Options

The Doctor: "Jumping the Shark"

Mr SetaMr Seta Posts: 380
Forum Member
Some shows "Jump the Shark" and go into terminal decline, some do the jump, go into decline and somehow keep on going (aka The Simpsons).

Jump the Shark -what is it? refer here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_the_shark

Where with Doctor Who of course, due to its unique magic & ability to adapt, is something different. I'd argue it has jumped the Shark several times, managed to recover & in one instance do the usual -go into terminal decline & be axed, only to be rejuvenated 16 years later and now is probably is in as healthy position as it ever was.

So if it has "Jumped the Shark" on more than one occasion, just where & how many times, & how was it "put right"?

I'd argue there are at least 2 occasions in the original series -the middle of the 4th (T Baker's reign) & the start of C Baker's reign.

Tom Baker's first 3 seasons were so good & so consistent, I think most would have to agree after this, then yes there was a "jump the shark moment" & that was after first story of the 4th season (Fang Rock). After this it didn't go into terminal decline, it was never as good or as consistent again, bar the odd story. It did go back up a peg or 2 again though after JNT (with assistance from Barry Letts) took over.

For me, the next "Jump the Shark" moment was "The Twin Dilemma". After this, the original series did go into terminal decline and was cancelled 5 series later.

Quite possibly the Doctor jumped the shark twice around this time ultimately leading to the cancellation, getting decidedly worse with the arrival of the 6th Doctor & then the 7th Doctor. I'm not necessarily saying in either case the actor cast as the Doctor was the main factor here, just pointing out it seemed to me two stand out points of decline (two really dreadful stories introducing new Doctors) & due to a combination of factors/ changes introduced.

What about any other times? Verity Lambert leaving? Maybe the last season of Troughton before Pertwee & the rejuvenation of what was Season 7?

What about new Who? I'm struggling here on this one. Possibly it never has. Some might say after RTD or the 10th Doctor. I'm not sure. What are your views/ opinions? I'd like to hear. :)

Comments

• Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the term has been completely and utterly robbed of it's original meaning and intent tbh. Doctor Who has never had a Jump The Shark moment.
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    Mr Seta wrote: »
    Some shows "Jump the Shark" and go into terminal decline, some do the jump, go into decline and somehow keep on going (aka The Simpsons).

Jump the Shark -what is it? refer here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_the_shark

Where with Doctor Who of course, due to its unique magic & ability to adapt, is something different. I'd argue it has jumped the Shark several times, managed to recover & in one instance do the usual -go into terminal decline & be axed, only to be rejuvenated 16 years later and now is probably is in as healthy position as it ever was.

So if it has "Jumped the Shark" on more than one occasion, just where & how many times, & how was it "put right"?

I'd argue there are at least 2 occasions in the original series -the middle of the 4th (T Baker's reign) & the start of C Baker's reign.

Tom Baker's first 3 seasons were so good & so consistent, I think most would have to agree after this, then yes there was a "jump the shark moment" & that was after first story of the 4th season (Fang Rock). After this it didn't go into terminal decline, it was never as good or as consistent again, bar the odd story. It did go back up a peg or 2 again though after JNT (with assistance from Barry Letts) took over.

For me, the next "Jump the Shark" moment was "The Twin Dilemma". After this, the original series did go into terminal decline and was cancelled 5 series later.

Quite possibly the Doctor jumped the shark twice around this time ultimately leading to the cancellation, getting decidedly worse with the arrival of the 6th Doctor & then the 7th Doctor. I'm not necessarily saying in either case the actor cast as the Doctor was the main factor here, just pointing out it seemed to me two stand out points of decline (two really dreadful stories introducing new Doctors) & due to a combination of factors/ changes introduced.

What about any other times? Verity Lambert leaving? Maybe the last season of Troughton before Pertwee & the rejuvenation of what was Season 7?

What about new Who? I'm struggling here on this one. Possibly it never has. Some might say after RTD or the 10th Doctor. I'm not sure. What are your views/ opinions? I'd like to hear. :)

Forgive me but you haven't said what the 'Jump The Shark' moments were exactly? :confused: Not liking a certain Doctor, episode or era isn't 'Jumping The Shark' and a producer leaving the show certainly isn't.

As poor as The Twin Dilemma is I personally cant see anything that would constitute jumping the shark.

For me the show has such a wide premise, from deadly serious to the most ridiculous spectacle but I would be hard pushed to think of an actual 'Jump The Shark' moment in the shows entire history.

Could you elaborate further:)
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    I can certainly cite the moment that the sixth Doctor supposedly fell of his exercise bike and regenerated at the start of Time and the Rani as such a "WTF" moment!
    Mind you, they were cartwheeling all over the shark for the rest of that story too IMO!
    :(
  • Options
    inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you could see 'The Twin Dilemma' as Jumping the Shark, especially as it came after the utterly brilliant 'Caves of Androzani'
  • Options
    Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    The only truly absurd thing, for me, was poor old Sylvester McCoy having to dangle from his umbrella in Dragonfire, for the sole reason of providing the literal "cliffhanger" ending for the episode.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only truly absurd thing, for me, was poor old Sylvester McCoy having to dangle from his umbrella in Dragonfire, for the sole reason of providing the literal "cliffhanger" ending for the episode.

Clara wasn't much use saving him from that one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    She was probably hiding away out of sheer embarrassment!
    :D
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Tony Tiger wrote: »
    I think the term has been completely and utterly robbed of it's original meaning and intent tbh.

Judging by the responses so far, I'd have to agree. The 'jumping the shark' moment isn't a moment that is bad in itself, but that brings into stark relief a decline already underway. It's the watershed point where you notice how bad things have become.
  • Options
    brouhahabrouhaha Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Seta wrote: »

The Wikipedia page you link to rightly states that Jumping the shark is an idiom created by Jon Hein that was used to describe the moment in the evolution of a television show when it begins a decline in quality, signaled by a particular scene, episode, or aspect of a show in which the writers use some type of "gimmick" in an attempt to keep viewers' interest.

Neither of your examples fit this definition. "Jumping the shark" isn't synonymous with a simple decline in quality. Lots of programmes decline in quality. Some of these declines can be said to have started with a particular moment in the programme which just stretched the viewers' credulity too far. For example, I'd say the moment in Dallas where Bobby Ewing - a character we'd seen killed on screen - reappeared in the shower and the season since his death was revealed to have been all Pam's dream was when that programme "jumped the shark". I can't think of a similar example in Doctor Who (even the massive error of judgement that was Love and Monsters). The Twin Dilemma just being a bit crap does not make it a "jump the shark" moment.
  • Options
    The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brouhaha wrote: »
    The Wikipedia page you link to rightly states that Jumping the shark is an idiom created by Jon Hein that was used to describe the moment in the evolution of a television show when it begins a decline in quality, signaled by a particular scene, episode, or aspect of a show in which the writers use some type of "gimmick" in an attempt to keep viewers' interest.

Neither of your examples fit this definition. "Jumping the shark" isn't synonymous with a simple decline in quality. Lots of programmes decline in quality. Some of these declines can be said to have started with a particular moment in the programme which just stretched the viewers' credulity too far. For example, I'd say the moment in Dallas where Bobby Ewing - a character we'd seen killed on screen - reappeared in the shower and the season since his death was revealed to have been all Pam's dream was when that programme "jumped the shark". I can't think of a similar example in Doctor Who (even the massive error of judgement that was Love and Monsters). The Twin Dilemma just being a bit crap does not make it a "jump the shark" moment.

Why you use this thread to have a go at the brilliant Love & Monsters is beyond me. Ignoring that, I would say that a similar "jump the shark" moment in Who was Amy "remembering" the Doctor into existence.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Have to say there has been a few moments were you could perceive a "jump the shark moment". First that springs to mind was the burping bin in Rose. Makes no sense and is pure gimmick, Spinning Christmas trees didn't exactly endear me to the first Christmas special but the ultimate has to be not so much as jumping the shark but training it attaching a sled and flying through the air like a weird santa! Not a sign of overall decline though,
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The original, and quite specific, meaning of the phrase has become altered over time and by frequent misunderstanding, and is now often used by people who simply want to mention a scene that they didn't like very much. But they'll claim that this is the point that the series "jumped the shark".

In a series such as Doctor Who, which is by definition far fetched and unlikely, I can't really see how anything can merely be dismissed by this phrase.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think when the scene "winks" to the audience in a self referential way and breaks the fourth wall a show has jumped the shark. Interestingly Happy Days wasn't rubbish always after the episode were Fonzy ski-jumped over the shark to a dodgy back projection but the nod to the audience that it was just a tv show couldn't be undone. And Doctor Who has done it on a few occasions. when it has it hasn't meant terminal decline just that the production team went too far
  • Options
    The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adams66 wrote: »
    The original, and quite specific, meaning of the phrase has become altered over time and by frequent misunderstanding, and is now often used by people who simply want to mention a scene that they didn't like very much. But they'll claim that this is the point that the series "jumped the shark".

In a series such as Doctor Who, which is by definition far fetched and unlikely, I can't really see how anything can merely be dismissed by this phrase.

But within the "far fetched and unlikely" there have always been rules. For example, (ignoring City of Death!) if we suddenly saw the Doctor fly to the rescue of Clara that would be a "jts" moment.
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many times? Its up there with Deus Ex Machina as a term thrown around by those that don't understand what it means. It isn't a bad, stupid or silly moment. It isn't something you don't like personally. Its when a show suddenly loses touch with its original point and premise and, having run out of ideas tries desperately to get attention with silly outlandish changes that have to resemblance to the original point of the show. However bad its been at times DW has never done this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Although there are certainly much better examples in other shows of the original meaning of "jumping the shark", for me that first episode of Time and the Rani I cited earlier was one moment that the show stopped being something I immediately recognised and felt comfortable with, and became some sort of bad comedy pantomime I hardly recognised.
    When you're watching a familiar show that you thought you knew, and you suddenly think, "WTF is this?!" then you know that at least the spirit of the "shark moment" has been invoked.
    :)
  • Options
    amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    I always prefer "nuked the fridge" these days! ;)

Surprised that "I'm half human..." isn't a moment like that for some...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not really a "shark moment", ill-advised though it was!
    If we're going to start on the "fridge nuking" examples, I think we'd lose the will to live very quickly with Doctor Who, and indeed most science fiction!
    :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    Trial of a Timelord was limbering up on the dockside, while keeping an eagle eye out for fins. I think Time and the Rani not so much jumped the shark, but rather hitched a ride on a space shuttle to fly into orbit, thus flying over the top of every single shark in existence.

I remember when I watched the first episode I was thinking: "OMG, what happened here? Why is this happening? They paid a director to tell him to do that? People sat in an office at the BBC, read through this script and said 'That's cracking, lets film it'?"

I think that the reason we don't see Clara during this is that she's desperately trying to persuade JN-T and Gary Downie to seek employment elsewhere - either that or shoot Pip and Jane Baker.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How many times? Its up there with Deus Ex Machina as a term thrown around by those that don't understand what it means. It isn't a bad, stupid or silly moment. It isn't something you don't like personally. Its when a show suddenly loses touch with its original point and premise and, having run out of ideas tries desperately to get attention with silly outlandish changes that have to resemblance to the original point of the show. However bad its been at times DW has never done this.
    i think there is less disagreement over the concept than you think. I agree with your definition to a degree but I think even by your definition sometimes the show has been guilty of it. I for one have found many moments in Doctor Who where i believe they have jumped the shark and veered towards self parody and lost the view of the original series and believability, as I said Burping bins were a cheap gag and made no sense at all ( the bins weren't a creature with a digestion system). The Doctor floating/flying after being magically transformed from DobbinDoctor... just moments were I facepalm slightly think "oh dear god.. "
  • Options
    Forum Member
    or tom baker talking to camera.......
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    When we're talking about Doctor Who, shouldn't the phrase be "Jump The Quark?" ;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think there is less disagreement over the concept than you think. I agree with your definition to a degree but I think even by your definition sometimes the show has been guilty of it. I for one have found many moments in Doctor Who where i believe they have jumped the shark and veered towards self parody and lost the view of the original series and believability, as I said Burping bins were a cheap gag and made no sense at all ( the bins weren't a creature with a digestion system). The Doctor floating/flying after being magically transformed from DobbinDoctor... just moments were I facepalm slightly think "oh dear god.. "

That's really not what jumping the shark is!

"Jump the shark" is basically the "no turning back" moment - the moment the light fades from the eyes of a show that had maybe already been dying for a while, and something has been lost forever. It's the difference between teetering on a precipice and plunging off the edge. The burping bin is completely the opposite of that - the revived show hadn't even begun!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rwebster wrote: »
    That's really not what jumping the shark is!

"Jump the shark" is basically the "no turning back" moment - the moment the light fades from the eyes of a show that had maybe already been dying for a while, and something has been lost forever. It's the difference between teetering on a precipice and plunging off the edge. The burping bin is completely the opposite of that - the revived show hadn't even begun!
    Is it possible that an episode could jump the shark? a writer? An actor? A story arc? of course.
  • Options
    Old Man 43Old Man 43 Posts: 6,214
    Forum Member
    I think having Ken Dodd in a story might be classed as a Jump the Shark moment.