Satellite tv without a dish

eunicelouise658eunicelouise658 Posts: 1,869
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I know I should probably being posting in Satellite tv forum but they have not had any posts for ages. I am asking on behalf of someone I support, can you have SKY TV without the dish? The property is in a conservation area and she is not allowed a dish on the side of the building

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    No, you cannot receive Sky without a dish.

Looks like they will have to use a freeview box.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,588
    Forum Member
    or they could have cable, if its available in the area.
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    here's some ideas:

you can get most of the channels on cable.

or be innovative where the dish is placed (eg on the ground, attached to a shed and so on)

camouflage the dish, maybe no one will notice it.

get a portable 'caravan' dish
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did I once hear that it was possible to put a satellite dish in an attic so it can still receive the signal but isn't on the outside of the house?

(I could well have just imagined that...)
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could try putting it in a place that is invisible from the street. That is what people in my block have done, we have access to the roof, and there are all sorts of little nooks and crannies up there.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dissonance wrote: »
    Did I once hear that it was possible to put a satellite dish in an attic so it can still receive the signal but isn't on the outside of the house?

(I could well have just imagined that...)

No it wouldn't be possible to do that. Any physical obstruction will block the signal. Even tree leaves do it and heavy rain used to break up the old analogue signals. You could place it in a loft or attic, if there was a window/skylight for the dish to "see" through.

The problem is that TV broadcast satellite signals use very high frequencies. So imagine that FM radio uses aerials that are about 5ft long. Normal TV uses frequencies that are about 6 times higher than FM radio and the antennas for these are about 12cm long. Get up to satellite and that uses frequencies 20 times higher than normal TV. That's just a few millimeters, which would not really be possible with an ordinary aerial design, so a dish is used. There's also the problem that to get the super high frequencies down the coaxial cable to the TV box, the dish also has a device called an LNB, which converts the super high frequencies down to lower frequencies that the cable can handle.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need to look at a company like this
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,121
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure if a camouflaged dish would help if it's conservation area. Things are very tightly restricted there. You may be limited to Freeview, or maybe cable if they've been allowed to lay cables in the area, which again might not have happened.
  • Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    The dish can be mounted on a pole or even at ground level, provided a clear signal path can be found. It doesn't have to be mounted on the side of the house.

The dish can be mounted in the loft. However, the attenuation produced by doing this will be severe and unless the satellite signal strength is particularly high, doing this isn't likely to be successful.

There are other types of antenna which can receive satellite signals, which aren't dishes. However, I have to say that, I myself have no experience of these and have read in the past that they don't work too well.

An example of such an antenna is:

http://www.tvs247.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=213

You really need some advice from a locally-based antenna/satellite installer.