Options

Is it worh thinking about getting an Archos

neyney Posts: 12,516
Forum Member
✭✭
I have seem on QVC and have heard the Archos is good. Is it worth me maybe next year thinking about getting one. I like the idea of the new 704 one having wi-fi to use the net but it seems a little dear the now. I have also looked in the Argos book and in Comet.

Darren

Comments

• Options
    StiggyStiggy Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    Definately worth it - i have a 605wifi and one of the best items ive bought this year!!

Great screen, so many functions and web browsing is a breeze!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggy wrote: »
    Definately worth it - i have a 605wifi and one of the best items ive bought this year!!

Great screen, so many functions and web browsing is a breeze!

Im really thinking of getting one but the one I looked at is over £300 and that seems a little dear the now. I can aford over £200 but not over £300.
    How easy is it to put your mp3 music from you PC on the Archos. Its mp3 music and web browsing I would use it for the most. and maybe watching the odd video clip. Also whats the battery life like.

Darren
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone got another views on the Archos.

Darren
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    ney wrote: »
    Anyone got another views on the Archos.

Darren

Have a read here ...

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/09/27/archos-605-wifi

.... if you're gonna buy it, try and find a package deal. Lack of mains charger (and very slow charging via USB) and having to buy extra firmware for access some of it's functionality is going to bump the cost up further for you.

To be honest, if you don't plan to either:

a - watch a lot of movies on it
    b - use it as a PVR

... it seems like you'd be spending an awful lot on an MP3 player.

Remember, the web browsing will only be usable while you're in range of a wireless hotspot. You can't just use it any old place ....
  • Options
    StiggyStiggy Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    ney wrote: »
    Im really thinking of getting one but the one I looked at is over £300 and that seems a little dear the now. I can aford over £200 but not over £300.
    How easy is it to put your mp3 music from you PC on the Archos. Its mp3 music and web browsing I would use it for the most. and maybe watching the odd video clip. Also whats the battery life like.

Darren

Its very easy to put mp3's on it, its basically just drag and drop. As it acts like a flash drive.
    All the folder structures are there so you just put mp3's direct in the music folder etc.

Battery life I have found pretty good, even when browsing the web. But this depends on how much you use it I guess.

I recommend it, its worth the £300! - I love the fact I can curl up in bed and still surf the web (how sad am i) lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will see if there is maybe one in the January sale that has the wi-fi. I would use the web via my BT Home Hub and put my MP3 music on it. I also now and again may use it to watch video clips via the BBC and ITV.com. Like I do on my PC. Thanks for the link.

Darren
  • Options
    sneekssneeks Posts: 861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought a 605 wifi two weeks ago and love it. If you wish to browse the web using wifi and play movies then it's well worth the cash. If video playback is not of interest to you then you may be better looking at the iPod Touch which has a brilliant web browser.