Chris Hoy is knighted

2»

Comments

• Options
    soteksotek Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Puffle wrote: »
    Whilst I don't begrudge Chris Hoy his knighthood I do think they should have recognised both Ben Ainslie and Rebecca Adlington in the same way. They recognised Kelly Holmes for being the first women to win 2 track golds for GB, why not Rebecca Adlington for being the first woman to do a double in the pool? I know Rebecca has the potential and the age on her side to go on and win more BUT equally she may not.

I guess (and this is coming from someone who believes she did deserve more) the logic *might* be that she is very young for that sort of honour and has a chance to do even more in London which would undoubtedly result in 'promotion' to dame-hood. Even if she misses out in London I would like to think that she will be honoured later in life.

However, the argument about 2012 could equally apply to Chris Hoy and the success of Rebecca Adlington this year has arguably been built on the back on much less funding and day to day support than that given to the Olympic cycling team.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helbrown wrote: »
    Yes, Sir Steve Redgrave had to win medals in 5 Olympics before he got his. I felt the same when Kelly Holmes got her damehood.

Hoy has 4 gold medals. He already got one at the last Olympics, plus he has been winning world titles since 2002.

Pinsent got a knighthood for the same number of golds.

Like I say I don't entirely disagree with the idea that maybe it could have waited, but nor do I have an objections to his getting it now either.

In regards to Holmes, she had a very long and successful career in which she had to overcome serious injury and adversity time and again and came back at a time when she had been written off in many quarters to take two very unexpected gold medals at the end of her career.

To just say that five gold medals is the bar is a little silly, I feel.
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Congratulations to him, I think he's a decent bloke but it doesn't change the fact I feel the whole honours system is getting a bit silly and knee-jerk in the decision-making.

Knighthoods and Damehoods are more appropriate when somebody is in the latter stages of their career or, indeed, retired.

I think it was at least sensible not to award a 19-year old a Damehood though.
  • Options
    biggeralbiggeral Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congratulations to all our Olympians for their respective honours.

I think Chris Hoy's knighthood was well deserved and appropriate.

Rebecca Adlington's award was also right and appropriate. She was magnificent in winning her 2 gold medals, but she is only 19 and I think she is too young for a damehood. If she wins more golds in 2012 she would probably retire and get her damehood then. She seems over the moon about receiving an OBE in any case.