HP Pavilion 15-p157sa refurbished. Intermittent beeping sound

Hi. I have just bought this laptop and am quite happy with it.

However, I have noticed that there is one beep and it seems to occur approximately every 20-30 mins. I have read a little about this and it may be some code from the BIOS (I'm not tecchie but I know it is the heart of the machine).

Does anyone have any advice on how I can diagnose what the fault is? Or should I just send the laptop back as I only got it on Tuesday?

Thanks, in advance.

Comments

• LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    I contacted HP support and I was told that it is okay for a laptop to beep once every so often, so I left it at that.

From here. I've not heard of that before, a laptop that beeps every now and then but its normal behaviour ? Not a lot of info on Google about it apart from that thread, I think returning it may be the best idea. The guy in post 3 reckons he has had 5 of them !!!
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you record the beep on your mobile phone (leave phone recording next to laptop)

Post here.

Is it a low battery beep?

Laptops don't normally beep for unknown reasons.
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that thread. That's interesting. Wonder if it's a batch fault? It was part of a clearance batch and are reconditioned so they are 'no-fault' returns, allegedly. The performance is fine and it's not really possible to record the beep as it's a solitary beep and it's hard to pin down when it will happen. No issues found when running Advanced System Care Pro but I have run the first disk scan through Advanced System care this morning and it hasn't happened today yet and may not happen at all. It runs cool and quiet and doesn't crash. Bit of a mystery.

Was wondering if there is some kind of program I can run to see if there any issues with the BIOS? Bearing in mind I am a complete novice, I need something that would tell me what the issue may be and give me a suggestion to fix it.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a mysterious post from Feb this year from an HP agent with regards an almost identical model:

Q:HP PAVILION 15-p157na . This is my fifth faulty notebook and i know of at least 2 others with the same issue . This random beep twice in 10mins twice in 2hrs , wi-fi on/off wired direct , wi-fi mouse off , nothing appears to make a difference im still in the first 7 days of my 21 to return which would be for a refund this time unless hopefully anyone can help me please .

A:I have just sent you a private message. If you are not sure how to check your forum messages,
    this post has instructions.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-PC-Sound-and-Audio/random-beep/td-p/4883189
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The same person on the HP forum.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-and-Software/random-beep/td-p/4881078

Also another person showed up with the same problem.

No resolution was offered. I think there is likely no fix.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't we have another thread with a PC making weird noises?

It could be a software issue. You could try Safe Mode, a Linux Live disk, or a reinstall of Windows independent of the factory image.
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    The same person on the HP forum.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-and-Software/random-beep/td-p/4881078

Also another person showed up with the same problem.

No resolution was offered. I think there is likely no fix.

Many thanks for these links, Tassium. It does seem odd that a 'solution' was posted by HP via a private message. No beep for me so far today after I have scanned the disk. Will keep an ear out.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    Didn't we have another thread with a PC making weird noises?

It could be a software issue. You could try Safe Mode, a Linux Live disk, or a reinstall of Windows independent of the factory image.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

Would need laptop specific drivers downloading afterwards.

http://support.hp.com/gb-en/product/HP-Pavilion-15-p100-Notebook-PC-series/7234915/model/7547514/drivers?cc=uk&lang=en

Probably take a couple or more hours.

Beeps can be tricky since there are old legacy issues still around from when motherboards had buzzers and loudspeakers and a specific sound chip.

Now it's all emulated and sound schemes. The legacy stuff is still legally mandatory in USA because it is of use for Disabled Users. So all computers have to beep with old motherboard code or new Windows (and apps) code.

Press Windows key+R to get the Run dialog. Then Ctrl-G. You should get default beep/bing.
    That's an old motherboard call (I think)

Also used on Telex machines when you want a human to go to their Telex machine and message you Live.