Options

Ghosts caught on video

TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
Forum Member
✭✭
I'd just received an email from a cousin, consisting links to these:

- Is this a ghost caught on CCTV at Romford theatre? (Telegraph)
- Chilling 'ghost' video reveals head of a long-dead saint hovering in mid-air (The Mirror)
- It's behind you! Spooky figures caught on camera during paranormal investigation at notorious haunted house (Daily Mail)

Not all are fake, but all can be explained. Nothing supernatural as it's usually due to technology, the nature or such.

Yet so many people believe ghosts exist, even when there's an explanation on how it happened. Why is this belief so persistent?

Comments

• Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wilfully blind hope that there's some existence for them or their loved ones beyond life itself. That's all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tony Tiger wrote: »
    Wilfully blind hope that there's some existence for them or their loved ones beyond life itself. That's all.

But also it can be a bit exciting to think it's a ghost. The truth is always a lot duller
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »

- Chilling 'ghost' video reveals head of a long-dead saint hovering in mid-air (The Mirror)
    - It's behind you! Spooky figures caught on camera during paranormal investigation at notorious haunted house (Daily Mail)

Not all are fake, but all can be explained. Nothing supernatural as it's usually due to technology, the nature or such.

Yet so many people believe ghosts exist, even when there's an explanation on how it happened. Why is this belief so persistent?

there is no such thing as ghosts.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    I thinks its something like Stone Tapeing, or Residual Hauntings which is nothing to do with the dead coming back. Its a weird kind of scientific study like watching a video being rewinded, if you know what I mean.
  • Options
    Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Lots of orbs in the second one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    People seem to like mysterious things, possibilities etc. When more than likely, there is nothing else, just life as we know it :-)
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Although I am always more than doubtful of moving chairs etc (too easy to fake with hidden fishing line etc!), I am interested in the orbs.

One of those videos has a great many orbs flying about in it. I'd like someone to explain what else they could be, or how they could be faked, before I dismiss them. They look far too realistic to be a torch or similar.

As weird as it sounds, I am certain I have seen similar - although unmoving - objects in my own home, seen as a flash just above my head or out of the corner of my eye. (And no, I don't have poor vision or similar problems!)
  • Options
    Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although I am always more than doubtful of moving chairs etc (too easy to fake with hidden fishing line etc!), I am interested in the orbs.

As weird as it sounds, I am certain I have seen similar - although unmoving - objects in my own home, seen as a flash just above my head or out of the corner of my eye. (And no, I don't have poor vision or similar problems!)

I thought orbs could only be seen on camera/film?
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No, I see them often and have done since childhood, for as long as I can remember. I also see other moving shapes and static lights, for a brief moment.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I'm not sure about that. All I know is I have seen something in my field of vision, but as I said, not moving, so maybe not orbs but something else.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they're caught, what are they caught doing? Like, picking their nose? Or do they sit around during episodes of Casualty and go "what wouldn't I do to have a haunt on that"?
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

BIB - Because, like Fox Mulder, they want to believe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    there is no such thing as ghosts.

That's the point of my post. The question is, why do so many people still believe ghosts exist?
  • Options
    hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    30 second ads? no thanks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lots of orbs in the second one.
    One of those videos has a great many orbs flying about in it. I'd like someone to explain what else they could be, or how they could be faked, before I dismiss them. They look far too realistic to be a torch or similar.

Those are dust particles or similar illuminated by something like an LED illuminator in a camera. Those tend to show up at night in neglected buildings, like the one in that video.

Have you not noticed that how orbs don't show up in daylight or a clean environment? Stands to reason that those are illuminated dust particles.
  • Options
    kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure about that. All I know is I have seen something in my field of vision, but as I said, not moving, so maybe not orbs but something else.

I don't know what an orb is but people can get what are called floaters in their vision. Lots of reflections of lights caused by the cameras in these clips.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they're caught, what are they caught doing? Like, picking their nose? Or do they sit around during episodes of Casualty and go "what wouldn't I do to have a haunt on that"?

More likely saying : "Another patient who's a member of staff, or a close relative of one..... that's just beyond natural."
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 2nd law of Thermodynamics proves the impossibility of the existence of ghosts.

Personally I have always wondered 3 things, if ghosts exist and they build up immeasurable amounts of energy to manifest (thus breaking the Thermo rule again) then why simply, move a chair while no one is around OR, if ghosts are simply re-enactments of previous events that occurred in that particular place in space and time, why are they not doing it somewhere across the solar system where the Earth would have been then and finally, if ghosts can pass through walls, why don't they fall through floors (that one was flippant!)
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    ... why simply, move a chair while no one is around

... because they're mischievous little tykes with a sense of humour! Remember, we're talking about the same bunch who like to play charades with "mediums"!

"My name? Well, the first letter is D ... or maybe C ... but you'll have to guess the rest!" :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't know what an orb is but people can get what are called floaters in their vision. Lots of reflections of lights caused by the cameras in these clips.

I know what floaters are. That wasn't what I saw.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know what floaters are. That wasn't what I saw.

Over the last few years I have had a huge increase in floaters in my eyes and it is f****g annoying - I use to have really good eyesight. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Over the last few years I have had a huge increase in floaters in my eyes and it is f****g annoying - I use to have really good eyesight. :(

I get them when I'm really tired and look out of a window in daylight. But the other 'things' I've seen are more like gold circular flashes.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With the accessibility of good quality photoshoppy-styley-jiggery-pokery to lay people now, even if an interesting phenomenon were to be seen on film, I couldn't ever 'trust' it now. I've become way too cynical. Not always a good thing because it's like throwing the baby out with the bathwater. By dismissing stuff as probable 'fakery', I could miss something of genuine interest/ unusual-ness.
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    The clip of the three children is quite interesting.

I don't dismiss the possibility that ghosts exist. I don't believe they are the spirit of a deceased person, but there might be something in stonetape theory or sonic echoes.
  • Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those are dust particles or similar illuminated by something like an LED illuminator in a camera. Those tend to show up at night in neglected buildings, like the one in that video.

Have you not noticed that how orbs don't show up in daylight or a clean environment? Stands to reason that those are illuminated dust particles.

I've seen orbs in pics taken in daylight and in all sorts of places. Clean and old/dusty.

I don't think they're ghosts, I also think they're just particles. Just pointing out that I've seen them in all sorta of pictures. Pictures I've taken and pictures friends have taken.

One of my friends is obsessed with them. She's a massive folder of pics she's taken/her friend shave taken that have orbs in. Don't get it my self but whatever floats her boat.