Options

Snow Watch 2010/11 Season

Comments

• Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can bet that the temperatures will be a lot colder than the BBC weather and the MET Office predict, if most of their previous medium range advance forecasts are anything to go by. It's still only +2C daytime here in Central Scotland even after the southerly rain here last night (and there's still snow and ice on the ground even so), and it won't get any more than 2 degrees C higher here (which is still below average) before the cold sets in again.

They underestimated the intensity of the cold of most of the recent previous cold spells until they were virtually on top of us, but some of the actual BBC weather forecasts were also wildly inaccurate, i.e snow earlier or later and much heavier than predicted, also often cropping up unexpectedly where not forecast. Why would the MET Office and the BBC get it so wrong.

I would assume Scotland and Northern England to be straight back into the freezer again as they says it's getting colder again, but if the temperatures turn out to be virtually the same where it's still low immediately before it, then they will be highly inaccurate in that sense.

There's much more chance of seeing the loch ness monster alive than a BBC weather forecast being correct.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do believe I am seeing freezing rain for the first time. Not sleet or hail but actually little clear drops of frozen rain.
  • Options
    Phil OwensPhil Owens Posts: 6,989
    Forum Member
    david16 wrote: »
    You can bet that the temperatures will be a lot colder than the BBC weather and the MET Office predict. It's still only +2C daytime here in Central Scotland even after the southerly rain here last night (and there's still snow and ice on the ground even so), and it won't get any more than 2 degrees C higher here (which is still below average) before the cold sets in again.

They underestimated the intensity of the cold of most of the recent previous cold spells until they were virtually on top of us, but some of the actual BBC weather forecasts were also wildly inaccurate, i.e snow earlier or later and much heavier than predicted, also often cropping up unexpectedly where not forecast. Why would the MET Office and the BBC get it so wrong.

I would assume Scotland and Northern England to be straight back into the freezer again as they says it's getting colder again, but if the temperatures turn out to be virtually the same where it's still low immediately before it, then they will be highly inaccurate in that sense.

There's much more chance of seeing the loch ness monster alive than a BBC weather forecast being correct.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-Q-IwUijoc :eek:
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    I do believe I am seeing freezing rain for the first time. Not sleet or hail but actually little clear drops of frozen rain.

That might be very significant if you are seeing true freezing rain (glazed frost), where milder air spreads in but is unable to displace the pool of very cold air near the surface, and simply rises above it. The resultant rain then becomes supercooled during its passage through the sub freezing air, and freezes instantly on impact with any surface.

It is very majorly disruptive

It sounds like very light tinkling usually. Although heavier raindrops would have a louder volume.

Whereabouts are you if you don't mind me asking ? (the general area/county would be enough to get a rough fix on what's going on there)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    That might be very significant if you are seeing true freezing rain (glazed frost), where milder air spreads in but is unable to displace the pool of very cold air near the surface, and simply rises above it. The resultant rain then becomes supercooled during its passage through the sub freezing air, and freezes instantly on impact with any surface.

It is very majorly disruptive

It sounds like very light tinkling usually. Although heavier raindrops would have a louder volume.

Whereabouts are you if you don't mind me asking ? (the general area/county would be enough to get a rough fix on what's going on there)

Yeah, the tinkling is EXACTLY what it was like. Although it doesn't tally with the previous posters links to be honest. Clear hail is closer. I put my hand out of the window and caught a few drops. Jagged clear lumps of ice rather than white hail stones.

I'm just outside Birmingham.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    Yeah, the tinkling is EXACTLY what it was like. Although it doesn't tally with the previous posters links to be honest. Clear hail is closer. I put my hand out of the window and caught a few drops. Jagged clear lumps of ice rather than white hail stones.

I'm just outside Birmingham.

OK, thanks. I've just checked the temperatures, and most areas in England are now above freezing (albeit not much), so yours is probably a localised pocket of very cold air.

It does sound very much like glazed frost though, as the characteristic sound and appearance like clear ice are present.

Be very careful when stepping outside as it acts like a hyper form of black ice. Walking becomes very difficult. Driving on untreated roads, impossible.
  • Options
    Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    according to the met office and Rainwatch, we've had sleet and rain most of the day. My road must be in a bubble-no precipitation all day. :confused: Rainwatch even has a record of the precipitation going on all day-not on my house!! :confused:

Leafy Warwickshire!
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    wildmovieguywildmovieguy Posts: 8,342
    Forum Member
    Will we not be getting anymore snow then?
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    Will we not be getting anymore snow then?

naa its way too warm now.

In Lancs yesterday it was -2 in the afternoon. By midnight it was +2,

Lots of snow started to fall but soon became sleet and now everything is slush.

They forecast some tonight in Northern England and Scotland but its already +3 here.
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's been a balmy 2c all day here but it's still snowed on and off most of the day

Forecast another 4-6 inches here tonight

Thats 5 weeks of full on snow for Northumberland now, joy, I'm beginning to miss the look of asphalt and paving stones
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    It's raining now :) Thank goodness
  • Options
    RetrospectiveRetrospective Posts: 3,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was snowing lightly yesterday eving and through the night and a wee bit this morning but then it started to rain and its very slushy outside.
  • Options
    Radio RuderhamRadio Ruderham Posts: 13,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    @Woodbush Is it starting to thaw where you are?
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rather strange thing happening outside - it's raining. Pouring down.

First time we've had liquid rain in weeks. Just hope it doesn't freeze overnight.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    Snow is almost gone here. Can't believe how such a thin layer of snow has lasted so long. Big puddles everywhere.

Doesn't look like we are dropping below freezing for the next five days at least according to the met office.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Bit of a thaw last night cos it was mild. unfortunately, means we're left with the original layer of ice that's been covered for a week, so it's icy in parts still.

We've had a bit of thin rain. Just hoping it's mild enough during the day to melt the rest away. I don't mind the slush, it's the ice I don't want.

Max 4 degrees here today. Max 10 in London apparently.
    Now that really WOULD give us a complete thaw if we had that!
  • Options
    Radio RuderhamRadio Ruderham Posts: 13,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    Bit of a thaw last night cos it was mild. unfortunately, means we're left with the original layer of ice that's been covered for a week, so it's icy in parts still.

We've had a bit of thin rain. Just hoping it's mild enough during the day to melt the rest away. I don't mind the slush, it's the ice I don't want.

Max 4 degrees here today. Max 10 in London apparently.
    Now that really WOULD give us a complete thaw if we had that!

Be patient Spring is on its way:D
  • Options
    ilovehuhuilovehuhu Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    I love the snow, it is beautiful.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ilovehuhu wrote: »
    I love the snow, it is beautiful.

Think you're on your own there.
  • Options
    TheBillyTheBilly Posts: 5,514
    Forum Member
    It's all gone here. Although a few streets still have a five inch thick glacier on the road refusing to melt even at 7c.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think you're on your own there.

Not at all. I love it too and am looking forward to more, which I am convinced we will get at some point in the next three months.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    Not at all. I love it too and am looking forward to more, which I am convinced we will get at some point in the next three months.

I'm not. After a month of it I'm glad to see the back of it! Never been happier to see rain and concrete!
This discussion has been closed.