The Big Holby City Thread (Part 4)

Comments

• Options
    Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wiggles247 wrote: »
    Can't see Hari coming back to Holby anytime soon :(

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/176310/pulitzer-prize-winning-disgraced-will-star-hari-dhillon-gretchen-mol-josh-radnor-on-broadway/

but on the plus side if anyone's going to New York this autumn.................

Aah, lovely Hari, I wish him the very best of luck with his Broadway show :)

He is very much missed in Holby :(

Maybe it's time to visit my bbf in New York again :D :cool:
  • Options
    george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    And yes, that focus group has a lot to answer for. Although i'm still convinced it might have been set up to get the answers Kent wanted - eg questions containing the words 'spice' and 'juicy' "would you welcome juicier stroylines" tyep thing. I refuse to believe that lots of people independent of each other just cam up with those 2 descriptions again and again.

'Excuse me, can I ask you some questions about Holby City?'
    'Sure, I guess.'
    'Okay, question 1. What kind of storylines would you like to see in the next series? a) Spicy ones, b) Juicy ones or c) Dull and boring ones?'
    'Um... a combination of the first two, I suppose.'
    'Okay thanks!'
    'Are there any more questions?'
    'No, that's it. Thanks for your time!'

:D
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    'Excuse me, can I ask you some questions about Holby City?'
    'Sure, I guess.'
    'Okay, question 1. What kind of storylines would you like to see in the next series? a) Spicy ones, b) Juicy ones or c) Dull and boring ones?'
    'Um... a combination of the first two, I suppose.'
    'Okay thanks!'
    'Are there any more questions?'
    'No, that's it. Thanks for your time!'

:D

Possibly not quite that blatant but you've got the basic idea yes. Questions worded the right way can bring back any result the Market Researchers want. I'm sure focus groups are probably similar.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Possibly not quite that blatant but you've got the basic idea yes. Questions worded the right way can bring back any result the Market Researchers want. I'm sure focus groups are probably similar.

I'd love to be approached to take part in a survey about this show. I'd give them a great deal of information and not be swayed at all by the wording of the questions.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    Hello everyone!

I haven't posted for aaaages and I do apologise, not sure if anyone remembers me, but I visited the set of Holby and had a tour with Paul and Lauren then lunch with the cast. I had to avoid for a bit as I knew things ;-) and had to be careful lol. Anyway you all know what I knew now :D

I'm posting as obviously mum and I are HUGE fans. Taking that into account, you'll be surprised to learn that for the last few weeks I have been sneaking about and deleting HC recordings from mums sky box and the series link, while shrugging as to not understanding why.......

After a number of alarming moments, mum was diagnosed with a brain tumour just a few weeks ago. Her symptoms are so similar to Elliot's, and I'm not sure how well she'd cope seeing Paul portray this on screen. I think she'd be floored.

So the point of this ridiculously long post is to ask..... Does anyone know what's up with the character? Is it a brain tumour? I know people try to avoid spoilers, but if anyone knows, I'd really appreciate a heads up. This deleting of eps is hard work and my acting might not be that great :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    emsywoo123 wrote: »
    Hello everyone!

I haven't posted for aaaages and I do apologise, not sure if anyone remembers me, but I visited the set of Holby and had a tour with Paul and Lauren then lunch with the cast. I had to avoid for a bit as I knew things ;-) and had to be careful lol. Anyway you all know what I knew now :D

I'm posting as obviously mum and I are HUGE fans. Taking that into account, you'll be surprised to learn that for the last few weeks I have been sneaking about and deleting HC recordings from mums sky box and the series link, while shrugging as to not understanding why.......

After a number of alarming moments, mum was diagnosed with a brain tumour just a few weeks ago. Her symptoms are so similar to Elliot's, and I'm not sure how well she'd cope seeing Paul portray this on screen. I think she'd be floored.

So the point of this ridiculously long post is to ask..... Does anyone know what's up with the character? Is it a brain tumour? I know people try to avoid spoilers, but if anyone knows, I'd really appreciate a heads up. This deleting of eps is hard work and my acting might not be that great :D

Hello :) I don't think we ever spoke before, but I remember seeing that competition advertised.

Very sorry to hear about your mum, the very best of luck to her. In all honesty, none of us know what is happening with Elliot. A brain tumour is certainly something that is a possibility, but it could be dementia or some other problem. It's certainly going somewhere, but it really isn't clear just now, so I don't think anyone is going to be able to help you with that.

Obviously you know your family situation and I don't, but personally, if it was someone I was close to I'd just be honest with them about what is happening on Holby City and let them make up their own mind about whether or not they can handle seeing it. It's a difficult one and I'm obviously not saying what you should do because I don't know your mum, but it's what I would do because I think people should be allowed to be in control about things like that. Also, deleting it from the series record isn't necessarily going to stop her from watching the episodes. The episodes are uploaded to YouTube and other file-sharing sites by fans, so if she wants to watch the ones she has missed it may be very possible for her to find them.

I don't envy your situation, and wish you and your mum the very best.
  • Options
    wiggles247wiggles247 Posts: 48,088
    Forum Member
    Sorry to hear about your mum Emsy!! With regard to your question, as far as I know it hasn't been revealed anywhere what the problem with Elliott is, and a brain tumour is one of the things that's been suggested as a possible explanation, but there are others too - dementia, MS etc, and I don't know how long this particular part of the storyline is going to last. Only thing I can suggest is looking at the spoilers to see if they give you any indications of when the mystery might be solved (because i wouldn't think they'd tell you the actual answer). DS has some (probably quite) limited spoilers for the next 3 weeks worth of episodes:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s19/holby-city/

and the BBC Holby website has (normally more detailed) info on the next 2 weeks worth of programmes on their episode guide page:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mhd6/episodes/guide#b03dvtmp

I haven't looked at them myself yet so don't know if they say anything about Elliott but hope they're of some help to you.
  • Options
    rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    Can someone explain where Mary-Claire is? She's been removed from the opening credits. Rick is still there and he's not been in it for months. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rosco2010 wrote: »
    Can someone explain where Mary-Claire is? She's been removed from the opening credits. Rick is still there and he's not been in it for months. :confused:

Her mum was in an accident and she took some leave to go back to Ireland to be with her family. In the real-world, the explanation is that Niamh McGrady is working on another project so needs some time off filming. She's expected to be back before long.
  • Options
    jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wiggles247 wrote: »
    Only thing I can suggest is looking at the spoilers to see if they give you any indications of when the mystery might be solved (because i wouldn't think they'd tell you the actual answer). DS has some (probably quite) limited spoilers for the next 3 weeks worth of episodes:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s19/holby-city/

and the BBC Holby website has (normally more detailed) info on the next 2 weeks worth of programmes on their episode guide page:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mhd6/episodes/guide#b03dvtmp

I haven't looked at them myself yet so don't know if they say anything about Elliott but hope they're of some help to you.
    Feeling more and more isolated from his team on Darwin after his spat with Jac, Elliot hides himself away in his beloved wet lab to work on the Herzig. Mo coaxes him out to treat a sea-shanty singer with an embarrassing secret. Elliot finds a kindred spirit in the shanty-singing fisherman and draws on this experience to find the courage to confront his own worrying medical symptoms.
    From the BBC website for June 26th.
    Elsewhere, Elliot faces up to an uncomfortable truth.
    From DS, also for June 26th.
    Elsewhere, Elliot fears he's running out of time to finish his life's work
    From DS for the episode after that (didn't make a note of the air date, sorry).
  • Options
    CrazyChickCrazyChick Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a quick heads up that Rosie Marcel will be on This Morning tomorrow (Tuesday) talking all things Holby and custody cases. :)
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just watching last week's episode - I'm glad we got a No Angels scene :D Colette and Essie :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This week's episode is being broadcast on Thursday rather than Tuesday. What I do find odd is that according to the website, the Scotland broadcast will be at the normal time (Wednesday nights) which means that this episode will be aired in Scotland first, before being shown to the rest of the UK.

I may try to find the episode on iPlayer before the Thursday broadcast, it will presumably be put up after the Scotland airing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This week's episode is being broadcast on Thursday rather than Tuesday. What I do find odd is that according to the website, the Scotland broadcast will be at the normal time (Wednesday nights) which means that this episode will be aired in Scotland first, before being shown to the rest of the UK.

I may try to find the episode on iPlayer before the Thursday broadcast, it will presumably be put up after the Scotland airing.

I'm not sure it will actually - from my reading of it the only Scottish shows that are put on i-player are those that are only shown in Scotland (presumably so the rest of the country can see them if they want). So I'm assuming Holby will only go on i-player once it's been shown in the rest of the UK after Thursday (but could well be wrong about this, as I said its just my reading of the info.
    And, whilst we're talking about this can I please extend a plea that anyone north of the border uses spoiler tags if they're going to discuss the episode before it's shown here and in Wales/NI. Thanks. (Although think I'll stay off here till it has been shown 'down South' after tomorrow night anyway, just to be on the safe side)

Also, Emsy with regard to your question about Elliott - it was mentioned on the interview with Rosie on 'This Morning' and she said that we'd find out 'very soon' (or WttE) what the matter with him is, so your subterfuge might not have to go on for too much longer. Although if it is a brain tumour it'll probably get very hard to keep it from your mum as it's bound to be a storyline that's around for at least a little while and may well be featured in interviews with the cast/TV guides etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member

That happened quite often a few years ago. I'm sure Scotland used to air it on a Monday night so a day before the rest of the UK. I'm fairly sure it didn't go onto I-Playrer until after the England broadcast though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aah, lovely Hari, I wish him the very best of luck with his Broadway show :)

He is very much missed in Holby :(

Maybe it's time to visit my bbf in New York again :D :cool:

Is there ever not a time to do this??

Link to Rosie's interview on 'This Morning' from today, for those who haven't seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-7XPY3g0ms

NB: For those who don't do spoilers = there are some clips from this week's episode and Rosie does give away some of the plot but not (obviously) the outcome of the case, although what she does say about that is, to me, quite telling.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anyone want to guess at just how much damage to The ratings being scheduled against the Engalnd game will do to Holby? I'd imagine quite a lot as even people that don't like football tended to feel they ;should' watch national games at the World Cup. And before people start up with "it can be recorded and watched later and there is I-Player" may I just point out that a lot of people (probably millions) and usually older people do not have Sky+, Freeview+ or similar digital recording devices or home computers, laptops, tablets with broadband. My broadband speed is useless so I-Player is no good and whilst I have a digital recorder, it is not multi channel so I have to watch as I record. My parents are the same, ny Husband's parents, godparents and dozens of friends and colleagues. So, if someone in your house wants the England game, you don't get to see HC this week.

I'm not complaining, my husband is watching with friends at the Pub and besides which something has to clash with it after all but I am interested in how hard HC will be hit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anyone want to guess at just how much damage to The ratings being scheduled against the Engalnd game will do to Holby? I'd imagine quite a lot as even people that don't like football tended to feel they ;should' watch national games at the World Cup. And before people start up with "it can be recorded and watched later and there is I-Player" may I just point out that a lot of people (probably millions) and usually older people do not have Sky+, Freeview+ or similar digital recording devices or home computers, laptops, tablets with broadband. My broadband speed is useless so I-Player is no good and whilst I have a digital recorder, it is not multi channel so I have to watch as I record. My parents are the same, ny Husband's parents, godparents and dozens of friends and colleagues. So, if someone in your house wants the England game, you don't get to see HC this week.

I'm not complaining, my husband is watching with friends at the Pub and besides which something has to clash with it after all but I am interested in how hard HC will be hit.

I'd imagine it will be hit be very hard as well but as far as I know the 'official' ratings don't take into account people who video to watch later, iplayer, sky+ things anyway - only bums on seat actually watching when it's broadcast. Although, I'm not really sure how accurate the ratings are anyway - I'm sure I read/saw somewhere that some of the people they use to calculate them count their dogs/cats as being part of the audience numbers, and they definitely rely on people being pro-active in changing the settings to reflect who's watching (unless, in the digital age, they've changed the way they do the ratings?)
    I can record one thing and watch another but only because I've got a Freeview box AND a digital recorder come video/DVD player and also have the luxury of being in control of the TV remote in my house (so will be watching Holby after seeing the first part of the match and then turning it back to ITV when its finished - don't suppose I'll miss much anyway!!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think they've changed the way they do the ratings now to at least include I-Player etc and I think the multiple repeats of certain shows (like Corrie, Emmerdale on ITV2). That is why they don't release the official stats for a couple of weeks and the 'league' often changes radically from the overnights. For example, the overnights for Xmas Day 2012 jad the BBC well ahead with Downtown about 5th or 6th for the day but it had risen to the first or second after a couple of weeks due to a lot of people watching it on the repeat they did a couple of days later. I think a similar thing happened this last Christmas as well with EE rising up because of I-Player when it had done badly on the overnights. Indeed people actually switched off between Doctor Who and Mrs Browns Boys.

They do release the I-Player figures - I tend to see them in Doctor Who Magazine because that is nearly always at the top.
  • Options
    pattycakepattycake Posts: 4,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live in Scotland and usually watch on Iplayer as it is BBC London that is transmitted. It is usually shown here after the news or sometimes another day.
    But I have to say Wiggles, that although I wouldn't, spoil the show for others, the reason I watch iplayer is that others regularly do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'd actually never thought of that before pattycake - suppose it must be quite annoying to see us all discussing the show on here (and giving away the plot) if it hasn't been shown in Scotland yet. As I said I'll be avoiding this forum from tomorrow night till Holby is shown here just in case (not much of a hardship cos I won't get home from work till at least 6) but at least I'll only have to do that for a couple of weeks, would imagine it'd be a very different proposition if I had to do it every week.

And thanks for the info on the ratings kitkat - I suspected it might have moved on slightly from what I knew was the case.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pattycake wrote: »
    I live in Scotland and usually watch on Iplayer as it is BBC London that is transmitted. It is usually shown here after the news or sometimes another day.
    But I have to say Wiggles, that although I wouldn't, spoil the show for others, the reason I watch iplayer is that others regularly do.

I nearly said that earlier today, that I seemed to recall Scottish posters having problems with everyone talking about the show straight after the English/Welsh (and I assume NI) transmission so used to have to avoid the Board for a couple of days. I guess we just don't consider (or forget( about the different transmission dsates.

Chalk up another argument for the Yes vote!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member

Well, it would probably be in those people's best interests to learn how to use it, because I suspect it won't be long before the vast majority of television is consumed that way. From next year, the whole of BBC Three will be online, and they are saying that that is the way that all television is going.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, it would probably be in those people's best interests to learn how to use it, because I suspect it won't be long before the vast majority of television is consumed that way. From next year, the whole of BBC Three will be online, and they are saying that that is the way that all television is going.

Hmm, it's not a matter of people learning how to use it as simply not having the facility. The digital changeove involved people being given access to digial, sole digital not multi channel. For instance, pensioners were given financial help to purchase a Freeview, not Freeview+ - there is a big difference. I, for instance still have my old analogue televisions and receive the digital channels through a dvd recorder eith freeview incorporated routed by old fashioned scart socket. That means I can record but only the channel I watch. My parents bought a new TV with freeview included, but again that is freeview not freeview+ (there is not integral hard drive) and generally it is at least another 100 pounds or monthly subscription to have that facility. Or you need broadband which a lot of people don't have (I don't) because they either don't have a landline (again requiring a monthly line rental usually so many consider it a luxury they can't afford - don't need when they have a mobile) or the local speed is very slow (that is my case - I just have the Internet via my phone or use work's computer in my breaks) or they don't own a home computer, laptop etc. Really, not everybody does despite what the Government etc seems to believe.

Probably belongs in Broadcasting when going into it in this much depth but it will be interesting to see how big an effect it has on Thursday.
  • Options
    Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a shame that such a big episode is going up against the football and will suffer for it.

I'm being naïve here but why does the BBC not show Holby at the same time in each region? Is there some advantage to them changing it around? Would it not make more sense for all the UK to see it at the same time??
This discussion has been closed.