Entertainment Extra+ New Contract?

That BlokeThat Bloke Posts: 6,352
Forum Member
Hi all, I was hoping you might be able to confirm something for me.

My girlfriend is currently on the Sky Entertainment pack with HD and paying £31.75 for it. Since the Entertainment Extra+ pack is only £32 it seems a bit of a no brainer to switch across (she's not interested in F1). However, I was a bit surprised to find out that making the switch would tie her into a new 12 month contract?

Could anyone confirm whether that's right or not for me? I know it's what the Sky rep on the phone said so is probably right, but based on past experience I take what they say with a fair bit of salt :).

Thanks!

Comments

• rocketronnie75rocketronnie75 Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    That Bloke wrote: »

My girlfriend is currently on the Sky Entertainment pack with HD and paying £31.75 for it. Since the Entertainment Extra+ pack is only £32 it seems a bit of a no brainer to switch across (she's not interested in F1). However, I was a bit surprised to find out that making the switch would tie her into a new 12 month contract?

Could anyone confirm whether that's right or not for me? I know it's what the Sky rep on the phone said so is probably right, but based on past experience I take what they say with a fair bit of salt :).

Thanks!

Yes it's a new 12 month contract
  • That BlokeThat Bloke Posts: 6,352
    Forum Member
    Yes it's a new 12 month contract
    Thanks for that. Ah well, you win some and you lose some :)
  • rawlyrawly Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    Is that a recent change? As when this was first launched and I moved over this was not mentioned as being a 12 month tie in when I called to change back in June/July?

This is effectively downgrading your package (as the old one had to be removed first with HD Pack) and then upgrading to this one.

A Package change doesn't usually attract a 12 month term, you can do it once a month, add and drop things to your package.
    Forum Member
    Just to add, as I've researched this a bit more!

EE + does indeed attract a 12 month min term. However, it does not apply if you've had a HD pack within the past 12 months.

In reality, even without that previous HD pack clause, I doubt very much Sky would challenge the right to cancel in the circumstance of changing a 'HD' pack for another one within the space of a few minutes!

Firstly, they would have to prove the conversation warned me of a new min term (which it didn't) and secondly, as a separate issue any case to challenge this would undoubtedly go against Sky as it's obvious the 'HD' Pack clause could not possibly be enforced in swapping 'HD' packs at the same time, and as no free equipment was involved they couldn't enforce their right to a new min term.

Anyway, I doubt I'd cancel within the next 6 months! Also, the early termination charge for EE+ is only £3.24 / month anyway.

Hope all that is clear!
  • dpwykesdpwykes Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    That Bloke wrote: »
    Thanks!
    I was told that it was a new 12 months contract when I switched, but told the guy on the phone that there was no way I was signing up for 12 months as

a) I'd already had HD for years and
    b) There was no incentive being offered for me to be tied into a 12 month deal.

After being put on hold for 5 or so minutes while he confirmed with someone, he agreed to no 12 month contract. However when he entered it on to their system it would not allow him to bypas the 12 month contract so he added a note to my account that I could cancell within the 12 months.

TBH I will be keeping it for 12 months anyway, but did not want to be feel that I forced into it.....
  • That BlokeThat Bloke Posts: 6,352
    Forum Member
    rawly wrote: »
    Just to add, as I've researched this a bit more!

EE + does indeed attract a 12 month min term. However, it does not apply if you've had a HD pack within the past 12 months.

In reality, even without that previous HD pack clause, I doubt very much Sky would challenge the right to cancel in the circumstance of changing a 'HD' pack for another one within the space of a few minutes!

Firstly, they would have to prove the conversation warned me of a new min term (which it didn't) and secondly, as a separate issue any case to challenge this would undoubtedly go against Sky as it's obvious the 'HD' Pack clause could not possibly be enforced in swapping 'HD' packs at the same time, and as no free equipment was involved they couldn't enforce their right to a new min term.

Anyway, I doubt I'd cancel within the next 6 months! Also, the early termination charge for EE+ is only £3.24 / month anyway.

Hope all that is clear!
    dpwykes wrote: »
    I was told that it was a new 12 months contract when I switched, but told the guy on the phone that there was no way I was signing up for 12 months as

a) I'd already had HD for years and
    b) There was no incentive being offered for me to be tied into a 12 month deal.

After being put on hold for 5 or so minutes while he confirmed with someone, he agreed to no 12 month contract. However when he entered it on to their system it would not allow him to bypas the 12 month contract so he added a note to my account that I could cancell within the 12 months.

TBH I will be keeping it for 12 months anyway, but did not want to be feel that I forced into it.....
    Thank you VERY much for that. Since she currently has HD it sounds like it shouldn't be a problem, and to be honest, the £3.24 per month cancellation wouldn't be the end of the world if it had to be paid. They'd probably lose my sub if they tried to charge it though :). We'll give them another call.
  • Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rawly wrote: »
    Is that a recent change? As when this was first launched and I moved over this was not mentioned as being a 12 month tie in when I called to change back in June/July?

This is effectively downgrading your package (as the old one had to be removed first with HD Pack) and then upgrading to this one.

A Package change doesn't usually attract a 12 month term, you can do it once a month, add and drop things to your package.
    Adding the HD pack to your subscription did enter you into a new 12 month contract though, and this wasn't really changing your package either, just adding the HD channels.

At least with EE+ you get access to Sky 3D and more on-demand content to as well as the HD variants.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was offered this a few weeks ago whilst in contact with them on another issue, What's different in that package because from what he said I'd pay the same and have the same channels I already have with EE and a new 12 month contract?
    He didn't explain it very well and was quite insistent I should take the offer without really giving me any details.

EDIT: don't worry I read the post above, thank you.
    Forum Member
    Adding the HD pack to your subscription did enter you into a new 12 month contract though, and this wasn't really changing your package either, just adding the HD channels.

At least with EE+ you get access to Sky 3D and more on-demand content to as well as the HD variants.

In my case, I already had the HD Pack, but they had to remove it from my account before they could add EE+, which they did at the same time when I called them.

Whether that ties you into another 12 month contract, as you can read above, depends on what you were told when you rang up to change.

I wasn't told that. Some people apparently were told Yes it would, and some not if you already had a HD Pack!

It's a bit confusing really but to sum up, it appears:

1) Upgrading to EE+ from a non-HD sub will definately tie you in to 12 months

2) Changing from old HD Pack to the new EE+ (with HD) is unclear and seems to depend on how long you held the old 'HD Pack' before you changed, or what a specific CS told you at the time, which seems to have varied from person to person.
  • horace_Tort1horace_Tort1 Posts: 457
    Forum Member
    s24adm wrote: »
    just adding my experience on this issue...

I was a long time subscriber to Entertainment Extra + HD sub... A couple months ago I called up sky to cancel my HD subscription, hoping to save myself £10.25 per month.

The guy on the phone said "he'd do me a deal" by which I'd keep the HD channels and not have to pay the £10.25 subscription fee. Only downside was I'd lose the F1 channel.

OK, not bad I thought. I've achieved my goal of losing the £10.25 subscription and I get to keep the HD channels as a bonus.

A week later, a letter from sky arrived confirming I had signed up for the new EE+ package and a new 12 month contract and my bill was only £5ish less than before.

I queried it with online help who said I did indeed get signed up for a new package (EE+ @ £32/month) and what the guy had given me was a 10% discount on my bill for the 12 months so it worked out about a fiver cheaper all in and I'm down a channel.

Now there was no mention of contracts, no new package named etc. Just be careful and query everything on the phone with these sales guys. I'm sure legally I could challenge the new contract etc. but I have no plans to ditch sky in the near future.

I got EE=+ for £29. no new contract and still saving £5 a month after the latest rise in subs. I now pay £30.50 a month