Options

League Two thread 14-15

Comments

• Options
    familyguy8904familyguy8904 Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see Luton are new leader of this division as they beat Northampton 1-0. Wycombe drop to second are they could only draw 1-1 to Dag & Red and I was surprise to see Bury lose 5-0 to Shrewsbury on Tues night but aleast they didn't lose again today as they draw 1-1 to Southend.

York draw for ninth time this season after they game with Mansfield finish 1-1, Tranmere and Hartlepool stay in bottom 2 but Tranmere did pick up point against Wimbledon today.
  • Options
    Trmcg5Trmcg5 Posts: 1,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luton have performed much better than I expected, I was thinking about mid-table for them. Bury sliding down again and it's the form on the road that's letting us down.
  • Options
    Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any Plymouth fans here ? Went to see them today thry beat Cheltnham 3-0 was a good performance .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see Wycombe have gone back to top of table after they beat Oxford 2-1 and Luton could only draw 1-1 to Exeter, Shrewsbury seen to be doing well as they move up to third and have win they last five games (in league) in row.

Good point for Hartlepool and Tranmere as both of them come from two goals down to draw 2-2 in they matches and York won for only second time this season as they beat Cheltenham 1-0. Looking at it, it seen like York was only team in bottom 9 to win today so good win that for York.
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see Wycombe have gone back to top of table after they beat Oxford 2-1 and Luton could only draw 1-1 to Exeter, Shrewsbury seen to be doing well as they move up to third and have win they last five games (in league) in row.

Good point for Hartlepool and Tranmere as both of them come from two goals down to draw 2-2 in they matches and York won for only second time this season as they beat Cheltenham 1-0. Looking at it, it seen like York was only team in bottom 9 to win today so good win that for York.

They were lucky to get the draw ouplayed for the second-half, Oakley, Noble and Grimes superb. Incredible passing and technique.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another good win for Bury. Wrapped it up early and kept a clean sheet.
    Good win for Wycombe too.
  • Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They were lucky to get the draw ouplayed for the second-half, Oakley, Noble and Grimes superb. Incredible passing and technique.

Does Alan Gow still play for Exeter lol?

Good to see a great community spirit between League Two fans
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    Does Alan Gow still play for Exeter lol?

Good to see a great community spirit between League Two fans

Nah he doesn't. Great player on form, but not so otherwise.

Matt Grimes will play in the Premiership, best player we've produced in my time watching them

What do you mean by community spirit?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nah he doesn't. Great player on form, but not so otherwise.

Matt Grimes will play in the Premiership, best player we've produced in my time watching them

What do you mean by community spirit?

Gow had a terrible spell at County a few years ago

I mean by community spirit that its great to see a few fans contributing weekly
  • Options
    carnivalistcarnivalist Posts: 4,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agreed. We were excellent in the second-half at Southend and Dagenham too, but this is the first time we've put that sort of Barcelona-esque performance together for most of the game. The only problem is the finishing otherwise it would have been a pasting. Even their own fans and their website admitted it - "fortunately they played like a Devon version of Barcelona and finished like Barton Rovers".

Given that we certainly are no higher than fourth-lowest budget in the division (I've seen informed opinion that claims we are joint second-lowest) and that because we are marooned in the football wilderness our budget doesn't go as far as teams in other locations anyway, Tisdale is performing miracles in my view. Shame we have soome ignoramuses who have been against him from the start simply because he doesn't fit their stereotype of a football manager.

By the way SNMN, are you a grecian as well?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    Does Alan Gow still play for Exeter lol?...

Wasn't playing for anyone when I looked a few weeks ago. Talented player with a shocking attitude by all accounts who is afflicted with unbelievable selfishness which blunts the effectiveness of his undoubted ability. Very often he is a liability rather than an asset - on the pitch as well as off it. I imagine that explains his extensive collection of former clubs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed. We were excellent in the second-half at Southend and Dagenham too, but this is the first time we've put that sort of Barcelona-esque performance together for most of the game. The only problem is the finishing otherwise it would have been a pasting. Even their own fans and their website admitted it - "fortunately they played like a Devon version of Barcelona and finished like Barton Rovers".

Given that we certainly are no higher than fourth-lowest budget in the division (I've seen informed opinion that claims we are joint second-lowest) and that because we are marooned in the football wilderness our budget doesn't go as far as teams in other locations anyway, Tisdale is performing miracles in my view. Shame we have soome ignoramuses who have been against him from the start simply because he doesn't fit their stereotype of a football manager.

By the way SNMN, are you a grecian as well?

Yes, I'm a grecian, and am called Grecian on other sites. Pobbop on Exeweb, as grecian was oddly taken.

Yes the finishing wasn't great, but it's hard to get a decent striker on our budget, so hard to know what can be done about it. That and the odd lapse in marking in defence is holding us back, may do all year. Only one clean sheet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I'm a grecian, and am called Grecian on other sites. Pobbop on Exeweb, as grecian was oddly taken.

Recognise the name from yesteryear. Like many others I know I never look at exeweb anymore. It's a total embarrassment to ECFC fans IMO. Sad really, because it used to be excellent back in the day.
    Yes the finishing wasn't great, but it's hard to get a decent striker on our budget, so hard to know what can be done about it...

It's hard to get a BAD striker on our budget! The youth system is the best hope.
    That and the odd lapse in marking in defence is holding us back, may do all year. Only one clean sheet.

Again, that's down to the budget and injuries. Baldwin is a massive loss - not least because of the way his experience benefits the youngsters.

Our young players coming through are really exciting. Unfortunately like all young professionals, young players need time to progress and will make mistakes in the process - it will be two steps forward, one step back for a while. For example some of those mistakes cost us games last year and were partly responsible for the terrifying white-knuckle ride we had to endure.

On the subject of Grimes, while I agree with your assessment I think Pym is as good a prospect. Bear in mind he's practically a foetus in goalkeeper terms and yet his mental strength, calmness and distribution is already remarkable - not to mention his shot-stopping. He's made the odd mistake with balls into the box, as we saw to our cost against the enemy, but if he didn't have any flaws to iron out he wouldn't be playing for us. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the Premier League too by the time he's 25 or so.

What a shame that the pernicious effect of the Greed Is Good League and the insane financial system it brings with it means that we will probably not be able to build a team with all these youngsters. It would be a mouth-watering prospect to see them all playing together at SJP in a few years.
  • Options
    LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    Looking at it, it seen like York was only team in bottom 9 to win today so good win that for York.
    As it was me who asked if we could have a League 2 thread, I feel a bit apologetic for not writing much in recent weeks. During that time, York lost the plot and a manager. Funding - borrowed - was agreed for a new ground in an out of town shopping centre by summer 2016 which is not necessarily a good thing for the "traditionalists".

Fortunately a win was achieved last week but it was only the second all season. It is probably helpful to have a cup distraction this afternoon although the gut feeling is that a win will not be easy. Anyhow, well done to those in the top seven. Luton, Shrewsbury and Plymouth are all on fine runs and Bury look like they are picking up again.
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed. We were excellent in the second-half at Southend and Dagenham too, but this is the first time we've put that sort of Barcelona-esque performance together for most of the game.

Oh dear, Barcelona one week, beaten by Warrington the next. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    Oh dear, Barcelona one week, beaten by Warrington the next. :p

Well it was the match report on the Luton fans site that described us as playing like Barcelona.

We were unlucky to lose to Warrington - contrary to the hyped up commentary. desperately pushing the romance of the FA Cup angle, it wasn't a case of plucky little Warrington outplaying the League 2 side. They didn't do a great deal in the match in an offensive sense, particualrly ater the first twenty minutes or so. They won by virtue of an under par first half hour from us and a flukey own goal - not to mention lenient refereeing to say the least.

It's easy for "workrate" and "desire" to stop a better opposition side playing when the referee also seems to get caught up in they hype and allows GBH to go unpunished. A tackle is not automatically a good old crunching challenge simply because the tackler "got the ball" - a challenge that endangers an opponent is illegal regardless. For some reason that fact that seems to be lost on many fans and even some pundits, managers and players, despite the fact the rules were changed twenty years ago.

Warrington should have had at least one man sent off - even Robbie Savage expressed surprise that the tackle on Grimes went unpunished. There were a number of other poor challenges that were ignored - Noble was actually put out of the game by one (although to be fair he was having an off day anyway). I can't help thinking that Tisdale's instructions to the players to never harass the referee and avoid gamesmanship are doing us no good at all.

We absolutely battered them second half - our 72% possession, 28 shots and 11 corners in the game tells the story. Good luck to them in future, but this wasn't a Curzon Ashton-style humiliation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TBH, what I said about us before the match, we tend to defend set-pieces badly and we don't finish well all came to fruition.

We kept the ball okay on a terrible pitch, but that's not the point of the game, it's to score more than the oppo.

We failed, it really is gutting we desperately needed the money, no idea whether we'll have to sale in January now, just hope there isn't an hangover in the League and we can get a decent crowd for the Shrews match.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well it was the match report on the Luton fans site that described us as playing like Barcelona.

We were unlucky to lose to Warrington - contrary to the hyped up commentary. desperately pushing the romance of the FA Cup angle, it wasn't a case of plucky little Warrington outplaying the League 2 side. They didn't do a great deal in the match in an offensive sense, particualrly ater the first twenty minutes or so. They won by virtue of an under par first half hour from us and a flukey own goal - not to mention lenient refereeing to say the least.

It's easy for "workrate" and "desire" to stop a better opposition side playing when the referee also seems to get caught up in they hype and allows GBH to go unpunished. A tackle is not automatically a good old crunching challenge simply because the tackler "got the ball" - a challenge that endangers an opponent is illegal regardless. For some reason that fact that seems to be lost on many fans and even some pundits, managers and players, despite the fact the rules were changed twenty years ago.

Warrington should have had at least one man sent off - even Robbie Savage expressed surprise that the tackle on Grimes went unpunished. There were a number of other poor challenges that were ignored - Noble was actually put out of the game by one (although to be fair he was having an off day anyway). I can't help thinking that Tisdale's instructions to the players to never harass the referee and avoid gamesmanship are doing us no good at all.

We absolutely battered them second half - our 72% possession, 28 shots and 11 corners in the game tells the story. Good luck to them in future, but this wasn't a Curzon Ashton-style humiliation.
    TBH, what I said about us before the match, we tend to defend set-pieces badly and we don't finish well all came to fruition.

We kept the ball okay on a terrible pitch, but that's not the point of the game, it's to score more than the oppo.

We failed, it really is gutting we desperately needed the money, no idea whether we'll have to sale in January now, just hope there isn't an hangover in the League and we can get a decent crowd for the Shrews match.

Have you two both read the article about Exeter in this months Four Four Two? If not, read it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wycombe have move back to top of table after they beat Cheltenham 4-1, our Exeter fans will be happy tonight as Shrewsbury blow two goals lead to lose 3-2 and also miss chance to go top of this division and Burton won big game in this division today as they beat Luton 1-0.

Hartlepool and Tranmere both lost today and now 6 points behide York, Dag-Red and Carlisle at foot of table. (York beat Hartlepool 3-1 and Dag & Red beat Carlisle 4-2)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great win for us, really important, incredible fight and skill, but have to say Ryan Woods looks a real talent for the Shrews.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mansfield responded to Paul Cox leaving with a 1-0 win over Plymouth, their first win since 20th September
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happening to Bury, lost last Saturday to Newport and lost again today to Dag & Red mean they slip down to 8th in table?

Wycombe, Luton and Shrewsbury are in top 3 after all of them won today, Newport are now in top 7 after they beat Carlisle 3-2 and Bury lost 2-0 to Dag & Red.

Tranmere won for first time since August (beat Portsmouth 3-1) and go within three points of Carlisle but Hartlepool still sit at bottom of table as they lost 3-1 to Wycombe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This dip in form is not good for Bury, need to get back to winning ways soon.

This early on but I think Hatrlepool will go down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trmcg5 wrote: »
    This dip in form is not good for Bury, need to get back to winning ways soon.

This early on but I think Hartlepool will go down.

I probably agree with you about Hartlepool as unless they go on good run I can't see them finishing about 22nd places come April/May.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't seen that long ago that Exeter were near bottom of table and haven't won a game now they are in top 7 after they beat Carlisle 2-0 and Southend lost 4-1 to top of table Wycombe.

I see Tranmere got big win against Dag & Red and move them out of bottom 2 replace by Carlisle, York are only one point above drop zone after they lost 3-2 to Wimbledon and Hartlepool lost for 14 time this season after Burton beat them 4-0.