Options

Masterchef 2011 (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Well we had pediatrician Tim last year, i.e. the children's doctor to stop him falling foul of a witch hunt, who is now doing the sort of things that they were doing tonight for a living.

Eh?:confused:

What does Sara do, sorry?
  • Options
    Tommo781Tommo781 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mornin,

Just got up and scanned hundreds of posts. So if I repeat something, please forgive me.

Andagha wrote: »
    Is the blonde woman the duke and duchess's daughter? She seems rather sloany :)

The older woman is the dowager duchess. The guy is her son, the current duke and the blonde is his wife, the current duchess.
    lisa_joli wrote: »
    The duchess woman has been on some programme before, does anyone know what it was? Was it country homes rescue or something along those lines?

There was a programme about what had happened to 5 of the Country Life cover stars, and she was one of them. I have found a link. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1320998/Country-Life-Girls-In-Pearls-Decades-high-society-cover-girls-fared.html
    Ok what's their official title - The Duke and Duchess of what?

Bedford.
    Espresso wrote: »
    I bet the Dowager Duchess was rather a beauty in her day. :o

I remember her when she was younger, and she was gorgeous. She still is a beautiful, striking woman.
    Windy999 wrote: »
    land of Hope and Glory (and Jerusalem) make me cry every time I sing them!

If your singing is only half as bad as mine, everyone else will be crying too! :D

As has been said before, I don't think any of the last 4 this year are as obviously outstanding as in previous series. But Sara was the clear winner last night imho. The only thing she did wrong was constructing her pyramid; but MR said the choux, cream etc was spot on.
  • Options
    kaniakania Posts: 6,252
    Forum Member
    Glengavel wrote: »
    Only men are chefs. Women are just cooks.

(runs away and hides)

That's only because when men do something it's such a big deal to them whereas to us women it's a piece of cake. Women cook, but men are the more dramatic chefs, and women have a cold... but when men have it, it's manflu. :p

I really like sara now, wasn't so sure she was up to it at the start. I thought she didn't have such a broad range of skills but have been proven wrong. I do want her to win. I was shouting at the tv for her to stop fiddling with her tower of pisa, and was pretty relieved when it tasted delish. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    I really warmed to Sara tonight. She pleasured those 'eroes with true Italian style. Tim's food makes me smile and Tom is cute.
    Jackie...sorry, still cannae be doing with her.
    Looking forward to seeing what on earth they do next week with their chemicals and water baths. Do they have these on the streets of Thailand? Jackie's been there, you know.
  • Options
    marieofromaniamarieofromania Posts: 651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never, in the field of cookery conflict, have so few made so many cakes for people who would have been just as happy with tinned salmon sandwiches.

I loved Greg's little patriotic rant, but wish he had dressed as Churchill ( Winston, or the bulldog - don't care) to deliver it.

I think the contestants should have been made to cook with wartime rations - dried egg and margarine, anyone?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was wonderful to see the great Michel Roux on last nights programme, loved the look of awe on their faces as he was introduced. Also it gives me a (rare) opportunity to brag that I've been to one of his pastry making demonstrations (also a talk on sauces too) and got some good advice from the man himself (Pastry being a weakness of mine).

Loved the afternoon teas for the WW2 veterans, lots there I would have loved to try
  • Options
    MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never, in the field of cookery conflict, have so few made so many cakes for people who would have been just as happy with tinned salmon sandwiches.

I loved Greg's little patriotic rant, but wish he had dressed as Churchill ( Winston, or the bulldog - don't care) to deliver it.

I think the contestants should have been made to cook with wartime rations - dried egg and margarine, anyone?

:D After Shrek's little speech at the outside the base, the chefs all trooped off camera in a line I so wanted Tim to start going a Basil Fawlty style Goose Step!

In fact, I can't remember an episode of MC where I have laughed so much unintentionally, it was actually quite enjoyable compared earlier episodes. I just wish Sara had made her 'pleasuring 'eroes' speech at the end in front of the RAF crowd - I think the producers made right call getting Tom to do it! Again, a speech from Tim would have been great comedy potential.

I know others have said it, but all those lovely RAF men and women - what a truly great bunch, they really made the programme.
  • Options
    Mrs SprattMrs Spratt Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't remember an episode of MC where I have laughed so much unintentionally

I thought India was on fine form last night - almost everything she said sounded vaguely suggestive!
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Abriel wrote: »
    Eh?:confused:

What does Sara do, sorry?

She is an Intensive Care Sister
  • Options
    RFSRFS Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    watching this back now ... Jackie, oh Jackie ...
    I would say Sara edging ahead for me now and I am really warming to her now.
    Tim was marginally less annoying and Tom - well Tom's ship has sailed as he isn't doing aching particularly stand out at the moment.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so what if tim tihngs work he should lose for coffee steak and chocolate milk with stout on it. if he to win they sohlud all work and pasty and toad have said they clearly dont sometimes so for that reason he should not win.

mos fusion cokkery has worked iwht past champions you cnat ahve someone ot win that hits the jackpot form time to time

on that not so rant night night peeps:)

Have you been drinking? :confused:
  • Options
    mindyannmindyann Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RFS wrote: »
    Tim was marginally less annoying and Tom - well Tom's ship has sailed as he isn't doing aching particularly stand out at the moment.

I did like Tim explaining that the idea was for his chocolate milk to be neither chocolatey nor milky so he could understand them being confused :D
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    so what if tim tihngs work he should lose for coffee steak and chocolate milk with stout on it. if he to win they sohlud all work and pasty and toad have said they clearly dont sometimes so for that reason he should not win.

mos fusion cokkery has worked iwht past champions you cnat ahve someone ot win that hits the jackpot form time to time

http://www.new-york-steak.com/coffee-rubbed-new-york-steaks-recipe.html

http://www.1001recipes2send.com/Entrees/Beef/278-Coffee_and_Pepper_Crusted_New_York_Steak.shtml

And loads more

It's quite a popular dish over in the US,
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Is the blonde woman the duke and duchess's daughter? She seems rather sloany :)
    as the older lady was the dowager, i assumed he was married to the younger one? His forehead looked very inter bred.
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RFS wrote: »

I have to say that the cooking has been backgrounded so much that my opinion of the final four is now more based on them as personalities - and so I would much prefer Tom to win, as he's the only one who doesn't annoy the hell out of me.

Tim is smug beyond belief - even with all those pensioners as an audience, he couldn't resist experimenting. And his insistence that his 'chocolate milk' was great even though the people eating it thought it was undrinkable just confirmed how in love with himself he really is.

Sara did nothing to endear herself to me. The usual mixture of tears, flirting and Italian cuisine ... :yawn: It's just as staged as Jacqui's wide-eyed hysteria. And how can she claim that Italians don't do desserts then serve up panna cotta - an Italian dessert?!? :rolleyes:

As for Jacqui ... the 'drama' rumbles on. ;)

I have to say I can never recall a previous series where contestants have been allowed to stay in their comfort zones for so long. None of them has really shown much in the way of versatility, and Tim, Sara and Jacqui are constantly indulged in theirs. Hardly the sign of a 'Masterchef' ...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just can't warm to Jackie and I feel really, really bad about it. I don't like her and I can't put my finger on precisely why. Obviously if she's the better cook overall, she should win the competition, but she soooo annoys me with her tantrums and theatrics. :confused:

For me it's got to be Sara to win. Tim's OK but way too experimental for my "tastes" and Tom seems too "in the background", if that makes sense?
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    I have to say that the cooking has been backgrounded so much that my opinion of the final four is now more based on them as personalities - and so I would much prefer Tom to win, as he's the only one who doesn't annoy the hell out of me.

Tim is smug beyond belief - even with all those pensioners as an audience, he couldn't resist experimenting. And his insistence that his 'chocolate milk' was great even though the people eating it thought it was undrinkable just confirmed how in love with himself he really is.

Sara did nothing to endear herself to me. The usual mixture of tears, flirting and Italian cuisine ... :yawn: It's just as staged as Jacqui's wide-eyed hysteria. And how can she claim that Italians don't do desserts then serve up panna cotta - an Italian dessert?!? :rolleyes:

As for Jacqui ... the 'drama' rumbles on. ;)

I have to say I can never recall a previous series where contestants have been allowed to stay in their comfort zones for so long. None of them has really shown much in the way of versatility, and Tim, Sara and Jacqui are constantly indulged in theirs. Hardly the sign of a 'Masterchef' ...

To be fair, Italian cuisine does not have a wide range of desserts. To quote the great Italian cookery writer, Marcella Hazan:

'Italians take their sweets and aperitifs away from the dining table, at a pastry shop or cafe..........There are some circumstances when a dessert does appear....almost always special occasions, a religious holiday or family celebration. Italy does produce some lucious and beautiful desserts......but it is the work of pastry cooks. It is rarely done even in restaurant kitchens and practically never at home. Elaborate desserts do not have a significant part in Italian cooking or in the design of an Italian meal.'
  • Options
    MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »

That was absolutely bizarre. And how can a comment like that go unchecked in cooking competition?
  • Options
    joules22joules22 Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do think the standard this year is very low. Could it be the new format that's failed? I think it could be.

In previous years I'm sure the "semi-hysterical one" would have gone out weeks ago, due to being deemed not safe in a kitchen. :eek:

The "experimental one" would have gone out due to being unable to produce basics. :p

The "nobody who notices him one" would have gone out because he's the one nobody notices. :o

The one who "works, just a minute where does she work?" Would have gone out because her food is one dimensional. :cry:

I gave the new format the benefit of the doubt, but now I have serious doubts.
  • Options
    m1pnkm1pnk Posts: 809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i have to agree with some that the standard of this years cons is well below par.....and im getting pissed off with the intro of "this will be"........its not life of death......its cooking......and its tv not feeding the lame and hungry......time for shrek to go i think ?......he adds nothing to the show
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    - Jackie is one of the most deranged, manic personalities to have been on reality television, certainly a show like 'Masterchef.' Whether it's talking to herself, hopping about or breaking into tears at the drop of a hat, I never feel comfortable watching her. I cannot help but think though that the title of 'first vegetarian winner' is something that Greg and John would like to produce, even though it is a very narrow field of cuisine that she specializes in: past contestants were sent out to different restaurants and encouraged to work outside of their comfort zones, whereas Jackie flaps and panics in her own. Maybe it's best for her that she was not challenged or pushed in any way...

- Sara's a funny one. For the first few episodes she really did not impress me at all, I thought she was lucky to be there and I thought she was weak: her food just didn't impress me, and I was especially disappointed in the Italian dishes she recreated. However, last night she shone and her trio of desserts for the duchess and her family looked fabulous, probably my favourite dish of the series (aside from Annie's pomegranate cake and ice cream). I'm still not sure though that she deserves to win, and still think she needs to up her game.

- Tom is my favourite of the ones left, though I think he has begun to slip a bit, and risks being forgotten amidst the human firework, the quietly improving one and the mad scientist. Yes, he's good, but he needs to be excellent. He seems a lovely guy and is the one who I feel is most passionate about food. I hope he wins.

- Tim is actually near to replacing Jackie as my most disliked. He seems incapable of admitting defeat or failure, and I thought his food last night looked bloody awful. That jasmine tart looked like mucky water. He is far too concerned with experimenting, even on people who probably would not appreciate such food. Next week looks right up his street though, but I think that Greg is far too much opposed to his work to allow him to win, unless he really pulls it out of the bag: I fear his arrogance would not see him deviate however...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I watched this weeks episode this morning I noticed there was a clip of Jackie from the previous week cutting her thumb again when she was doing the pudding for the critics. Just before she cuts herself she quickly looks left and right as if to check that no one is too close to see what she is doing and then the cut happens. Is it clever editing by the BBC or did it happen exactly like that? I can only assume that the BBC would have no motive in making it appear as it did so can only say that she cut herself deliberately to get out of the task. In other words she cheated and should have been thrown out instead of James.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vivadiva wrote: »
    - Jackie is one of the most deranged, manic personalities to have been on reality television, certainly a show like 'Masterchef.' Whether it's talking to herself, hopping about or breaking into tears at the drop of a hat, I never feel comfortable watching her. I cannot help but think though that the title of 'first vegetarian winner' is something that Greg and John would like to produce, even though it is a very narrow field of cuisine that she specializes in: past contestants were sent out to different restaurants and encouraged to work outside of their comfort zones, whereas Jackie flaps and panics in her own. Maybe it's best for her that she was not challenged or pushed in any way...

Vegetarian my arse. I read some article about her the other day and she was quoted as saying she would like to open up a vegetarian restaurant serving Thai street food with the occasional specially selected fish or meat. It ain't a vegetarian restaurant then is it dear? Absolute bollocks.
  • Options
    GlengavelGlengavel Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"Fusion cokkery" - I know what you mean but the phonetic interpretation works just as well...
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vivadiva wrote: »

- Sara's a funny one. For the first few episodes she really did not impress me at all, I thought she was lucky to be there and I thought she was weak: her food just didn't impress me, and I was especially disappointed in the Italian dishes she recreated. However, last night she shone and her trio of desserts for the duchess and her family looked fabulous, probably my favourite dish of the series (aside from Annie's pomegranate cake and ice cream). I'm still not sure though that she deserves to win, and still think she needs to up her game.

- Tom is my favourite of the ones left, though I think he has begun to slip a bit, and risks being forgotten amidst the human firework, the quietly improving one and the mad scientist. Yes, he's good, but he needs to be excellent. He seems a lovely guy and is the one who I feel is most passionate about food. I hope he wins.

- Tim is actually near to replacing Jackie as my most disliked. He seems incapable of admitting defeat or failure, and I thought his food last night looked bloody awful. That jasmine tart looked like mucky water. He is far too concerned with experimenting, even on people who probably would not appreciate such food. Next week looks right up his street though, but I think that Greg is far too much opposed to his work to allow him to win, unless he really pulls it out of the bag: I fear his arrogance would not see him deviate however...

Thank goodness I'm not the only one. In fact, I'd actually rather see smug Tim go over Jacqui - and, considering how much she gets on my wick, that's saying something ... :eek:
This discussion has been closed.