Options

Weekend away whilst off sick

d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,355
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My OH has been signed off work by his GP for 2 weeks. However, we are due to go for a weekend break next weekend. He only works Monday - Friday so it doesn't fall on any of the days he is supposed to be in work.

I can't find any information on the ACAS site or Citizens Advice site about whether this is allowed. As it doesn't affect the days he works surely it should be okay. It was booked 6 momths ago and is in this country.

The complication is that we work in the same place - I would have to keep quiet about going away which is fine although a bit annoying as I do chat to my colleagues!

Thoughts please?

(I don't want to say what his medical issue is but he is physically well enough to go)

Comments

• Options
    urbanhermiturbanhermit Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    d0lphin wrote: »
    My OH has been signed off work by his GP for 2 weeks. However, we are due to go for a weekend break next weekend. He only works Monday - Friday so it doesn't fall on any of the days he is supposed to be in work.

I can't find any information on the ACAS site or Citizens Advice site about whether this is allowed. As it doesn't affect the days he works surely it should be okay. It was booked 6 momths ago and is in this country.

The complication is that we work in the same place - I would have to keep quiet about going away which is fine although a bit annoying as I do chat to my colleagues!

Thoughts please?

(I don't want to say what his medical issue is but he is physically well enough to go)

If I was his boss and I'd found out that he'd been away for a weekend but couldn't get into work, I'd be a bit miffed.

I would have thought if he is fit enough to go away, surely he is fit enough to be in work?

For the record, I'm self-employed so I don't have the luxury of sick pay / holiday pay.
  • Options
    DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is likely that a weekend away will do him the world of good. To be on the safe side you could say that you went away for the sake of his health rather than stressing that it was a pre-planned break.

I don't believe that there is any requirement to stay in bed, or at home, when you are unable to work. Your OH has been signed off because his doctor does not believe he is well enough to work.
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    I think you'll find that sick leave also applies to Saturday, even if you don't work on Saturday (if that makes any sense!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm thanks for the replies - two totally different points of view in just 2 posts shows the dilemma :)
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thoughts please?

There's nothing your OH's employer can do to stop you taking the break. As you say, even if he weren't signed off sick, he wouldn't be at work at that time anyway, so he's not taking advantage of being off sick to go away. There's no statutory law against going away when sick. In fact, in some cases, it could be beneficial. Say you were signed-off for stress. Any reasonable person would realise time away from the pressures of work and home might be exactly what's needed to recover.

I'd say that as long as no-one could reasonably ask 'If he can't work, how can he do [whatever the break involves]?, then go for it.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If your OH is signed off sick by a doctor then there is nothing the company can do. Many sick people still go away, especially if the issue is mental.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Galaxy266 wrote: »
    I think you'll find that sick leave also applies to Saturday, even if you don't work on Saturday (if that makes any sense!)
    Even if that's true, it doesn't mean an employer can prevent an employee taking any sort of break whilst signed off sick. ATEOTD, a medical assessment from a qualifed medical professional will trump the opinion of a disgruntled middle-manager everytime. ;-)
  • Options
    abs2512abs2512 Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was in a very similar situation recently. I was off work for 6 weeks following surgery and about 3 weeks into my recovery I was supposed to go away for the weekend. I made sure that my work colleagues were fully aware of the situation and they all thought it would do me the world of good to get out from the four walls of my house as it was depressing the hell out of me not being able to get out and about.

I went away, had a wonderful time and I'm pretty sure the trip away aided my recovery.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many sicknesses are helped greatly by taking a break, I would hope an enlightened employer would understand that, if he is physically able it can only do him good I would think.
  • Options
    scottlscottl Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It used to be called convalescence in victorian times and is important to recovery.
  • Options
    DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be careful what you do.

I know someone who went on holiday whilst on the sick. He lost his job soon after return to work and the company wee shrewd enough not to mention the holiday whilst on sick leave and had all their ducks in a row as to the dismissal.
  • Options
    DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be careful what you do.

I know someone who went on holiday whilst on the sick. He lost his job soon after return to work and the company wee shrewd enough not to mention the holiday whilst on sick leave and had all their ducks in a row as to the dismissal.

I think that it all depends on the sickness and on the type of job. Someone signed off because of difficulty walking shouldn't then be going on a walking holiday! :)
  • Options
    Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    My boss went to Portugal when she was off with depression.
  • Options
    DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJW13 wrote: »
    I think that it all depends on the sickness and on the type of job. Someone signed off because of difficulty walking shouldn't then be going on a walking holiday! :)

And I think you haven't understood my post. Oh well ............................

(not wishing to get in an argument over this I will now quit the thread :()
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to clarify, it's a theatre break (not bungee jumping or similar!)
  • Options
    abs2512abs2512 Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to clarify, it's a theatre break (not bungee jumping or similar!)

I think it will do your other half the world of good. I love live theatre and show tickets and transport is very expensive now days - it would be a shame to loose all that money and for both him and you to be depressed over the lost weekend.
  • Options
    howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    I went for a break whilst on sick leave....it does you the power of good and helps you back to good health.
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    A work colleague of mine was on holiday in Florida when she became ill with a cold. She visited a doctor and got proof she had visited. When she came back to work she put a claim in with HR to get her holiday time back, and instead took the time she had had off as sick leave.

If you can get away with it - why not?

I don't see why your husband can't go to the theatre when he is off sick. It might perk him up so that he can return to work earlier.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just go - dont make a song and dance about it. See if you can turn off social media for2 days...many people are stupid enough to post photos of their holidays whilst supposedly on the sick.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't have be 'sick' only at your registered home address. Going away does not automatically mean you are suddenly well!
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    He will be using the weekend for convalescence, a word barely used these days, and as an aid to recovery.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be careful what you do.

If as you say they had their ducks in a row that sounds like he gave reasons for the dismissal other than going on holiday while sick. Perhaps the last straw rather than the actual reason.
  • Options
    maxsimaxsi Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no difference than going to tescos to don't the shopping.... It depends on the illness.
    If it's a contagious disease then it's not on. If it's mental illness then normally would be a great idea to have a break.
    And as a theatre trip it would be fine
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 421
    Forum Member
    If you are on holiday and fall sick and get a dr's note that covers those dates you are entitled to get your holiday days back. So based on that I see no issues going.
  • Options
    shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your husband's GP has declared him unfit for work, not unfit to do everything else, as far as I know. You are free to do what you like on sick leave, unless, for example, you go hill climbing with a supposedly broken leg, in which case you can be dismissed.

Your employer can ask you for permission to contact your GP if they have any doubts about your sick leave. You're not obligated to give them permission, but you might want to consider the potential consequences if you refuse.