Options

Eastenders Conventions

Comments

• Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    Yes
    These clips don't show anything different to EE or other actors generally stopping to sign photographs when fans ask them to. I thought you were asking if there should be soap conventions :confused: Actors making personal choices on whether to stop and interact with individuals is one thing but conventions would mean actors, at least some of them being contractually compelled to interact and they may not want that.

I'm not sure it would be a contractual obligation for actors to do conventions. As far as I'm aware it isn't on Doctor Who although any prospective Doctors and Companions are prewarned about the huge fan communities, that probably will have fans at stage doors for the rest of their careers, they will be invited to conventions, asked for interviews and is that something they feel they'd be comfortable with and able to cope with.

That said if somebody really doesn't want to get involved they don't have to - look at Christopher Eccleston for example.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes
    perpet83 wrote: »
    I think everyone is being a bit harsh on Mormon Girl here.

Just last week my mum happened to meet a very famous novelist and get an autograph. She was very apologetic about disturbing her by asking but the writer was lovely about it and my mum was thrilled. And a few months ago my dad ran into a now retired footballer of whom he was a huge fan (we even had a hamster named after him when I was a kid.) He just walked past him on the street, and stopped and said hi and thanked him for all his great performances for his club, and much to his surprise the guy stopped and chatted to him for about 15 minutes about football and asked him all about his job and his family etc. Again my dad was chuffed to bits. Both my parents have had a really tough time of late with illness etc and in both cases it really cheered them up.

I've been lucky enough to meet some writers and musicians of whom I am a huge fan and I was really excited each time. I personally have no interest in meeting soap stars. I think it's different when it's an author or songwriter who has actually written work that has been really important to you, as opposed to an soap actor who is just playing a part. But each to their own and if MG wants to meet some soap stars there is no need to be so sneering about it. Asking for a convention is much better than hanging around harassing them outside their place of work.

I remember hearing a really sweet story about Princess Diana being at some big celebrity fundraising dinner some time in the 80s or 90s and being sat next to that ballet dancer that later went on to play Carrie's Russian boyfriend in Sex and the City. People were signing each other's place cards and he was really shy about asking her to sign his. She explained that when she was a teenager she had waited outside the stage door for hours in the rain to get his autograph, and when he had come out he had signed it for her. Just goes to show it pays to be nice to random fans. They might go on to become the most famous woman in the world and one day the tables might be turned!

Oh I don't think people are saying anything about happening to run into famous people by chance and respectfully asking for an autograph or complimenting them on their work. I think most famous people are fine with that

It's more how fair it is for fans to wait somewhere they know the actor is going to be (most obviously leaving their place of work) so the actor is pretty much obliged to stop and chat (or risk being labeled horrible, unfriendly, difficult on Twitter or similar) and if that happens day after day how much time it takes out of their free time when all they want to do is get home to see their kids or have dinner. Also that they just may be shy.

At least if it is a chance encounter in the Street and they don't want to stop they have the option to lie and say "no, sorry, you're mistaken I just look a bit like them". A little hard for somebody to pull that doppelganger line if they're leaving Elstree!
  • Options
    perpet83perpet83 Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    I don't think there is anything wrong with the idea of a convention in itself but would want there to be more to it than just a chance for fans to meet actors - Q+A panels for example. Doctor Who and other science fiction shows have been running them very successfully for decades and you could argue fans are less likely to try and 'bother' them at stage doors, when they're out shopping if there is an 'official' and 'safe' outlet - guests always have stewards with them at conventions who can step in if a fan gets too 'invasive' or won't move on.

Some actors are very happy to do these extra things and of course they could always be paid rather than giving up their free time for nothing if it is a ticketed event.

But, they shouldn't be expected to do it because some don't want to be celebs and can actually be quite shy - they want to be seen for the roles they play, not as themselves.

Re Elstree, I actually would stop fans from waiting outside as I don't think it is fair on the local residents to have strangers loitering on their road for hours on end and also whilst it's easy to say the actors don't have to stop if they don't want to they very possibly will get abused on social media if they get a 'reputation' for being unfriendly or unwilling to meet fans and they shouldn't have to.

At the end of the day actors who sign up for big shows know what they are getting themselves into. Tbh I think it's all a question of approach. If you approach someone quietly and politely I think that's fair enough (as long as it's not in a hospital or at a funeral or something really inappropriate like that.) If you are really loud and in your face about it then I think they have the right to be annoyed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh I don't think people are saying anything about happening to run into famous people by chance and respectfully asking for an autograph or complimenting them on their work. I think most famous people are fine with that

It's more how fair it is for fans to wait somewhere they know the actor is going to be (most obviously leaving their place of work) so the actor is pretty much obliged to stop and chat (or risk being labeled horrible, unfriendly, difficult on Twitter or similar) and if that happens day after day how much time it takes out of their free time when all they want to do is get home to see their kids or have dinner. Also that they just may be shy.

At least if it is a chance encounter in the Street and they don't want to stop they have the option to lie and say "no, sorry, you're mistaken I just look a bit like them". A little hard for somebody to pull that doppelganger line if they're leaving Elstree!

I do agree that hanging round outside Elstree is a bit much. EE actors work horrifically long hours and should be able to leave their workplace in peace and without hassle. Tbh I never realised til I read this thread that people did that on a regular basis, but I can see that if they do it might be a problem. I'm at a bit of a loss to understand why anyone would, but I'm trying to not to be judgmental cos, hey, each to their own.
  • Options
    pixxyypixxyy Posts: 1,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's not a bad idea really, as plenty of sci fi shows have conventions etc

And imo much better than fans going to Elstree etc, as i'm sure theres some actors who feel like they have to give autographs/pictures there. As if they refused I can just imagine the tweets etc. ( plus bet some would react badly in front of them)

I'd do 1 for all Soaps though past & present, then it would be up to the actors wether they wanted to go. As i'm sure some it wouldnt be there type of thing.
  • Options
    EveT1991EveT1991 Posts: 12,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes
    I don't think there is anything wrong with the idea of a convention in itself but would want there to be more to it than just a chance for fans to meet actors - Q+A panels for example. Doctor Who and other science fiction shows have been running them very successfully for decades and you could argue fans are less likely to try and 'bother' them at stage doors, when they're out shopping if there is an 'official' and 'safe' outlet - guests always have stewards with them at conventions who can step in if a fan gets too 'invasive' or won't move on.

Some actors are very happy to do these extra things and of course they could always be paid rather than giving up their free time for nothing if it is a ticketed event.

But, they shouldn't be expected to do it because some don't want to be celebs and can actually be quite shy - they want to be seen for the roles they play, not as themselves.

Re Elstree, I actually would stop fans from waiting outside as I don't think it is fair on the local residents to have strangers loitering on their road for hours on end and also whilst it's easy to say the actors don't have to stop if they don't want to they very possibly will get abused on social media if they get a 'reputation' for being unfriendly or unwilling to meet fans and they shouldn't have to.

BIB. I like waiting outside Elstree. So if your ever EP would you give a few months notice instead of stopping fans straight away?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes

a lot of the cast don't mind stopping.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes
    That's fair enough if they are happy to do it but I think the point is that no fan has the right to expect to meet somebody. You asked "how is a fan supposed to meet the actor". We sometimes the answer is that they aren't supposed to and sometimes it just won't be possible. There are lots of people I'd like ti meet including actors, politicians, rock stars and whilst some members of the general public will get to meet them (just in the right place at the right time) most won't, including me and don't have a right to. I just accept that.

I'm not being difficult and understand the desire just that it's not always possible and it isn't fair to expect others to make it possible.

If they stop fans waiting ouside Eastenders the the same rule should apply to Coronation Street, Emmerdale and Hollyoaks ect and plus it would nice to give the fans like me and lots of other fans a few months notice before stopping fans from waiting so then we can make final trips down to Elstree but there is a Shoping park where a lot of them go and other places in Elstree so fans wouldn't be able to get banned from those places in Elstree/Borehamwood
  • Options
    pixxyypixxyy Posts: 1,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they stop fans waiting ouside Eastenders the the same rule should apply to Coronation Street, Emmerdale and Hollyoaks ect and plus it would nice to give the fans like me and lots of other fans a few months notice before stopping fans from waiting so then we can make final trips down to Elstree but there is a Shoping park where a lot of them go and other places in Elstree so fans wouldn't be able to get banned from those places in Elstree/Borehamwood

The main reason it was stopped was because of safety wasnt it?
    if so the only thing they could do is stopping it straight away.

And you can't really compare it with other sets, as they are different types of location.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Do you really think it's fair to hang around a shopping centre with the sole intention of accosting them while they are going about their daily business though? Wanting a convention or other such event is one thing, as is politely approaching if you just happen to run into them as a matter of coincidence. Lying in wait for when they pop to the shops is quite another. Tbh I think that strays into the territory of stalking.

As regards Corrie, Emmerdale, Hollyoaks etc, it is up to the people responsible for the sets of each individual show to determine what they think is fair/safe/appropriate. You can't expect one blanket rule.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes

The big difference between the Corrie, Hollyoaks and Emmerdale sets to EastEnders is that as far as I'm aware the entrance to them aren't on residential streets. It is not about getting at the fans but giving the people that live in the houses next to the private road that leads to the set the safety and privacy they deserve as home owners / renters and council tax payers. If they feel that it isn't safe for their kids to play out in their front gardens because of all the strangers hanging around or can't park their cars outside of their houses because of all the additional traffic then that really isn't fair and they have a legal right to ask the Police to move people on and to ask the EE production team to discourage actors from stopping as fans might stop coming if they know actors won't stop. I have to admit I wouldn't want to have a few people hanging around on my road for hours day after day however nice they seemed as it would be a security and privacy concern.

Re shopping arcades and other public areas, it depends whether the fans are making a nuisance of themselves. There are laws about loitering and if the shopping arcade owners decide that is what is happening than they could ask the Police to get involved.

Really if the BBC are okay with fans waiting they should set aside a small area within their property (perhaps just inside the grounds where the private road starts) so there is some kind of control and security in place and it doesn't bother the residents.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes
    a lot of the cast don't mind stopping.

I'm not saying they do. I'm just saying it isn't fair to expect any of them to stop but I'm sure most fans (including yourself) don't really. It is just a worrying few that get obsessive (and that has happened - one of the Holby cast was stalked for 2 years including constantly hanging round Elstree - indeed that is where she was finally arrested) or might get upset if they've waited for ages and the person they meet doesn't stop and then start complaining about it and the actor on Social media. Which I have seen happen "who does such and such think they are not stopping, we're their fans, they owe us".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes
    perpet83 wrote: »
    Do you really think it's fair to hang around a shopping centre with the sole intention of accosting them while they are going about their daily business though? Wanting a convention or other such event is one thing, as is politely approaching if you just happen to run into them as a matter of coincidence. Lying in wait for when they pop to the shops is quite another. Tbh I think that strays into the territory of stalking.

As regards Corrie, Emmerdale, Hollyoaks etc, it is up to the people responsible for the sets of each individual show to determine what they think is fair/safe/appropriate. You can't expect one blanket rule.

Yes exactly. Actors could choose whether they want to do conventions and public signings where they know they'll be extensive fan contact. Also a chance meeting is different as it is by chance and they can just politely decline to speak or even say you're mistaken about who they are. Hanging around shopping centres with the sole intention of accosting them whilst they go about their necessary private business (like food shopping) and might have very little time to do it is very different and I also feel borders on stalking even if there is no malicious intent from the fans involved.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes
    The big difference between the Corrie, Hollyoaks and Emmerdale sets to EastEnders is that as far as I'm aware the entrance to them aren't on residential streets. It is not about getting at the fans but giving the people that live in the houses next to the private road that leads to the set the safety and privacy they deserve as home owners / renters and council tax payers. If they feel that it isn't safe for their kids to play out in their front gardens because of all the strangers hanging around or can't park their cars outside of their houses because of all the additional traffic then that really isn't fair and they have a legal right to ask the Police to move people on and to ask the EE production team to discourage actors from stopping as fans might stop coming if they know actors won't stop. I have to admit I wouldn't want to have a few people hanging around on my road for hours day after day however nice they seemed as it would be a security and privacy concern.

Re shopping arcades and other public areas, it depends whether the fans are making a nuisance of themselves. There are laws about loitering and if the shopping arcade owners decide that is what is happening than they could ask the Police to get involved.

Really if the BBC are okay with fans waiting they should set aside a small area within their property (perhaps just inside the grounds where the private road starts) so there is some kind of control and security in place and it doesn't bother the residents.

I agree with that. Older fans are rally good and are quiet its the kids when they are off School they are really loud and are naughty and spoil it for people so 13/14-18 year olds. I think there should be a cut off point as well where fans wait so just past the last house on the end so the corner to a certain place because last year we got told by a policeman to move round the corner so we weren't standing right outside the house and we moved round the corner with no fuss and we weren't noisy at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes
    I'm not saying they do. I'm just saying it isn't fair to expect any of them to stop but I'm sure most fans (including yourself) don't really. It is just a worrying few that get obsessive (and that has happened - one of the Holby cast was stalked for 2 years including constantly hanging round Elstree - indeed that is where she was finally arrested) or might get upset if they've waited for ages and the person they meet doesn't stop and then start complaining about it and the actor on Social media. Which I have seen happen "who does such and such think they are not stopping, we're their fans, they owe us".

Last year when Scott Maslen was just leaving work some people really wanted him to stop and he stopped. I don't expect the cast to stop if they are in a rush but f they are not in a rush then I ask if I can have a photo took and I ask them to sign my cast card. When I first went in November 2012 I have a photo took with Ricky Norwood after he finished filming and he signed my castcard and I had a quick photo took with Scott even though he was in a rush he was pleased to have a photo took with me and I saw Heimish Patel when he was going to get lunch and he kindly stopped for photos and to sign cast cards and Rachel Bright, Kiersten Wareing and Jasmyn Banks all kindly stopped as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes
    BIB. I like waiting outside Elstree. So if your ever EP would you give a few months notice instead of stopping fans straight away?

I'd consult with the local residents and police to see how much of a problem they consider it to be and if it was a big one i'd stop it straight away with an announcement across Social media and large notices by the private road sign. Also by advising the cast that they are not to stop under any circumstances and if they did it could be a disciplinary matter. There are other ways of keeping in touch with fans.

Or as I say I'd set up an official 'meet and greet' area on BBC grounds which could be monitored by BBC security so everybody (cast and fans) would be safer and it wouldn't bother the local residents. There could perhaps be a ticketing system, they allow 20 fans in a day and you have to apply in advance. If you don't have a ticket, you don't get in and you risk being moved on by the police if you loiter outside the gate. The tickets would be free of course and it would be pot luck which stars you met as it must be now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes
    I'd consult with the local residents and police to see how much of a problem they consider it to be and if it was a big one i'd stop it straight away with an announcement across Social media and large notices by the private road sign. Also by advising the cast that they are not to stop under any circumstances and if they did it could be a disciplinary matter. There are other ways of keeping in touch with fans.

Or as I say I'd set up an official 'meet and greet' area on BBC grounds which could be monitored by BBC security so everybody (cast and fans) would be safer and it wouldn't bother the local residents. There could perhaps be a ticketing system, they allow 20 fans in a day and you have to apply in advance. If you don't have a ticket, you don't get in and you risk being moved on by the police if you loiter outside the gate. The tickets would be free of course and it would be pot luck which stars you met as it must be now.

Would you tell them not to stop at the shopping park in Borehamwood or round the shops in Elstree and in other places like Tesco, Nandos ect? Some cast walk in.

That is a good idea. I know someone who me Jacqueline Jossa, Natalie Cassidy and Jamie Borthwick at the outside shopping place and she met Danny Dyer, Maddy Hill and Sam Strike and Ben Hardy but not right outside the studio she had photos took in other places in Elstree
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes
    Last year when Scott Maslen was just leaving work some people really wanted him to stop and he stopped. I don't expect the cast to stop if they are in a rush but f they are not in a rush then I ask if I can have a photo took and I ask them to sign my cast card. When I first went in November 2012 I have a photo took with Ricky Norwood after he finished filming and he signed my castcard and I had a quick photo took with Scott even though he was in a rush he was pleased to have a photo took with me and I saw Heimish Patel when he was going to get lunch and he kindly stopped for photos and to sign cast cards and Rachel Bright, Kiersten Wareing and Jasmyn Banks all kindly stopped as well.

That's great and I'm pleased for you that you've had those experiences but not everybody is as reasonable as you and won't accept that a cast member is in a hurry. Also, people don't know why somebody hasn't stopped - chances are they don't have time but some fans will take it the wrong way and get very upset and perhaps abusive. Also, some actors might feel obliged to stop even if they don't really have time, are feeling tired etc because they don't want to let their fans down or look bad and they are unlikely to say that openly "i've stopped because I don't want you being nasty about me on Twitter but really I could do without this".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes
    Would you tell them not to stop at the shopping park in Borehamwood or round the shops in Elstree and in other places like Tesco, Nandos ect? Some cast walk in

Probably not, no as that is further away from the set and wouldn't be bothering the residents on the street neighboring it. Also, the cast are more on their own time so can make their own decisions. However the shop pwners might take exception to it if it became an issue and ask the Police to take action.
  • Options
    DC1983DC1983 Posts: 601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No
    I think the actors do loads for their fans without having to do a convention. Within the last 3 months we have had Danny Dyer and Jake Wood doing nightclub PA's round the corner from where I live. We also have a few of the Hollyoaks lot every now and again too.
  • Options
    Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    I'm quite shocked that people wait outside of Elstree. I couldn't imagine doing that myself tbh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Probably not, no as that is further away from the set and wouldn't be bothering the residents on the street neighboring it. Also, the cast are more on their own time so can make their own decisions. However the shop pwners might take exception to it if it became an issue and ask the Police to take action.

that is fair.
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,304
    Forum Member
    No
    Harlowe wrote: »
    Do you actually see anything there, I'll be interested in seeing where it's filmed but I'm not interested meeting cast members or hanging around for hours on end as I don't find that appealing, each to there own who like too tho, your right they not obligated to do anything.

I saw quite a few stars and got Jake Woods and Charlie Clements autographs. It was mostly waiting around though. I wouldn't bother going tho as you cannot really see anything.
  • Options
    secretagentsecretagent Posts: 1,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    The actors who stop to give autographs and have photos taken, probably do so in the hope that it will stop "fans" from loitering around whilst they are trying to work/shop/have a private life etc.
  • Options
    Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    I think I find it all a bit odd because at the end of the day, it is just their job. We know the characters but not the actor, essentially you are waiting outside of strangers' workplace and asking for photos and autographs. I just can't understand it myself, but that is just me.