of them could have ran upstairs for a sachet of hot chocolate?? And as for the surly almost throwing a spoon at one of the scousers, how rude! And the voice, for goodness sake, it was awful. He should have stocked enough teabags etc in the rooms, as if the guys were going to wake him up for a tea bag in the middle of the night, bet he wouldn't have been so obliging if they had gone to him for one. Rant over!
  • LucyDTrymLucyDTrym Posts: 3,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [/B]Am I the only one who hates having to ask? I think it was remiss of Brock not to provide such basics as a matter of course when rooms are prepared for new guests, and unkind to put people in the position of having to ask. And who in their right mind would disturb a hard-working B&B owner in the middle of the night for tea and sugar? It's hardly a matter of life or death.

Having said that, I tend to check what is available on the hospitality tray and in what quantities on arrival, so that I know the 'allowance' - so to speak - and plan accordingly. The guys could have done that if they knew that they were heavy tea drinkers, and asked for more supplies at a civilised hour.

(OOPS I see that while I was typing, TGW already made my points, and expressed them beautifully )

Good point. How many drink tea at 12am lol.

Anyway not only that the fault was in the housekeeper she should make sure the refreshments are full. I used to work in a hotel as a head housekeeper its a golden rule that the refreshments are always replenished when someone leaves.

I have NEVER heard anyone ask for hot chocolate though for breakfast. Again the stuff for the rooms was probably in a locked cupboard and not in the kitchen. We used to keep it in a store cupboard on the first landing where the rooms were to save us having to go down to the kitchen constantly.

I thought the under payment on the boat by the two guys was ridiculous. 92.00 for the price of pair of knickers, hardly.

Mind you i would never have paid the amount to stay there I could have gone abroad for the same price for a week.

I live near Tetbury the price for the hotel room was a good price the guys should have paid full its ludicrous to cut money for one tea bag.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    If those knickers are worth £92 they should stick them on ebay
  • jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizaj wrote: »
    I think the Scousers..not sure if New Brighton aka the Last Resort counts...;-). might have thought they were in with a chance ..going first , being the cheapest but they did over pay Sonia and Leo. Thought they deserved to win just for being nice. All a bit too personal that trotting down in PJs to the kitchen..but unhappy flashing them in New Brighton windows...on second thoughts not wiss move that either.
    Thought the barge/narrow boat was pricy but AI and for a special treat a lovely idea. They seemed nice people who I wouldn't mind spending a couple of days on the canal with. Could I have brought my highly appropriate barge dog? Probably not with all that fine dining.:) Brock dear lord..pretentious little know-all with no hosting skills. No I wouldn't go and find him at midnight for a teabag....and how dare he refuse a spoon ( that was their business) and hot chocolate. A thick little posh boy with potty mouth ( that's what alienated him from the boys if I recall...along with dirty/clean sheet) who has done himself untold harm.

My Birkenhead-born husband with New Brighton-resident Auntie and Uncles would be very upset if anyone thought any of them 'scousers'! Wrong side of the river!

Pleased the 'Heyford' couple won - I know the area well, being an Oxfordshire girl by birth myself (although long since resident rather further south!) so felt a certain loyalty to them for that alone!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I checked TripAdvisor ..as you do...to find that York House and Brock have mostly glowing reviews. Can't believe he wrote 'em all' himself so looks like he was well' and truly wound up in some way.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FD wrote: »
    If those knickers are worth £92 they should stick them on ebay

Especially as their "Soiled", should fetch that.
  • Hershey2Hershey2 Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have only just watched this final and imo, I think Brock was very fair in what he said and his payments.

There obviously wasn't any love lost between him and the Liverpool guys and it showed, however, if I had to pick who I thought was 'in the right' I would pick Brock.

It wasn't mentioned how many t bags were in the room, as far as I can remember, and maybe there was enough for most people, none of the other guests made an issue of it.
    So I do think that Allan and Dave were just looking for something to pick at tbh.

Brocks 'delivery' in what he says sometimes is a bit 'off' but overall, I think he is an ok guy.
  • via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hershey2 wrote: »
    Have only just watched this final and imo, I think Brock was very fair in what he said and his payments.

There obviously wasn't any love lost between him and the Liverpool guys and it showed, however, if I had to pick who I thought was 'in the right' I would pick Brock.

It wasn't mentioned how many t bags were in the room, as far as I can remember, and maybe there was enough for most people, none of the other guests made an issue of it.
    So I do think that Allan and Dave were just looking for something to pick at tbh.

Brocks 'delivery' in what he says sometimes is a bit 'off' but overall, I think he is an ok guy.
    Agree.
    I've just watched this too and came on here to say all this...but you've already said it. :)

I think Brock actually wanted to be as fair as possible - having the same breakfast menu as usual for example, but of course the others put on a little bit more of a show for the competition.
    Not saying that anyone cheated. Just that I would actually feel that what I saw on the program at Brock's B&B was what I would also get, whereas everyone else would be fine, but not quite so 'perfect' as they tried to appear on the telly.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes the whole forensic analysis for dust and hairs is pretty silly when taken in context of "what would an ordinary punter find" as clearly to clean rooms to that degree would be impossible without an army of cleaners and inspectors - you'd be paying £1000s per night!
    The other daft thing is they go searching behind the sink and down the shower drain and play up over a few hairs that would only bother an OCD sufferer on the Howard Hughes level, but never get to inspect the kitchen - where their food is made!
  • KIZZY007KIZZY007 Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    Hershey2 wrote: »

They said they liked builders tea, which is probably about 4/5 bags per cup therefore surely they should have made sure they were well stocked before running out at an earthly hour.
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think we live in an era where reality tv isn't very real any more, so we get shows like FIAB and CDWM where they manufacture the drama because they must believe that's what people want to see. I myself have probably commented that certain weeks are 'boring' when the guests are getting along nicely, but where FIAB is concerned, people's businesses are at stake so I think the producers do them a disservice if there is any coaxing or fakery going on. I've seen many previous contestants of the show say on facebook how they were portrayed badly because of the editing. Don't we have enough drama to select from on the telly?

I'm not saying all drama is fake on the show, I'm sure there are people who genuinely don't get on with one another, but a lot of it (especially the stupid activities/games) seems just set-up to create friction. Or sticking your finger down a plug hole to find dirt. I mean really? Who does that? :confused: I don't even do that in my own home, I use an old toothbrush with some bleach to clean it and don't need to stick my nose down there for inspection. Just weird.
  • ArtemesiaArtemesia Posts: 43,241
    Forum Member
    I quite liked Brock and thought he was very fair overall and he paid fairly, too.
    He was a bit of a Diva over the criticism but when you love what you do and think you have got it just right, it can be pretty demoralising and,let's face it, you wouldn't go on TV if you thought that all your hard work would be ripped to shreds.
    I got quite upset myself over some really unfair criticism of a restaurant I ran even though it later turned out that the people were serial complainers who went around trying to con free meals.Constructive, I could take, (and did) but unfair felt horrible.
    The fuss over the tea bags was silly, I bet they don't put out a dozen or more tea bags on their guest trays.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »
    Yes the whole forensic analysis for dust and hairs is pretty silly when taken in context of "what would an ordinary punter find" as clearly to clean rooms to that degree would be impossible without an army of cleaners and inspectors - you'd be paying £1000s per night!
    The other daft thing is they go searching behind the sink and down the shower drain and play up over a few hairs that would only bother an OCD sufferer on the Howard Hughes level, but never get to inspect the kitchen - where their food is made!

You are spot on there. The kitchen could have herds of cockroaches crawling over the floor and they would never know, but as long as there is not a small hair caught in the shower or sink trap they're OK.

Much the same if you go round the back of the top London hotels to the loading bay, fresh bread, fish, meat etc just chucked around in all the dirt and dust, next to tubs of cooking oil, bleach etc... What you don't see....

Brock did seem a little ocd, almost mildly autistic.
    "They have not filled in the feedback form correctly", "not on the menu", his judging and paying fairly. But we never know how much of this is down to the editing.

His place was very nice and as has been mentioned before, excellent trip adviser feedback, with the exception of a handful of average comments, all of which he has responded to ....you can almost hear his voice when you read his comments.
    He must be doing something right

The current method of sellecting the winner doesn't seem a fair way of doing the scoring or payments and is so open to game playing.

The original way,(tiab) where payment was made at the end of each stay was ridiculous and open to manipulation.

As was when they changed it to saying whether you had made an under or overpayment.

The fairest way would be to do the feedback forms but keep them under lock and key till the end, therefore no one has an advantage. However, it would stop the arguments, grudges and tit for tat campagns (Which is what makes it unmissable) and would make it all a bit boring.
  • MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agreed with Brock about being given the chance to rectify a problem-until he had the chance to get a hot chocolate and didn't quite come off. He was narked and it showed, was not a big request. If he can't cope and gets harassed,he should not take it out on the guest.
    I don't really feel sure that he would have fetched the tea/coffee/sugar without showing he was irritated by it.
  • gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done to Leo and Sonia - they were a lovely couple with a great B&B, and they really deserved to win.

God but Brock was annoying (though fair play to him for standing up to the Liverpool lads as they were being picky)!
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Finally caught up.

So glad that Sonya and partner won. What a nice lady she is, and her voice!! :cool:

I quite liked Brock:o I agreed with a lot of what he said, and his payments were very fair. It was just his delivery ... he was like a comedy character. :D

Overall, I enjoyed the final week of this series.
  • Simon_Morris2Simon_Morris2 Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    Can anyone confirm if the series that starts tomorrow afternoon on channel 4 at 13.40 tomorrow is a new series ?
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can anyone confirm if the series that starts tomorrow afternoon on channel 4 at 13.40 tomorrow is a new series ?

My TV guide says it is.
  • Simon_Morris2Simon_Morris2 Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    Oh lovely something to look forward to watch after work :)
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sorry to disappoint but its not a new series.

They've just re-hashed them and called them "new". They've basically squashed a week's worth into an hour.

Dont shoot the messenger.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to disappoint but its not a new series.

They've just re-hashed them and called them "new". They've basically squashed a week's worth into an hour.

Dont shoot the messenger.

Ahhhh I thought it was suspicious when I saw it was an hour long. Thanks for letting us know BG. ;-)
This discussion has been closed.