Options

Black birds

lone wolfs howllone wolfs howl Posts: 62
Forum Member
Gonna get me an air rifle if they don't stfu.

Comments

• Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    I think you need to make that all one word, blackbirds, otherwise you might find yourself surrounded by armed police....... ;)
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deleted. Sounded a bit threatening
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So many classy posters have joined recently, and here we have another.:(
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    So many classy posters have joined recently, and here we have another.:(

I think a lot of them are the same (pbu) person.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They're not that bad. Just think if there was no birds about anywhere.
  • Options
    lone wolfs howllone wolfs howl Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    They're not that bad. Just think if there was no birds about anywhere.

It would be nice and peaceful. They've been tweeting constantly since 0330.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member

Right. I'll bite.

Blackbird song is beautiful to hear. Leave them alone.

If anything or anybody needs an air rifle bullet, it is noisy neighbours and other people that have little respect for others, like leaving litter, fly tippers, bad car drivers and any number of other things people do that are disrespectful and anti-social.

A bit of bird song from a blackbird is not a big issue.

Just for your information, many thrushes (of which the blackbird is a member) are on the RSPB amber or red list and need protection, e.g. from people with air rifles. Thankfully the blackbird (the female is actually brown in colour) is still on the green list, but that doesn't signal it is OK to shoot them.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/status_explained.aspx

http://www.rspb.org.uk/Images/BoCC_tcm9-217852.pdf

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/families/thrushes.aspx
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do they fancy white guys?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    Right. I'll bite.

Blackbird song is beautiful to hear. Leave them alone.

If anything or anybody needs an air rifle bullet, it is noisy neighbours and other people that have little respect for others, like leaving litter, fly tippers, bad car drivers and any number of other things people do that are disrespectful and anti-social.

A bit of bird song from a blackbird is not a big issue.

Just for your information, many thrushes (of which the blackbird is a member) are on the RSPB amber or red list and need protection, e.g. from people with air rifles. Thankfully the blackbird (the female is actually brown in colour) is still on the green list, but that doesn't signal it is OK to shoot them.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/status_explained.aspx

This:)
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think a lot of them are the same (pbu) person.

You must be right. There cant be that many numpties joining at the moment. Trolling is their life I suppose.

This, and people taking their own bags into supermarkets at the moment. Gripping stuff on here.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    You must be right. There cant be that many numpties joining at the moment. Trolling is their life I suppose.

This, and people taking their own bags into supermarkets at the moment. Gripping stuff on here.:)
    There is hope:
    Daily. Death is pretty appealing actually.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blackbirds singing in the dead of night?
  • Options
    MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You want to kill blackbirds?
    Then I am left hoping they shyte all over your washing, windows and car. And your head when you go out to the shops, with your own bag or not.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because we no longer have trimphones, we no longer have blackbirds imitating the trimphone.

We used to run to the phone when the blackbird did "the trimphone". Them were the days.
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

To be honest, the increase in apparent Trolls, PBU's etc is tedious and will not do DS any good in the long term.
  • Options
    Cg_EvansCg_Evans Posts: 2,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Didnt know they could type

:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    We have a blackbird who is always in our garden as if it's his territory. He is quite cute because he watches us when we go out to the garden. His little wife usually stays at the edge of the garden by the bushes. :)
  • Options
    CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    I love listening to songbirds, i don't understand why anyone would get agitated by them.
    The harsh shriek of gulls and such like would be understandable, but songbirds ? :confused:
  • Options
    MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LIZALYNN wrote: »
    We have a blackbird who is always in our garden as if it's his territory. He is quite cute because he watches us when we go out to the garden. His little wife usually stays at the edge of the garden by the bushes. :)
    :) My parents' garden has a secluded bushy corner where a blackbird couple have lived for the past 20 years plus. Of course it's not the same blackbird, they live for maybe 5 years, but the territory is clearly inherited or taken over and then managed by a new male blackbird and brown mate when one dies.
    They are very territorial and will see off birds trying to grab this best spot, particularly other blackbirds. Our blackbird has a robin couple as ' neighbours' - another territorial bird and more vicious than blackbirds. Somehow they have a pact to tolerate each other while repelling all other invaders.
    They don't mind birds that wouldn't want the nesting corner, such as tits and chaffinches though.
    The various male blackbirds have got so used to my father that they hop around his feet and spade to grab worms when he is digging. He's also worried that he;s going to decapitate one.
  • Options
    scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    Blackbirds singing in the dead of night?

03.30 in the middle of June is not the dead of night, Dawn is breaking at that time...hence bird song being called 'The dawn chorus'
  • Options
    anfortisanfortis Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    UKMikey wrote: »
    Blackbird singing in the dead of night?

Take these broken wings and learn to fly
    All your life
    You were only waiting for this moment to arise...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MargMck wrote: »
    :) My parents' garden has a secluded bushy corner where a blackbird couple have lived for the past 20 years plus. Of course it's not the same blackbird, they live for maybe 5 years, but the territory is clearly inherited or taken over and then managed by a new male blackbird and brown mate when one dies.
    They are very territorial and will see off birds trying to grab this best spot, particularly other blackbirds. Our blackbird has a robin couple as ' neighbours' - another territorial bird and more vicious than blackbirds. Somehow they have a pact to tolerate each other while repelling all other invaders.
    They don't mind birds that wouldn't want the nesting corner, such as tits and chaffinches though.
    The various male blackbirds have got so used to my father that they hop around his feet and spade to grab worms when he is digging. He's also worried that he;s going to decapitate one.

Blue tits are very agile and are great to watch feeding. The only reason I don't have a bird table in the garden is the next door neighbour has a few cats, so I don't want to encourage birds into my garden, as it puts them at increased risk from predators.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/b/bluetit/index.aspx
    CSJB wrote: »
    I love listening to songbirds, i don't understand why anyone would get agitated by them.
    The harsh shriek of gulls and such like would be understandable, but songbirds ? :confused:

Blackbirds are renowned for their melodious song. Like you said, we are not talking about gulls, magpies, rooks and the like, whose songs can be annoying if persistent. They way I look at it is, if bird song is going to be a problem for me, then I haven't really got any problems to worry about.

Problems have to be put in perspective don't they, e.g. losing your job, having your house repossessed, getting into debt, the death of a loved one or close friend, being run over by a car or bus (other traffic accident), getting beaten up or stabbed, divorce, house fire or flood etc. etc.

So, a blackbird or blackbirds singing a bit, pffff.

There is a blackbird here that sings at various times during the day.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/b/blackbird/index.aspx

No Cirl Buntings here, but I have seen them in Devon, and they as a UK species, are extremely rare.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/c/cirlbunting/index.aspx

I have seen a Red Kite in my current home town, which was a surprise.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/r/redkite/index.aspx
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A blackbirds mating song is on my top ten list of the most beautiul sounds . The males song would entice me out if bed at 3am just to sit and listen
  • Options
    Forum Member
    03.30 in the middle of June is not the dead of night, Dawn is breaking at that time...hence bird song being called 'The dawn chorus'

The lack of basic common knowledge by some people is frankly, astounding.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You want to try having loads of seagulls nesting on neighbourhood roofs.

Always get an hour of squawking every time the sun comes up, and can't go out into the back garden without the ones with chicks doing their warning noises all the time.