The Wright Stuff Discussion Thread (Part 3)

Comments

• StrakerStraker Posts: 79,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big-Arn wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if anyone at all has got into much trouble over it. Wouldn't exactly be fair on them would it?

I wouldn`t hold Screechy responsible for the first but the caller then repeating it should never have made it to air. Very lax producing.

Mind you, shouldn`t Kirsty have dealt with it - After all she controls the phones as we all know.....

All more than bit ironic though as the show is liberally stuffed with innuendo when Wrighty`s in the mood for it, usually whenever Biggins or Capurro are on. I suppose as long as the f-bomb isn`t dropped it`s alright by Wrighty to reduce the show to a series of smutty "jokes".
  • tony-wtony-w Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    That has reminded me of when I was unlucky enough to catch this cretin and his show about a year ago, he smugly chuckled to himself that couples play "hide the sausage" and the condescension MW has for callers who do not support his bigoted views is tantamount to abusive!
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    I wouldn`t hold Screechy responsible for the first but the caller then repeating it should never have made it to air. Very lax producing.

Mind you, shouldn`t Kirsty have dealt with it - After all she controls the phones as we all know.....

All more than bit ironic though as the show is liberally stuffed with innuendo when Wrighty`s in the mood for it, usually whenever Biggins or Capurro are on. I suppose as long as the f-bomb isn`t dropped it`s alright by Wrighty to reduce the show to a series of smutty "jokes".

Lol Kirsty deals with the phones:D:D Kirsty is the UK's luckiest employee she must get a fortune for sitting there saying the exact same phrase everyday and reading out a break teaser.
  • HoffmisterHoffmister Posts: 12,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    plymgary wrote: »
    That woman who was in Casualty is beyond annoying. She's so awful she will probably be offered a place on Loose Women.

I can't even pinpoint why she annoys me. She just does! >:(

For me its her inability to smoothly speak, shes just a mess of umm.urrs and unstarted sentances..she needs to calm down,breath and leave the studio
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that's just the natural delay introduced by the signal leaving their studio, getting to the BT Tower or wherever, being bounced up to a satellite and then back down, or travelling along cables to your tellybox, I don't think it's an artificial delay they've got control over for editing purposes.

In that case, why don't they have a delay? It's a basic, surely? If radio phone-ins can do it, then so can TV ones.
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Lol Kirsty deals with the phones:D:D Kirsty is the UK's luckiest employee she must get a fortune for sitting there saying the exact same phrase everyday and reading out a break teaser.

Which are all pre-recorded anyway.
  • Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I beg to differ. Lots of people had VHS machines in the late 70s and there were even multiple competing formats by 1980:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Videotape_format_war

Wrighty, as usual, is wrong in service of engineering a "bit" about why he had to sneak into 18 cert movies at the cinema - His assertion, "VHS wasn`t around when I was 15" is just BS.

His assertion that VHS wasn't around is wrong but lots of people also didn't have machines in 1980 and films and TV series were often not easily available to see on that format, so if you missed a film at the cinema you'd usually have to wait for it to be on TV, it wouldn't likely be coming out on video.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    In that case, why don't they have a delay? It's a basic, surely? If radio phone-ins can do it, then so can TV ones.

TV seems to be very resistant to using delays because it's then not truly "live". I remember the trouble the BBC got into for broadcasting the Live Earth concert, which included use of the f-word on stage by Phil Collins, Johnny Borrell and Madonna during the daytime.

It's quite weird that Wright said that the matter was now in the hands of their legal team - as if they are going to hold the prank caller legally responsible and evade their responsibility for what they broadcast. The BBC was rapped by Ofcom for its broadcast of Live Earth - did the BBC hold the performers responsible? No, in fact they invited Phil Collins onto numerous programmes to plug his god-awful Motown covers album! :confused:
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon Ross wrote: »
    His assertion that VHS wasn't around is wrong but lots of people also didn't have machines in 1980 and films and TV series were often not easily available to see on that format, so if you missed a film at the cinema you'd usually have to wait for it to be on TV, it wouldn't likely be coming out on video.

Sorry, that`s just nonsense. The rental industry was thriving in the early eighties (remember video nasties?) and all the big releases came to rental eventually (even if they were in pan and scan format) so what were people playing these rentals on if they didn`t have machines? Even laserdisc (precursor to DVD) was introduced in 1980!

http://www.entmerch.org/press-room/industry-history.html
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dominic Holland is back again, next week.>:(
  • Kenny MacleanKenny Maclean Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tony-w wrote: »
    Probably something to do with this....
    NSFW (contains coarse language)
    http://fhritp.com/about-fhritp/

Which seems to be based on a faked video.

1. The presenter is not wearing his earpiece, so cannot hear the gallery - No director would cut him to air.

2. He's not even looking at the camera, and chatting to someone off camera - Again, no director would cut him to air.

3. They do not cut back to the studio as soon as his first swear word, but let him continue.

Clearly 2 unrelated pieces joined together.

Edit: Confirmed!
  • Kenny MacleanKenny Maclean Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think it's time to wheel out the infamous Five Star on Going Live clip. :D

Caution: contains loud swearing!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, that`s just nonsense. The rental industry was thriving in the early eighties (remember video nasties?) and all the big releases came to rental eventually (even if they were in pan and scan format) so what were people playing these rentals on if they didn`t have machines? Even laserdisc (precursor to DVD) was introduced in 1980!

The video nasties scandal was circa 1982. The law to deal with it wasn't passed until 1984! We're talking about 1980. As I said before, even the BBC didn't think it was worth releasing Doctor Who on video until 1983! Blade Runner (1982) was notably one of the first films which flopped at cinemas but became a big hit on video, hence why it achieved a cult status. If you went to the cinema in 1980, you would not be expecting to see that film on video any time soon. That's essentially what he was saying on the show.
  • China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biggins presenting on Monday,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which are all pre-recorded anyway.

I don't get the distinction. She still says them. What does it matter if it's live or not?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It happened in the space of about 5 seconds tops. If you're not expecting to hear that, and even the host didn't quite hear it clearly, I'm not sure why you expect the producer to be able to hear it clearly and communicate to the sound guy to cut the call and have him perform that action, all in less than the 5 seconds (max!) between the first utterance, and the second.

As for Kirsty as far as I can tell she never goes anywhere near a phone, or ever speaks to any of the callers. What she does is repeat what someone tells her in her ear is the name of the next caller; reads out a single memorised line of contact details; records the break questions; and reads out a few emails.

Whoever handled the call in the first place isn't responsible either, unless the caller told them "I'm going to be saying 'I ****ed her in the pussy' - is that okay?"

It was all very exciting and everything but anyone suggesting that someone get fired or take punishable responsibility etc comes across like a typical internet hardman with not much better to do than tell other people how to do their jobs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tony-w wrote: »
    That has reminded me of when I was unlucky enough to catch this cretin and his show about a year ago, he smugly chuckled to himself that couples play "hide the sausage" and the condescension MW has for callers who do not support his bigoted views is tantamount to abusive!

He frequently has his mind changed by callers who don't agree with him. And just as frequently argues with callers who don't agree with him.

it's called running a lively discussion show. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nothing to see here
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    China Girl wrote: »

I seriously hope there's not some actual news to talk about on Monday, because Biggins is the worst possible choice for that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It happened in the space of about 5 seconds tops. If you're not expecting to hear that, and even the host didn't quite hear it clearly, I'm not sure why you expect the producer to be able to hear it clearly and communicate to the sound guy to cut the call and have him perform that action, all in less than the 5 seconds (max!) between the first utterance, and the second.

As for Kirsty as far as I can tell she never goes anywhere near a phone, or ever speaks to any of the callers. What she does is repeat what someone tells her in her ear is the name of the next caller; reads out a single memorised line of contact details; records the break questions; and reads out a few emails.

Whoever handled the call in the first place isn't responsible either, unless the caller told them "I'm going to be saying 'I ****ed her in the pussy' - is that okay?"

It was all very exciting and everything but anyone suggesting that someone get fired or take punishable responsibility etc comes across like a typical internet hardman with not much better to do than tell other people how to do their jobs.

I don't think anyone will get sacked or even disciplined for it but I think Five will presumably get some kind of censure from Ofcom (like the BBC did for Live Earth). Especially since Wright himself is in their bad books for his own previous (Foxy Knoxy, murdered teenager gag etc.).

Wright saying it's in the hands of their legal team reminds me a bit of when he tried to justify the Knox phone-in as a legitimate discussion of her future when everyone else saw it for what it was - trying to be controversial and getting it badly wrong. Everyone knows prank callers are a possibility in a live phone-in, so why not deal with it by having a proper delay mechanism so that the most offensive language doesn't get broadcast? The broadcaster is responsible for what they broadcast. That was the verdict on the BBC following Live Earth - I don't see why Five should be any different.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7338563.stm
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon Ross wrote: »
    Everyone knows prank callers are a possibility in a live phone-in, so why not deal with it by having a proper delay mechanism so that the most offensive language doesn't get broadcast?

Because it's happened maybe twice in, what, 15 years now?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because it's happened maybe twice in, what, 15 years now?

It's happened more often than that. It's happened at least four times when I've been watching, and there are plenty of episodes I haven't seen.

I also remember one of the "special guests", Giles Coren, going on the show and talking about blowjobs, causing Wright a great deal of embarrassment. I don't think he's been on since. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    China Girl wrote: »

I love biggins. for rentaghost and other programs, I never took him a host on tv.
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I remember Videodisc with the Doomsday Project :)
    I don't get the distinction. She still says them. What does it matter if it's live or not?

The post made it sound like she did them live, there and then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember Videodisc with the Doomsday Project :)

• steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you reading an autocue Mr Biggins? ;-)
This discussion has been closed.