Options

Have you taken a massive pay cut just to be happy and working?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have been offered an interview for a local position that is more junior than my previous positions and about half the salary.

Now when I weigh up the fact that it's a job I can do for a nice small firm, and it's very local so there are no travel costs, I am kind of thinking that being happy in a job is far more important than money.

Have you ever been in a similar situation?...Taken one step back in order to take 2 forward?

Comments

• Options
    BinCatBinCat Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been offered an interview for a local position that is more junior than my previous positions and about half the salary.

Now when I weigh up the fact that it's a job I can do for a nice small firm, and it's very local so there are no travel costs, I am kind of thinking that being happy in a job is far more important than money.

Have you ever been in a similar situation?...Taken one step back in order to take 2 forward?

If it's enough money for you to live off comfortably and have a happier life then why not!

It's not just money you spend travelling to work, think of the extra time you'll have too.
  • Options
    Hildas HairnetHildas Hairnet Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I had baby no. 1 I worked part time but could only sustain it for a while and gradually my hours went up to full time before I even knew it :(

The school holidays completely stressed me out big style trying to organise child care & of course paying for it

When I had baby no. 2 I drastically reduced my hours, my salary halved - pretty much survived and did without the extras - its worked out tons better and I am so glad I did.

Work isnt everything and it is important to get the right work/life balance - if you are covering your outlays and are happy I'd say go for it :D
  • Options
    iCandy77iCandy77 Posts: 1,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have and it was the best decision I ever made!

It worked for me in the end as I ended up getting a position of more responsibility and I just learnt how to budget better.

Being happy is definitely a factor too. I didn't enjoy the better paid job at all, now I'm very happy :)
  • Options
    TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd much rather be paid less, as long as I could manage OK, and be happy than be stuck in a well paid job where I was utterly miserable and stressed. You may have money but if you are dreading going to work each day then you can't enjoy it. It's not nice being short of cash and scraping by either so if you can afford the pay cut then go for it
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope, my take home pay has gone up every year since I started working. Considerably so since I took over a business last year.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I totally believe that's true, but at the same time you have to be realistic. Are you currently out of work and desperate to be back in employment whatever the salary, or are you currently working? You say it's about half your previous salary, so as BinCat says, if you'll still be able to afford what you consider to be an acceptable standard of living, then go for it, however, a drop by half is a very large amount. Can you make the necessary reductions? I know I couldn't afford to take that sort of drop, no matter how great the job.
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish I could afford to take such a pay cut!

My work/life balance is terrible at the moment with work having completely taken over my life. I can't even take proper annual leave because I'm constantly being hassled with "URGENT" things that need doing "IMMEDIATELY" even when I'm on holiday. I took a day off yesterday and spent the whole bloody day on the phone to the office and working remotely.

I feel terrible because I barely see my 3-year-old daughter and even when I do, I'm always stressed and/or on the phone telling her to be quiet. It's really frustrating and I wish I could cut my hours (in half preferably) but I can't afford to take a pay cut (plus I'll probably be asked to work anyway, even when I'm meant to be off).
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    I wish I could afford to take such a pay cut!

My work/life balance is terrible at the moment with work having completely taken over my life. I can't even take proper annual leave because I'm constantly being hassled with "URGENT" things that need doing "IMMEDIATELY" even when I'm on holiday. I took a day off yesterday and spent the whole bloody day on the phone to the office and working remotely.

I feel terrible because I barely see my 3-year-old daughter and even when I do, I'm always stressed and/or on the phone telling her to be quiet. It's really frustrating and I wish I could cut my hours (in half preferably) but I can't afford to take a pay cut (plus I'll probably be asked to work anyway, even when I'm meant to be off).

That sounds awful. I feel lucky that I am able to leave my job at the office, and it never interferes with my home life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BinCat wrote: »
    If it's enough money for you to live off comfortably and have a happier life then why not!

It's not just money you spend travelling to work, think of the extra time you'll have too.

Cheers, I could get by on the wage but would have to budget it very wisely. I agree, the free time I would have to do other stuff is invaluable.
    It sounds like most responses on here are pretty much for it. I suppose that one has to take a chance and a gamble every so often in order to ultimately be happier in life. Plus, who knows what might come up in 6 months or a year.
  • Options
    QTC13QTC13 Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I took a 25% pay cut and a demotion a few years ago. Haven't regretted it. The job I was doing was too stressful and I dreaded going to work. Funny thing is, I still get to do my previous job to cover holidays/sickness/training (with no increase in pay) - and I honestly don't mind. Keeps my hand in so if I do wish to progress again, I'm not completely out of touch.

Happiness at work IS a big deal - money is important, but I think being miserable in a job is far worse.
  • Options
    hsellorshsellors Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheers, I could get by on the wage but would have to budget it very wisely. I agree, the free time I would have to do other stuff is invaluable.
    It sounds like most responses on here are pretty much for it. I suppose that one has to take a chance and a gamble every so often in order to ultimately be happier in life. Plus, who knows what might come up in 6 months or a year.

If I could manage the less money and get by I would and you never know in future you might get a promotion or a payrise especially if it's in a nice local company. Juniors usually end up getting promoted if they stick around!!

Is there anything extra you can do to earn extra "pocket money" if things do get tough? Legal and taxed of course!

Also, if you find in 6 months that you simply can't manage you can always look for another job.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    That sounds awful. I feel lucky that I am able to leave my job at the office, and it never interferes with my home life.

It's terrible. I got promoted beginning of 2012 and since then haven't had a day of peace! :mad: Even my summer and Christmas breaks are taken up by continuous work!!
  • Options
    MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm in this dilemma at the moment.

I've spent 4 years at University, my career plans haven't panned out. I can afford to hold out for a better paid job, but the longer I'm out of work, the worse it looks on my CV.
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Not to be happy, but I didn't take a wage at all in 2008 in order to keep the business going and not to have to make another person redundant.

It was a tough old year and the savings took a bit of a battering but it was worth it.
  • Options
    BlueZane00BlueZane00 Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Yes, I've taken a massive cut but not through choice. I was made redundant after my manager realised she only needed my position for 12 months :(. I've just finished a temp job on a fraction of my previous pay and now I'm back being unemployed :o.

I think happiness is important and so is the money - in what proportion is down to each individual and his/her circumstances - so I've decided to start going for a career change. I'm a little gutted at having to start from rock bottom, but I want to make the change now before it's too late.
  • Options
    SalbatesSalbates Posts: 2,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in a job as an admin assistant in 2001, which i hated. My boss was not the nicest of people and i dreaded going in every day. I was offered a job running a tiny office, just me and two others in the sales office, much less hours and far less pay. I took it and haven't looked back. My current boss is lovely and when i broke my leg last year, arranged for me to work from home for 5 weeks until i could make it into the office.

As i have Fibromyaligia, I have to be very careful about stress levels and this new job is perfect for me. I know i would have been off long term sick i would have stayed where i was.
  • Options
    nig6nig6 Posts: 680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had the same choice to make, I was in a decent job with a really good (for me anyway!) salary, but I wasn't happy. I hated the people I worked with, the whole department was run by idiots making stupid decisions and it really got me down, to the point where I dreaded going in and really didn't care less.

I saw a job advertised with a much lower salary, that looked interesting so I applied (after working out if I could afford the drop) and luckily got offered the job and have been much happier and settled since. For me the salary was secondary to happiness and stress levels. As it happened for me 5 years down the line I am now on a higher salary than I was then and my original position (that I left) has been downgraded to a lower salary!

As long as you can afford it, I would go for it!
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have done it, but my circumstances were a little different. I worked in London and was earning about £26k. I decided to move to a smaller house in a different county and I found a small local firm doing a job I knew I would love. The pay was £16,500. But, factoring in the fact that the mortgage was smaller and my commute is now 15 mins each way, it worked for me. Im still here now after 8 yrs, and my pay has increased a lot in that time.
  • Options
    FaggyFaggy Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've recently taken a 25% paycut but as with most of the people my particular circumstances are a bit unusual.

I was made redundant from my old job as they were moving location. Luckily just before I left another role came up within the office I was working in but employed by a different company (I know it sounds weird but where I work several roles are outsourced to different companies - so I work on behalf of one company but am employed by another to provide that role).

The role that came up really appealed so I applied knowing that it would be less money but figured that a job with less money is better than no job and living off redundancy.

Obviously I also had the redundancy to fall back on if the reduced salary wasn't sufficient but as it happens the reduced salary is more than enough for me to live on - the only impact is that I save less each month.

The new job is great and I'm much happier as the old role was subject to a lot of office politics.

Ultimately if you can afford to live on a lower salary and you feel you'd be happier then that is better for you than being unhappy in a job with higher salary.
  • Options
    DodgyraiderDodgyraider Posts: 283
    Forum Member
    MarzBar85 wrote: »
    I'm in this dilemma at the moment.

I've spent 4 years at University, my career plans haven't panned out. I can afford to hold out for a better paid job, but the longer I'm out of work, the worse it looks on my CV.

Don't hold out for the dream job. That is a massive mistake. It doesn't mean you will never get your dream job, but whilst you're looking get a job doing something... Anything.

Even a menial office job will give you extra funds and some experiance to shout about on your CV, whilst giving you enough stress free time to look for that dream job!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nig6 wrote: »
    I had the same choice to make, I was in a decent job with a really good (for me anyway!) salary, but I wasn't happy. I hated the people I worked with, the whole department was run by idiots making stupid decisions and it really got me down, to the point where I dreaded going in and really didn't care less.

I saw a job advertised with a much lower salary, that looked interesting so I applied (after working out if I could afford the drop) and luckily got offered the job and have been much happier and settled since. For me the salary was secondary to happiness and stress levels. As it happened for me 5 years down the line I am now on a higher salary than I was then and my original position (that I left) has been downgraded to a lower salary!

As long as you can afford it, I would go for it!

Inspiring post.

I know of my friends who have aimed high and are miserable in their jobs, and have little social time to relax in the evening. They also spend as much as they earn because they feel the need to reward themselves for working so hard.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Words can't describe the misery I felt in my last (well paid) job. so I quit with no job to go to. Found menial temp work two days later & have never looked back. Financially, it's tighter - but I don't regret it for an instant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sh'boobie wrote: »
    Words can't describe the misery I felt in my last (well paid) job. so I quit with no job to go to. Found menial temp work two days later & have never looked back. Financially, it's tighter - but I don't regret it for an instant.

I attended an interview for a well paid high position a while ago. It was horrible. The commute would have killed me. The company was soulless and sterile...I could tell they would have pushed me to the brink. The interview was very telling...it lasted over 3 hours, and I have never been so relieved to exit a building and get on a train home! Suffice it to say, I sent them an email and turned it down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I attended an interview for a well paid high position a while ago. It was horrible. The commute would have killed me. The company was soulless and sterile...I could tell they would have pushed me to the brink. The interview was very telling...it lasted over 3 hours, and I have never been so relieved to exit a building and get on a train home! Suffice it to say, I sent them an email and turned it down.

Off topic, but that's how I felt visiting an open day at a prep school I wanted my daughter to attend next year. It was torture and even I was scared of the teachers! :eek: