Options

Cast needed for a new audio drama series I want to make

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 389
Forum Member
Hello, does anyone want to participate in an audio drama series I have planned for the lead up to the Series 8 premiere. It's called Doctor Who: The Next Generation series and consists of 13 episodes and a Christmas special. The list of the episodes can be found below. I need a male as the Doctor, a female companion that will be called Genie Dahlson and a male companion called Jake Dahlson. Going into specifics Jake must sound older than the Genie as he is the father of Genie, which adds an interesting dynamic to the TARDIS crew.

If you are interested in participating, please comment below your interest and the name of the character you want to 'audition' for. I will then inbox you my email address, where I want you to send me a snippet of audio with you saying 'Hello, I'm the Doctor' for the Doctor, 'What is this place?' for Genie in reference to the TARDIS (so sound surprised), and 'So this box can travel anywhere in time and space?' for Jake. Obviously as this is an audiotion please use the voices you intend to use in the audio drama itself.

*DISCLAIMER*

All episodes will be uploaded to YouTube and SoundCloud upon completion.

When I listen to all of the snippets and decide who is the best man/woman for the parts, I will tag your names in the comments section and also inbox you a notice of congratulations. You will then be told what to do when recording actually begins. (This will require you to record yourself), as its simply not possible to meet etc.

The 13 episodes will be called:

1. A New Dawn
2. The Nothing War (Part 1 in a two part story)
3. The Repeating Plains (Part 2 continued on from The Nothing War)
4. Lockdown
5. The Vault of Memorial
6. A Grand Mystery
7. The Invasion of Traken
8. A Son of Rassilon
9. The Prophecy of Ragnarok
10. Hunger
11. Apollo Unknown (Part 1 of 3)
12. The Dark Side of the Moon (Part 2 of 3)
13. The End of the Moon (Part 3 of 3)

Christmas Special will be called The Tale of Christmas Town.

If you are unsuccesful in the audition stages, do not worry, other parts will become open. So please make sure to look out for more updates. On a scripts completion they will be emailed out to all cast.

Comments

• Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    How are you going to write, edit, mix different sound sources and add sound effects to 13 audio dramas before the start of series 8?
  • Options
    bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How are you going to write, edit, mix different sound sources and add sound effects to 13 audio dramas before the start of series 8?

Don't sleep.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I'm not, this will continue on during and after Series 8. The project will begin before the S8 premiere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What software are you going to use to edit together the different recording sources, all of which will be wildly different in recording quality.

I would suggest trying this before you even start.

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What software are you going to use to edit together the different recording sources, all of which will be wildly different in recording quality.

Audacity or Adobe Audition.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, good luck with it. I look forward to hearing the first episode.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    1 person has shown interest as of now. Seems like this is a hit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you sure this is legal?
  • Options
    ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you sure this is legal?

I'm not even sure I'm awake :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    2 people for the Doctor, we need some interest in Jake and Genie.
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will this be out before, after or about the same time as the fan produced series which a forum member promised back along and got people to write scripts for?

Exciting!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Will this be out before, after or about the same time as the fan produced series which a forum member promised back along and got people to write scripts for?

Exciting!

I know of no series, so the answer to that would be no.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Writing for 'A New Dawn' has begun.
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you added Steven Moffat?:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Have you added Steven Moffat?:p

Nah, we want this to be simple. Not the second Da Vinci code. :P
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it going to be a comedy series?:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sandydune wrote: »
    Is it going to be a comedy series?:D

There is going to be comedy in it, more in the vain of Smith's Doctor, but not pure comedy.
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is going to be comedy in it, more in the vain of Smith's Doctor, but not pure comedy.

Carry On Comedy:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sandydune wrote: »
    Carry On Comedy:confused:

EXPLAIN!!!! EXPLAIN!!!!
  • Options
    tony-wtony-w Posts: 487
    Forum Member

I would have to agree, different mics, different room sizes (to mention just two variables) will create an absolute nightmare in mix-down for any sound engineer.
    You can of course polish a turd in post, but you really are going to cause significant problems adapting this ad-hoc approach regardless if it is the most cost effective option.
    Just my two cents worth :)
    Good luck though!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tony-w wrote: »
    I would have to agree, different mics, different room sizes (to mention just two variables) will create an absolute nightmare in mix-down for any sound engineer.
    You can of course polish a turd in post, but you really are going to cause significant problems adapting this ad-hoc approach regardless if it is the most cost effective option.
    Just my two cents worth :)
    Good luck though!

If Wesley McCammon on YouTube can manage it with that approach, I'm confident I can. I recommend you listen to his audio drama The Return of the Fendahl, its quite brilliant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you got permission from the bbc to use the character of the doctor who is copyright bbc? I'm sure you would need written permission or something. I'm not a legal expert or anything but this seriously needs looking into.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Have you got permission from the bbc to use the character of the doctor who is copyright bbc? I'm sure you would need written permission or something. I'm not a legal expert or anything but this seriously needs looking into.

I think you are allowed to use The Doctor and the TARDIS without permission as long as its not based on an old episode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But lets be realistic, how many people who make these fan films and write fan fiction online ask for permission? I would say very little. They never get taken down from YouTube etc.
  • Options
    tony-wtony-w Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    If Wesley McCammon on YouTube can manage it with that approach, I'm confident I can. I recommend you listen to his audio drama The Return of the Fendahl, its quite brilliant.

I am unaware of his work, I will certainly check it out! Thank you.
    However, just because someone else can achieve it does not automatically equate to you being able to achieve the same results.

I am not trying to be a dick, I just want to make you aware that creating a project (which you have envisioned) will always throw up unforeseen problems :)
    But as I previously stated, best of luck mate!