Options

Songs that ended up as novelty songs when they weren't meant to

Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
Forum Member
✭✭
I was thinking about this the other day and I thought of the following that I absolutely hate:

Sweet Caroline
Build Me Up Buttercup
Come On Eileen

The first two at least I don't think were intended as novelty songs, but they have ended up that way because of them being sung by people at parties and weddings who have drunk too much and start waving their arms about and drunkenly lurching to them - I hate them!

Any more songs anyone can think of that have suffered the novelty fate?

Comments

• Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get Sexy - Sugababes
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rockin all over the world by Quo. It has come to define them, though most serious Quo fans hate it.
  • Options
    thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think people need to learn the difference between novelty songs and popular song along songs.....
  • Options
    Johnny_CashJohnny_Cash Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The three in the original post are not novelty songs, they are merely popular, red solo cup, thats a novelty song, star trekkin, thats a novelty song.
  • Options
    SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shiny
    Happy
    People.
  • Options
    StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Macarena maybe?

Given that it was written and sung by a group of 60-70 year old South American men and just happened to have a remix and a dance that became a big fad.
  • Options
    tim18tim18 Posts: 737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    Get Sexy - Sugababes

I dont think its a novelty song, crap yes but not novelty.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    I'm too Sexy?
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think people need to learn the difference between novelty songs and popular song along songs.....

I agree I don't think any of the listed songs are novelty songs.

'Sweet Caroline' is the unofficial theme tune of the Northern Ireland football team which is hardly what Neil Diamond expected?:D

Would 'No Charge' be a 'novelty' song that wasn't really intended?
  • Options
    scrillascrilla Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When reggae records have charted (and it certainly doesn't happen often) they've often been considered as novelty records by people who never otherwise hear anything comparable. e.g.

Double Barrel by Dave (Barker) & Ansel Collins
    Return Of Django by The Upsetters
    Uptown Top Ranking by Althea & Donna (which was an 'answer record')
    The Liquidator by The Harry J. All Stars
    Girlie Girlie by Sophia George
    One Dance Won't Do by Pam Hall's sister Audrey Hall
    Informer by Snow (which was unusual but not unique in that it was a white guy toasting)
    Here Comes The Hot Stepper by Ini Kamoze
    Compliments on Your Kiss by Red Dragon

etc.
  • Options
    via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure what the OP means by 'novelty songs', but here's one which may be seen that way:
    Don't Worry Be Happy by Bobby McFerrin.

Written by McFerrin and based on his take on an Indian philosophy, the song was used (without McFerrin's permission) in Republican George H. W. Bush's presidential campaign.
    The organisers obviously hadn't taken onboard the song's meanings.

McFerrin, a democrat, made a big public protest about Bush's use of the song and wouldn't perform it himself for ages afterwards.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Rockin all over the world by Quo. It has come to define them, though most serious Quo fans hate it.

Most serious Quo fans don't mind it as they know Quo did not write it.
    Quo's version is a cover version.
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    Would 'No Charge' be a 'novelty' song that wasn't really intended?

Was Chinese water torture intended with that? Because it is just like that :D
  • Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was thinking about this the other day and I thought of the following that I absolutely hate:

Sweet Caroline
    Build Me Up Buttercup
    Come On Eileen

The first two at least I don't think were intended as novelty songs, but they have ended up that way because of them being sung by people at parties and weddings who have drunk too much and start waving their arms about and drunkenly lurching to them - I hate them!

Any more songs anyone can think of that have suffered the novelty fate?

None of those songs are "novelty", they are just popular songs which are regularly sung along to. I love them all!
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    B*Witched - C'est La Vie

I'm not sure when this was released if this was meant to be a serious song or not but over the years it has become famous for its 'Oirish' sections:

"I fight like me da' as well"
    The middle Riverdance lite section

I agree with those that have said the list the OP has mentioned are not novelty songs but just popular songs played at weddings and other functions/gatherings
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scrilla wrote: »
    When reggae records have charted (and it certainly doesn't happen often) they've often been considered as novelty records by people who never otherwise hear anything comparable. e.g.

Double Barrel by Dave (Barker) & Ansel Collins
    Return Of Django by The Upsetters
    Uptown Top Ranking by Althea & Donna (which was an 'answer record')
    The Liquidator by The Harry J. All Stars
    Girlie Girlie by Sophia George
    One Dance Won't Do by Pam Hall's sister Audrey Hall
    Informer by Snow (which was unusual but not unique in that it was a white guy toasting)
    Here Comes The Hot Stepper by Ini Kamoze
    Compliments on Your Kiss by Red Dragon

etc.

dont really agree with that sir.... ive never known any of those tracks/reggae tracks being thought of as 'novelty' because they are reggae. reggae was a popular and often heard genre from the 60's onwards.

ok, 'uptown top ranking' was abit noveltyish after their dire performance on totp.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    not sure popularity = novelty..

think the tracks the op cites have been 'karaokefied' , and used as party pieces.
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dont really agree with that sir.... ive never known any of those tracks/reggae tracks being thought of as 'novelty' because they are reggae. reggae was a popular and often heard genre from the 60's onwards.

ok, 'uptown top ranking' was abit noveltyish after their dire performance on totp.

bib: Damn that TOTP Orchestra!>:(
  • Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,016
    Forum Member
    bib: Damn that TOTP Orchestra!>:(

Oh I don't know. Their performance was really very amateurish, messed up totally at 2.11, so I think the naff orchestration is quite fitting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVBmeWAsRAA

That said, I love the song. I didn't when it came out (I really didn't get it at ALL, and it did knock my beloved Mull of Kintyre off the top spot).

As for songs that became novelties - that one that goes "Heyyyy baby, ooh! ahh!, I wanna know-woh-woh if you'll be my girl." Due to the darts probably.
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the biggest one would have to be Gangnam Style by PSY.

In the world of J-Pop, it's really not THAT out of the ordinary.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The obvious one is Never Gonna Give You Up by Rick Astley. No doubt tainted because of the Rickrolling association. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The obvious one is Never Gonna Give You Up by Rick Astley. No doubt tainted because of the Rickrolling association. ;-)

Once again an example of a popular song along songs and not a novelty song.

And gangnam style was definitely written as a novelty song.

Yet to see one decent example on here!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Once again an example of a popular song along songs and not a novelty song.

And gangnam style was definitely written as a novelty song.

Yet to see one decent example on here!

give us one then!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    give us one then!

Maybe the fact that no one can give a decent example means that it very rarely happens.:)
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe the fact that no one can give a decent example means that it very rarely happens.:)

I don't think there are many but what about 'Living Next door to Alice' that turned into a sort of novelty song. http://youtu.be/iYAt22mWiWc