Unreasonable about neighbours noise?

Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My brother and his g/f live in a nice house, behind them is a street of new houses and these back gardens back onto his but they are set much lower down so noise echoes up.

The neighbours in one are particularly irritating. They have had a few loud parties. He chose not to complain to the council but thought he would talk to them first. A year ago he pruned back a tree at their request so assumed a polite word would be all. He went around several times with no answer so he put a polite note through the door and asked if they could warn about parties and just keep the noise down.

They've not held any big parties since but they have been out until very late, 1am-2am in the garden with the laptop playing music enough to hear inside my brother's house and chatting loudly. There is one girl who goes out most afternoons with the laptop blaring out (I saw her today and agree it's very irritating) but is that enough to complain to the council about?

Comments

• mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any unreasonable noise is worth going to the local environmental health with. They normally ask that neighbours try to deal with things themselves but you might jump that bit. They'll ask your brother to keep a noise diary for a couple of weeks so he might as well start now and maybe backdate it a few weeks.

Once the EH have this then they'll start looking into random visits or leaving recording equipment to see for themselves what's happening.

They still might offer mediation or they can go as far as confiscating equipment. Depends on what they find...
  • dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just as a warning (because this is why I don't complain about my neighbours) if he owns his property, any "disputes" with neighbours have to be declared when you come to sell the property. When bought my flat the paperwork from the solicitors came with a declaration that there had been no complaints about neighbours that the sellers solicitors knew about.

Just because it might affect someone wanting to buy the property if they knew about that.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a little unreasonable you can hear their music but in some ways it's also unreasonable to ask them to be quiet. We all deserve to enjoy our homes, if the noise isn't too often (parties everyday etc) then personally I would just let them have their fun.

This is the problem with living so close to people I guess.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    It is a little unreasonable you can hear their music but in some ways it's also unreasonable to ask them to be quiet. We all deserve to enjoy our homes, if the noise isn't too often (parties everyday etc) then personally I would just let them have their fun.

This is the problem with living so close to people I guess.

Flipside is we all have a right to enjoy our homes without being disturbed by noise etc. There are bearable limits
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Flipside is we all have a right to enjoy our homes without being disturbed by noise etc. There are bearable limits

That was what I was saying really but living close quarters we have to be a bit more understanding and tolerant.
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    That was what I was saying really but living close quarters we have to be a bit more understanding and tolerant.

Completely agree, but having music blaring out in the garden at 1 or 2 in the morning definitely goes beyond what is acceptable.