Options

Thunder and lighting storm watch

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to the maps there's nothing happening for miles but it's gone a funny colour here.
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find this very interesting, I am looking out down our street which faces in the direction of the Margate coast, although we're not in Margate, but the lightening that flashed, then showed up coming from Deal. Which is behind us.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    looks like it's just gonna skirt the south east point of england, the bulk of the france storm heading for the northwest of belgium ..... still constant poppings going on :cool:

british ones fizzling out, so a quiet night here
  • Options
    spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oh well a quiet night then :(
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tell a lie, I have just checked on the map and in face I am sat facing exactly West, so I can see the sky in the direction of Whitstable, so presumably anything on the whole of that coast will look as if its at the end of our street!
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to say that's one hell of a storm over Northern France. It's been raging for hours, barely moved and shown no signs of degredation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spookyLX wrote: »
    oh well a quiet night then :(

Yep, a quiet night here.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder if we are going to get more its getting closer.
  • Options
    Millie MuppetMillie Muppet Posts: 6,853
    Forum Member
    Show's over folks. Definitely nothing more for Hants. Anything coming from the continent splits into two between east and west, missing us in the middle.

:( I was so excited about another lightning show last night too.
  • Options
    †¤AzumiMiyako¤††¤AzumiMiyako¤† Posts: 3,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Met Office still has an amber warning for rain in place but they aren't even forecasting rain for GL now :confused:

We had some quiet rumbles and flashes yesterday evening but no proper displays since Friday morning.

I really want it to rain :(
  • Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Have to say that's one hell of a storm over Northern France. It's been raging for hours, barely moved and shown no signs of degredation.

A little clipped us here on the Kent coast but all is quiet at the moment.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BIG day of storms across much of England turned into a whimper in the end. Like last night, and tonight, much of the pyrotechnics seems to have slipped past the country in the south east.

A rather gorgeous red sky sunset this evening here, so a lovely Sunday in prospect......probably get a clutch of huge incoming storms tomorrow now.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    been suffering in the heat and humidity all bloody day waiting for these apparently apocalyptic floods ..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    The BIG day of storms across much of England turned into a whimper in the end. Like last night, and tonight, much of the pyrotechnics seems to have slipped past the country in the south east.

A rather gorgeous red sky sunset this evening here, so a lovely Sunday in prospect......probably get a clutch of huge incoming storms tomorrow now.

I'm afraid it's so often the way.

You need a sustained spell with conditions like this, and at some point you will get the really spectacular storms. A few days isn't usually enough, given the unpredictability of thunderstorms.

What is especially needed is movement from the South or South East. Movement from the South West will usually result in disappointment.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    been suffering in the heat and humidity all bloody day waiting for these apparently apocalyptic floods ..
    Good point. The flash floods, where are they? Has anywhere had a very localised flash flood event?

The fact remains that where I am there was no storm or rain forecast on Thursday night/Friday morning and we got hit big time, and then when waiting for the BIG event widely trailed absolutely NOTHING has turned up!
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm in the North and we've had two big thunder storms. One in the middle of the night and one this afternoon.
  • Options
    spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Belgium is getting the full force of it now *jealous*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think we should hold a protest outside the MET offices until they give us our storms!
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good point. The flash floods, where are they? Has anywhere had a very localised flash flood event?

The fact remains that where I am there was no storm or rain forecast on Thursday night/Friday morning and we got hit big time, and then when waiting for the BIG event widely trailed absolutely NOTHING has turned up!

i have just seen an impromptu firework display across the road .. wonder if that counts ? :)
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member

Heavy overnight showers or thunderstorms were forecast for Thursday night, on Wednesday evening - and this was reinforced on Thursday evening. But several people in this thread still seem to have missed it, probably because Friday night was being mentioned in the same forecasts and was seen to be likely a bigger event. Or they rely on Apps etc.

Information was also given in Friday evening's forecasts that some places would miss the thunderstorms altogether but that it was impossible to be specific about which places. Of course none of this subtlety would have been apparent to anyone relying on an automated Internet or cellphone forecast. Only those who watched the official (e.g. MetOffice/BBC) forecasts in full would have been aware of this. Apps etc. have their place but not in situations like the last two days. Where I am produced only 5mm of rain over 48 hours but I don't claim the forecast was wrong as some places had over 2 inches!
  • Options
    Tess-gTess-g Posts: 29,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can live without a wet long haired cat demanding to be dried at silly o'clock, thanks. Twice last night....why can't my cat be afraid of thunder.
  • Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure if this has been posted, but this is a real time lighting map http://www.lightningmaps.org/realtime?lang=en

I've got some good thunder where I am.
  • Options
    Emma_WaughmanEmma_Waughman Posts: 12,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    North Norfolk recoeving a nice little show. Don't know when it started as I was in a cinema but since 11pm we have had lightening and mild thunder...Pray for no more bolts tonight :(
  • Options
    sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Driving around tonight, the roads were a nightmare - major flooding on lots of main roads, back streets even worse. At the moment, the thunder is terrifying, every couple of minutes, sounds really loud and close :o

- South Yorkshire
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sofieellis wrote: »
    Driving around tonight, the roads were a nightmare - major flooding on lots of main roads, back streets even worse. At the moment, the thunder is terrifying, every couple of minutes, sounds really loud and close :o

- South Yorkshire

I was just watching it heading to Huddersfield :)

They're still popping up all over France, they're getting all the fun!