Why do cars have ashtrays?

Dai ClustDai Clust Posts: 369
Forum Member
When every driver that smokes just throws their cigarette ends out of the window.

Comments

• AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's better for passengers to use the ashtray though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Not every driver does that.

Many do yes, but not every single one. I know a few who smoke who don't do that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    They make good coin trays.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    GeoBa92 wrote: »
    They make good coin trays.

That's true. :)
  • DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't think new cars had ashtrays or cigarette lighters any more? Well my Nissan Juke certainly doesn't. It just has a 12V power point and a USB
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dai Clust wrote: »
    When every driver that smokes just throws their cigarette ends out of the window.

You must get around a bit to know `Every` driver
    :cool:
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine doesn't. Do most new cars have ashtrays?
  • james_W85james_W85 Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dai Clust wrote: »

because car manufacturers do not assume, unlike yourself, that every driver throws them out of the window and so would need an ashtray to dispose of said cigarette end
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    They will soon be as rare as ashtrays on motorbikes, if smoking in cars is outlawed!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think they do any more as the space seems to be used for a ipod/mp3 docking stations instead
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most cars no longer have them but maybe offered from new as a cost option.
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member

No ... that's why everyone who smokes has to chuck the ****-ends out the window! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the olden days it was OK for everyone bar babes in arms to smoke. Every car had an ashtray , some even had a **** lighter.

We know all about how bad the smoking is now. The ashtray is where you DOCK your gizmo and the **** lighter is a charging point for the gizmo and phone and dvd player and.... more shit

Any extra ashtray is used for places to store coins you may need for toll on a bridge or tunnel.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No ... that's why everyone who smokes has to chuck the ****-ends out the window! :D
    ^^This^^

That's the batty results of attempting to stop people smoking by force. Needless to say car ashtrays are damn useful even for non-smokers.

This craziness extends far beyond just cars though. Anywhere it's perfectly legal to smoke such as at a Coffee bar table outdoors, which will never have an ashtray on.

Yesterday i went for a meal. Gorgeous sunny day so certainly not going to sit inside. Went for a brew first.

No ashtrays on any of the tables.

Exactly the same where i went for a meal. Outside table in the Beer Garden but.....

And then folk wonder why **** ends go on the floor. :confused:

Touring regularly in Europe i find this has become 'the norm' in UK. Every other country i'm in outside of UK has a civilised and sensible approach to smokers and smoking where ashtrays are always on tables outside Coffee bars, Bars, Restaurants etc......but never in UK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    ^^This^^

That's the batty results of attempting to stop people smoking by force. Needless to say car ashtrays are damn useful even for non-smokers.

This craziness extends far beyond just cars though. Anywhere it's perfectly legal to smoke such as at a Coffee bar table outdoors, which will never have an ashtray on.

Yesterday i went for a meal. Gorgeous sunny day so certainly not going to sit inside. Went for a brew first.

Exactly the same where i went for a meal. Outside table in the Beer Garden but.....

And then folk wonder why **** ends go on the floor. :confused:

Touring regularly in Europe i find this has become 'the norm' in UK. Every other country i'm in outside of UK has a civilised and sensible approach to smokers and smoking where ashtrays are always on tables outside Coffee bars, Bars, Restaurants etc......never in UK.

that's because they don't want people to smoke outside their premises either. A lot of beer gardens are now non-smoking as well. Also do people still smoke real cigarettes these day? as everyone around these parts seem to be on the E-cigs instead.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    They will soon be as rare as ashtrays on motorbikes, if smoking in cars is outlawed!

How come?

Is this legislation to be some kind of global initiative?
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    They look gross, especially when full and there's ash all around it.

Bleurgh, feel queasy now. I find smoking so completely unattractive.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    How come?

Is this legislation to be some kind of global initiative?

My post was in jest and I did say 'if'.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    My post was in jest and I did say 'if'.

Fair enough.

Buzz Killington has left the building. :p
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a lifelong smoker I used to put my butts out the window, and see other people doing it.

(wouldn't do it where a risk of a grass or hedge or common fire in summer)

But these days I don't and don't see anyone else doing it.

I think it may be due to smokers less tolerated and everyone has a mobile phone to report you. £75 fine.

If you don't have an ashtray and smoke, find a suitable receptacle for the cup holder.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a lifelong smoker I used to put my butts out the window, and see other people doing it.

(wouldn't do it where a risk of a grass or hedge or common fire in summer)

But these days I don't and don't see anyone else doing it.

I think it may be due to smokers less tolerated and everyone has a mobile phone to report you. £75 fine.

If you don't have an ashtray and smoke, find a suitable receptacle for the cup holder.

or maybe it's the case that people don't chain smoke like they used to and can easily go an hour or 2 car journey without smoking and getting massive withdrawal symptoms?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DadDancer wrote: »
    that's because they don't want people to smoke outside their premises either. A lot of beer gardens are now non-smoking as well. Also do people still smoke real cigarettes these day? as everyone around these parts seem to be on the E-cigs instead.
    BIB is what i realise and i'm afraid even if i was a non-smoker i would find this punitive and ridiculous attitude totally unacceptable. We have litter bins around town centres and other areas where public gather for good reason....to persuade people not to litter the pavements. It makes sound logic plus a bit of basic common sense thinking to place ashtrays on tables for the same reason. If they won't......then they only have themselves to blame when **** butts litter the ground.

Quite how any Pub could legally enforce making a Beer Garden area non-smoking, i have my doubts to the legalities of that as there is absolutely nothing that would stand up in any Court of Law. A Public House is exactly that......public. The law bans smoking inside Pub premises.....but not outside. It's unenforceable.

The anti-smokers now complaining about 'the smell of smoke outside'. They can stay inside and shut all the doors and windows. I know they want all their own way......but they have to realise they cannot.

As for the e-cig malarkey, that's yet another issue the loopy lot are now trying to ban! All kinds of wacko and barmy excuses coming out such as 'they look like a cigarette' or 'it looks like smoking', and 'they encourage people to smoke real cigarettes'.

Oh brother!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    They look gross, especially when full and there's ash all around it.

Bleurgh, feel queasy now. I find smoking so completely unattractive.
    As a very light drinker myself i could say the same about boozers swilling their beer around and the stench of alcohol permeating the atmosphere and all over their clothes.

But guess what?

I leave them alone as personally i feel they are entitled to enjoy their pleasures in life....just as i am mine.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pubs have to abide by the laws of the land but they can also make any rules they want.

In fact you can also be asked to leave for no reason at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pubs have to abide by the laws of the land but they can also make any rules they want.

In fact you can also be asked to leave for no reason at all.
    Yes i realise that they have the right to eject anyone from their premises who may be acting illegally.......but i don't think that covers lighting a cigarette up outside the premises!

As for 'making up any rules they want'......how many Free Houses are there left in UK now? Very few i suspect. The vast majority are Brewery or Company owned.