Anne Kirkbride has vowed never to quit Coronation Street after 40 years on the cobble

SpiciesforverSpiciesforver Posts: 78
Forum Member
Maybe she might be the next Ken Barlow in 30 years time :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Comments

• Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    She was 17 when he first appeared. :eek: I was surprised to read that.
  • TLC1098TLC1098 Posts: 1,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's only in her late 50's so she probably has another 30 years in her. However she will never be another Ken because she isn't an original character.
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always wonder if they have to splice together her scenes from multiple takes. I can't imagine that she doesn't have really dreadful coughing fits all the time when she has to speak forcefully, since she obviously smokes far too much listening to her voice.
  • Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member

She basically dedicated her life to Corrie. What a legend. :)
  • chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    Scorpio2 wrote: »

Simon Gregson was 15 when he started on Corrie and doesn't look like quitting for a long time to come.
  • Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    Simon Gregson was 15 when he started on Corrie and doesn't look like quitting for a long time to come.

That's what I like about the longtern actors the ones now just use soaps as stepping stones to boost their careers.
  • coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not suprised, the amount she's on. About 200k a year for having to whine at Ken and defend a cartoon killer.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

:) True. I think she's great. :)

She spoke movingly about Maggie Jones in the article as well. They shared a special relationship.
  • comedy89comedy89 Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The great thing about Corrie compared with the the other soaps is that characters stay.
    Ken-1960- Present
    Rita- 1960's-present
    Emily- 1961-Present
    Deidre- 1970-Present
    Gail- 1970's- Present
    Audrey- 1980's- Present
    Sally " "
    Kevin" "
    Steve " "

Recurring

Bill- 1985- Present (hopefully)
  • pegasus2pegasus2 Posts: 5,293
    Forum Member
    She may not have a choice in the matter when Stuart Blackburn takes over.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's what I like about the longtern actors the ones now just use soaps as stepping stones to boost their careers.

Hardly ever works though, does it?
  • LousianaLousiana Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to watch old eps on Granada + and she looked middle-aged in the 80s but maybe it was the fashion then.
  • Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly she is a rather average actor and would find it rather cold ouside I fear if she left the cushy number when the regular pay day from our favourite soap. She looks more like a gnarled oak tree every day and looks about the say age as Sue Nichols (Audrey) who is 72.
  • polkadottydresspolkadottydress Posts: 2,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad she's chosen to stay - it's nice continuity. More stuffed marrows!
  • comedy89comedy89 Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly she is a rather average actor and would find it rather cold ouside I fear if she left the cushy number when the regular pay day from our favourite soap. She looks more like a gnarled oak tree every day and looks about the say age as Sue Nichols (Audrey) who is 72.

Sue Nicholls is 68 actually, there is only 7 years difference between her and Helen Worth (Gail) who is 62.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hardly a shock/surprise headline, given that she's receiving a fantastic amount of money for a small amount of (not particularly difficult) work.

Next week : what popes do in the woods.
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    comedy89 wrote: »
    The great thing about Corrie compared with the the other soaps is that characters stay.
    Ken-1960- Present
    Rita- 1960's-present
    Emily- 1961-Present
    Deidre- 1970-Present
    Gail- 1970's- Present
    Audrey- 1980's- Present
    Sally " "
    Kevin" "
    Steve " "

Recurring

Bill- 1985- Present (hopefully)

Good point, and I think that's another reason why so many people would cite Corrie as their favourite soap. It's because most people have 'grown up' with a lot of the characters and they have become (at least a peripheral) part of their lives. With times as they are, I think it's important for people to have some 'constants' in their life. People like Ken, Rita, Emily, Deirdre and Gail have been around for as long as I can remember, and I really wouldn't be happy to lose any of them. Long may they all reign. :)
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chessie__x wrote: »
    I'm glad she's chosen to stay - it's nice continuity. More stuffed marrows!

The world can never have too many stuffed marrows.

Just ask Ken! :o:o