Options

Brian Blessed

Comments

• Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only time I enjoyed him was in a Panto, where is over acting and constant foghorning fit the bill. I've rarely been able to watch or listen to him.
    He has some great achievements under his belt especially latterly at his age. He's obviously made of tough stuff..
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    He'd have been good as Robert Baratheon.

He should play Archancellor Ridcully in any future discworld adaptions.
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A_Zombie wrote: »
    Not everything. I remember watching the Who Do You Think You Are? episode with him and remember there was a bit where he was talking in a normal voice. :o Though to be fair I think he was in a library or something.

Maybe I was exaggerating a bit, but it seems that almost every time he makes an appearance on something, it's not a question of if he will start shouting, but when.

Suppose he is a unique character, but I do find him mildly annoying.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    I'm really surprised Brian hasn't been in Game of Thrones yet. Not sure who he'd play though, but he'd love all the swearing.
    He'd have been good as Robert Baratheon.

IIyn Payne would be good.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    My favorite Brian Blessed scene... one of his best performances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhsY5XEqTWY

Ironic that he plays the Emperor Augustus who was reportedly introverted, socially awkward and soft spoken... could they have cast anyone more different?!?

he was very good. the real augustus being "a bit mad". which i supposed helped robert graves invent the unlikely story .......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dont remember him shouting much in z cars. when did he start shouting ?

he does have a "soft voice". used in i claudius.

at least he is intelligable. yes, i do mean peter capaldi ........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im not sure how much the shouting comes from satirists like Dead Ringers then he just plays up to it .......
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    farmer bob wrote: »
    BLESSED,,,BRIAN BLESSED,,,

Do keep up :)
    steveh31 wrote: »
    The voiceover in the Underdog National Accident Helpline ads with Joe Pasquale?

Maybe that will help you.

I probably know him but I don't seem to remember his face.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Oh wow. Just watched the Sonic Attack video. AMAZING.

Fantastic isn't it? Brian Blessed and Hawkwind. I cant get over it. :) Just need Stacia to make a comeback now!
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great guy. Saw him in 'Cats' in Blackpool, many years ago. Loved the musical so much, I went back twice more. During every interval, he sat on the stage and people went and chatted with him while he signed autographs and so on. His part in Cats meant that he was only on stage at significant moments so maybe he felt he had the time to chill but he's very much a 'people person' and enjoyed the meeting and greeting.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic isn't it? Brian Blessed and Hawkwind. I cant get over it. :) Just need Stacia to make a comeback now!

I know, right?
  • Options
    PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    farmer bob wrote: »
    "Gordon's ALIVE!!!"
    Anyone else love Brian?
    The oldest person ever to walk to the magnetic North Pole, and at 77 he still harbours ambitions to be propelled into Outer Space as an Astronaut, for which he has had sufficient training. Grabs life by the bawls does Brian.
    Thoughts please

And now he's a space rock star too...

http://www.noise11.com/news/hawkwind-remake-sonic-attack-with-brian-blessed-20140831
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great guy and a real polymath. Terrific character actor as well.

I was lucky enough to be offered a ride by him once when we were both travelling across Ireland from a TV show we did in Dublin and heading for Belfast.

He was a joy to travel with, loud and lugubrious one moment and soft and thoughtful the other. We never stopped talking about a 1001 things all the way as he is an incredibly knowledgeable man. He was so keen to get into space I felt his pain at being unlikely to be able to achieve it.

I did feel a bit sorry for his driver - too- though - as we never shut up.

He needed someone to buy him ear muffs for Christmas. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember he used to present this show called Unstoppable Banzooke (or something along those lines), I loved his commentary, and he'd always be dressed up in armor and stuff :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember he used to present this show called Unstoppable Banzooke (or something along those lines), I loved his commentary, and he'd always be dressed up in armor and stuff :p

I can sort of remember that, was a bit like Ninja Warrior wasn't it? I remember a challenge with a unicycle and stilts. Can't remember what it was called.
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thats excellent :D
    Cheers
  • Options
    balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember when he appeared on a TV show talking about helping young people do things like climb mountains etc, he was very vocal about politics and how to get people motivated.
    A decent chap who is very passionate about life.

Oh, and he is no fan of the Emperor Ming.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    I love Brian Blessed to bit's.

His episode of HIGNFY was the best ever :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A_Zombie wrote: »
    I can sort of remember that, was a bit like Ninja Warrior wasn't it? I remember a challenge with a unicycle and stilts. Can't remember what it was called.

Yes it was actually. It looked more grueling to me, they'd have to do an assault course adapted to a pogo stick and such like. And the finalists would have a push up count, and the winner would be the man (never saw any female contestants) who did the most push ups.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The guy is an absolute legend. You have just got to love a bloke who, as a child, meets Picasso, has him draw something to prove he really is Picasso and then refuses to take the image because he didn't rate it. Then to top that, he proceeds to school Picasso in the art of drawing a bird. :D
  • Options
    Bob_WhingerBob_Whinger Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A sad loss, a great actor and a great character.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A sad loss, a great actor and a great character.

That'll be news to his family
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A national institution!
  • Options
    Absolute RotterAbsolute Rotter Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love him
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    I've been a fan of his since Z Cars. I get the feeling that, if I knew him personally, we'd be great friends.

I'd probably get a lot of headaches though...