Top Of The Pops 1978 - BBC4 (Part 2)

Comments

• UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    darnall42 wrote: »
    It's been good to see these tidybeard shows from 1976 to 1978 ,noel for some reason wouldnt let UK Gold air his shows and it's been good fun to see the shows for the first time since broadcast and cringe at his awful puns and dodgy links ;) now lets hope all this DLT nonsense can be sorted out soon

How could Noel stop the airing of his episodes? He doesn't own the rights surely? :confused:

On the surface Noel Edmonds seems a nice guy - but there always seems to be some story about him being a right b******d behind the scenes! :eek:
    Forum Member
    Zimbo78 wrote: »
    Might be something to do with the use of the F word, which was silenced in the late show, but still obvious!

Oh - I see!
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I too have just watched last night's TOTP. Some thoughts.

Legs & Co, Supernature - nice cosies.:):o

Child - Oh, put some welly into it! Have you not heard the Conway Twitty version, mate? This is a POWER ballad.

10CC - is it just me or is this song just a little bit racist?:D

The Who - Their last single before the death of Keith Moon.
  • eyeblinkeyeblink Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    Well, that must be the first and only time we get a "strong language" warning before a 1970s TOTP. This was a time when, apart from certain unscheduled appearances on live TV (Kenneth Tynan, Peregrine Worsthorne, Felix Dennis on the David Frost show, the Sex Pistols), strong language was not allowed on TV AT ALL - not in dramas, and edited out of films whatever hour of the night they were shown and however distinguished they were.

Was that a six-string bass Graham Gouldman was playing? If Wikipedia is to be believed, Justin Hayward had some involvement in the inspiration for that song.

And Sylvester's appearance shows that Noel Edmonds is not a tall man - 5'8" apparently, which is slightly under average male height. Sylvester was noticeably bigger than him.
    Forum Member
    jeff_vader wrote: »
    Weakest show seen in a while (not helped by that dreadful 10cc song). And then the wtf moment of seeing Sylvester in studio, but no Mighty Real playout? :mad:

:)

I agree - they should've followed up that interview with a nice clip of the song!
  • Apprentice 2 SAApprentice 2 SA Posts: 2,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    For those on here who now wish to listen to this weeks TOTP 1978 edition this coming Sunday, 20th August, 1978 on the Radio 1 Chart Show, well you can do so!

www.azanorak.com/

Scroll down close to the bottom, to the Radio 1 link, which is under the heading UK BBC 50's - 80's, and then scroll through the list of downloadable / playable shows and the Top 20 as broadcast by Simon Bates on that date (20th August 1978) is available, kicking off with The Who at No20.

I'm sorry I have not been able to provide a direct link to the actual show from the website, I have tried, not sure how to, but for anyone interested I know you'll find it easy enough. I've downloaded the show onto my iPod and it's a good Top 20 to do so with. :)

Is that the remastered show?
    Forum Member
    I must admit, I don't watch these often - I'm more into the 80s and watch a lot of shows from the Yellow Pearl era on YouTube.

So I was surprised how pedestian and slow the show was, it didn't feel anything like the Top of the Pops I recognise. From being 7 or 8 years old, Top of the Pops felt like a big pop party with balloons and flag waving. Holly Johnson's Two Tribes epics are among my earliest memories.

These 1978 shows are okay, but there's something stilted about them to me. I'm sure though that I once saw a 1973 edition repeated, with people like Slade and Alvin Stadust on, that was a lot noisier and livelier and more like the 80s shows, so perhaps it's just the eras.

I was about 7, 8 or 9 when a lot of these songs came out - and although I was a teenager in the mid 80's (and into music a lot more) I would still prefer to watch TOTP from the late 70's! ;)
    The shows might look old and dated - but they definitely had some of the best songs/bands around compared to the mid 80's when the charts were in decline!
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is that the remastered show?

You've got to have a password!

No flipping chance.

I've got no interest in offshore radio.
  • corriandercorriander Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    iaindb wrote: »
    I too have just watched last night's TOTP. Some thoughts.

Legs & Co, Supernature - nice cosies.:):o

Child - Oh, put some welly into it! Have you not heard the Conway Twitty version, mate? This is a POWER ballad.

10CC - is it just me or is this song just a little bit racist?:D

The Who - Their last single before the death of Keith Moon.
    Agree Child were not animated at all in this performance. They had been earlier but now they are used to having their (only) hit, they need to think much more about how to deliver the song.

10cc. That was my point earlier. It is controversial. It seems to be about being robbed in Jamaica.

Of course we shan't see the Who on TOTP. Moon died in early September so while the song was in the charts. The Who never recovered from his death.:(
  • Apprentice 2 SAApprentice 2 SA Posts: 2,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    You've got to have a password!

No flipping chance.

I've got no interest in offshore radio.

I've PMd you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    corriander wrote: »
    Agree Child were not animated at all in this performance. They had been earlier but now they are used to having their (only) hit, they need to think much more about how to deliver the song.

10cc. That was my point earlier. It is controversial. It seems to be about being robbed in Jamaica.

Of course we shan't see the Who on TOTP. Moon died in early September so while the song was in the charts. The Who never recovered from his death.:(
    If we get to 1981, they will be in the studio singing "You Better, You Bet". I think that may be their last TOTP studio appearance.
  • ML11ML11 Posts: 888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    Excellent song time! I love 'Supernature' by Cerrone.

I've forgotten how fast it was back then compared to the version I have on my iTunes.

The original that's not availabe anywhere apart from the single

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWkL6tQpJ1E
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    corriander wrote: »

(

Although I believe it was based on the real experiences of a friend or relative of one of the 10cc persons.
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ML11 wrote: »
    The original that's not availabe anywhere apart from the single

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWkL6tQpJ1E

The (brilliant) original 7" of 'Supernature' is featured on this compilation album ...

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/5857842/Ultimate-Disco-Party/Product.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    The (brilliant) original 7" of 'Supernature' is featured on this compilation album ...

At last:) I take it you have listened to this album?

Is let's all chant the original as well on this album, I have a copy which is somewhat different to the 1978 single.
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SgtRock wrote: »
    Just watched last night's edition.

One of the oddest things last night was Noel's reference to Afghanistan (when he could actually say it at the second attempt!). What did any of us know about Afghanistan before 1980?
    :

in the 70s Afghanstan had a kind of fashionable hippyish reputation (think hash), much like Morocco did/still does today. It wasn't unheard of for students to go trekking there . Afghan coats and Afghan hounds were wonderfully
    70s fashion accessories.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    in the 70s Afghanstan had a kind of fashionable hippyish reputation (think hash), much like Morocco did/still does today. It wasn't unheard of for students to go trekking there . Afghan coats and Afghan hounds were wonderfully
    70s fashion accessories.

A few of us were wearing Afghan coats during 78/79;)
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A few of us were wearing Afghan coats during 78/79;)

This character certainly was!

http://tvseriesheaven.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/citizen-smith-complete-s-1-4-avi-links.html
  • Tele_addictTele_addict Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eyeblink wrote: »
    Well, that must be the first and only time we get a "strong language" warning before a 1970s TOTP. This was a time when, apart from certain unscheduled appearances on live TV (Kenneth Tynan, Peregrine Worsthorne, Felix Dennis on the David Frost show, the Sex Pistols), strong language was not allowed on TV AT ALL - not in dramas, and edited out of films whatever hour of the night they were shown and however distinguished they were.

Was that a six-string bass Graham Gouldman was playing? If Wikipedia is to be believed, Justin Hayward had some involvement in the inspiration for that song.

And Sylvester's appearance shows that Noel Edmonds is not a tall man - 5'8" apparently, which is slightly under average male height. Sylvester was noticeably bigger than him.

So where was the bad language? I didn't hear any! Unless they were referring to Noel's jokes :D
  • AdamDowdsAdamDowds Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darnall42 wrote: »
    I Doubt that we will see it next July (or ever ;) ) so here is totp 800 from July 26th 1979
    https://vimeo.com/71327553

Wow, two bands I'd never expect to see on TOTP in one show - Telex and Spyro Gyra. Great episode that.
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At last:) I take it you have listened to this album?

Is let's all chant the original as well on this album, I have a copy which is somewhat different to the 1978 single.

I can't remember! :o

I've got 'Let's All Chant' on three different compilations and at least one of them isn't the original I remember ... I'll have to get back to you! ;)

But I have that album and it's definitely the original edit of 'Supernature' - one of 1978's finest! :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    So where was the bad language? I didn't hear any! Unless they were referring to Noel's jokes :D
    I haven't seen the late night repeat yet but if it's the "Who Are You" promo I'm thinking of then in one the choruses Roger Daltrey sings "who the f**k are you".
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »

I've still got it on an old compilation album called "Action Replay". Great song - and I remember the Legs & Co routine with the giant banana haha.

The rest of the show was fairly poor - I like the Stranglers but Walk on By is not a good cover and I think "It's Raining" was the poorest Darts song yet, "Dreadlock Holiday" is just embarrassing and Justin Hayward's hair is starting to scare me now.

Still, thank goodness for the Commodores and Boney M.

Oh, and it was kind of sad to see The Who knowing that Keith would soon be no more :(
  • eyeblinkeyeblink Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    I haven't seen the late night repeat yet but if it's the "Who Are You" promo I'm thinking of then in one the choruses Roger Daltrey sings "who the f**k are you".

That's the one. It's blanked out on the audio, but very easy to lipread.
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Misty08 wrote: »
    No current case with Mr Townsend. And he was cleared.
    A lot of people think PT was cleared but in fact he accepted a caution and was placed on the Sex Offenders Register for 5 years

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Townshend#Operation_Ore_investigation_and_police_caution

The caution caused him to have problems at one stage with getting a visa to enter the US and when The Who played at the Superbowl in January 2010 there were a number of protests beforehand

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/pete_townshend_targeted_as_sex_offender_3BJDh6zHpMRuPy9pSFfnUL#ixzz0e7JQRdXY
This discussion has been closed.