Top Of The Pops 1978 - BBC4

Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have decided to show my confidence that we will be seeing Top Of The Pops 1978 come the new year on BBC4, and so have decided to kick off the thread ready and waiting! :)

Comments

• AdamDowdsAdamDowds Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my favourite years outside the 1980's.

Will make more of an effort to watch these. Some of my favourite ABBA songs were released in this year (The Album is my second favourite album) and in my opinion, the peak of Blondie's output started in 78 (minus Maria in 1999). Not forgetting the rise of The Police.
  • hello.memberhello.member Posts: 7,635
    Forum Member
    What's wrong with Maria? Great track!
  • AdamDowdsAdamDowds Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's wrong with Maria? Great track!

Nothing! It's my favourite track of theirs. What I meant was that 1978 was when Blondie was at their best apart from Maria. Fantastic tune.
  • hello.memberhello.member Posts: 7,635
    Forum Member
    Oops sorry Adam, misread that! haha
  • Tele_addictTele_addict Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to have you back Rich Tea! Fingers crossed for '78
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AdamDowds wrote: »
    One of my favourite years outside the 1980's.

Will make more of an effort to watch these. Some of my favourite ABBA songs were released in this year (The Album is my second favourite album) and in my opinion, the peak of Blondie's output started in 78 (minus Maria in 1999). Not forgetting the rise of The Police.

If only we could! Some decent early material, absolute rubbish from 1980-2, but at least a decent album and singles in 1983.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to have you back Rich Tea! Fingers crossed for '78

Thanks Tele Addict, I hadn't gone far, just my bed for a spell! Funny that Highlander hasn't posted for a similar amount of time too at exactly the same time as me. I know we've got loads in common, age and memories etc, but this is ridiculous! :p At one point the pair of us were both hogging the TOTP 1977 thread all to ourselves for a day or two!

I hate the bagpipes, so there will have to be a lot of perseverence over the next couple of months if we get that far! :D
  • SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is the year I started taping selected hits from the Top 40 show on Sundays. Still have some of the tapes, although not exactly hi-fi, being recorded from medium wave through a condenser mic on a cassette recorder!
  • darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apperently someone on another forum who has digiguide says TOTP 78 is starting on thursday 17th january 2013 7.30 - 8pm ,if the info is true it will most likely it will be the 5th January 1978 peter powell hosted episode - bit of a poor show to start the year with terry wogan and brotherhood of man (but it's not all bad as there are eddie and the hotrods and Tonight on the show too )
  • ROBERT129ROBERT129 Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    darnall42 wrote: »
    Apperently someone on another forum who has digiguide says TOTP 78 is starting on thursday 17th january 2013 7.30 - 8pm ,if the info is true it will most likely it will be the 5th January 1978 peter powell hosted episode - bit of a poor show to start the year with terry wogan and brotherhood of man (but it's not all bad as there are eddie and the hotrods and Tonight on the show too )

yeah confirmed scheduled thurs 17th jan is 5/1/78 30 minutes long but no late night repeat though, hopefully more will follow.
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does no late night repeat mean we'll be deprived of the unedited versions? :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    Does no late night repeat mean we'll be deprived of the unedited versions? :mad:
    Maybe we'll get a saturday night repeat (Hopefully at a decent time :) )
  • RichuptonRichupton Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ROBERT129 wrote: »
    yeah confirmed scheduled thurs 17th jan is 5/1/78 30 minutes long but no late night repeat though, hopefully more will follow.

I hope that this does herald a continuation of TOTP and isn't merely a placeholder
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1977 was a good year, but 1978 was even better with Kate Bush, The Boomtown Rats, Blondie, ELO and some excellent disco tracks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    1977 was a good year, but 1978 was even better with Kate Bush, The Boomtown Rats, Blondie, ELO and some excellent disco tracks.

I agree because 1978 does always seem to be a regular and particular favourite on retro chart shows such as Pick Of The Pops and Smooth's Double Top Twenty, both which I listen to. Darts, who we have just seen with their debut late 1977 hit on TOTP 1977 were probably the unluckiest group of 1978 in chart statistical terms, reaching No2 with each of their three consecutive releases throughout the year and never achieving a chart topping single.
  • Nick GNick G Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd go further. 1978 was, arguably, the greatest year in the history of pop. It had everything - new wave's commercial peak (Denis Denis, Rat Trap, Rhythm stick climbing at the end of the year), disco's peak (Night Fever, Le Freak), all time classics (Baker Street, Wuthering Heights) and some of the biggest selling singles of all time. Just the argument to put at any management meeting that was thinking of stopping these re-runs!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick G wrote: »
    I'd go further. 1978 was, arguably, the greatest year in the history of pop. It had everything - new wave's commercial peak (Denis Denis, Rat Trap, Rhythm stick climbing at the end of the year), disco's peak (Night Fever, Le Freak), all time classics (Baker Street, Wuthering Heights) and some of the biggest selling singles of all time. Just the argument to put at any management meeting that was thinking of stopping these re-runs!

.....and the record I bought in 1978? ahem....Brian & Michael's Matchstalk Men & Matchstalk Cats & Dogs! My first, age almost 9. To think it knocked Kate Bush from the top, one of my all time fave artists. How could I have helped that happen? Being under the age of criminal responsibility is no excuse. :D
  • keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick G wrote: »

78 was good but 79 was even better, all the genre's you quote but also the real arrival of mainstream electronic music in the guise of Gary Numan/Tubeway Army.

Has there ever been a more varied selection of Number Ones?

Village People - Y.M.C.A.
    Ian And The Blockheads - Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick
    Blondie - Heart Of Glass
    Bee Gees - Tragedy
    Gloria Gaynor - I Will Survive
    Art Garfunkel - Bright Eyes
    Blondie - Sunday Girl
    Anita Ward - Ring My Bell
    Tubeway Army - Are 'Friends' Electric?
    Boomtown Rats - I Don't Like Mondays
    Cliff Richard - We Don't Talk Anymore
    Police - Message In A Bottle
    Buggles Video Killed The Radio Star
    Lena Martell - One Day At A Time
    Dr.Hook - When You're In Love With A Beautiful Woman
    Police - Walking On The Moon
    Pink Floyd - Another Brick In The Wall (Part II)
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,684
    Forum Member
    AdamDowds wrote: »
    Nothing! It's my favourite track of theirs. What I meant was that 1978 was when Blondie was at their best apart from Maria. Fantastic tune.

Maria is an awesome tune :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit of a spoiler (but it wont ever be shown on TV again ;) ) But there is a savile hosted show from 27th April 1978 on the bbc motion gallery http://www.bbcmotiongallery.com/gallery/clip/2B00DE104_xxx.do?keywords=top%2Cof%2Cthe%2Cpops worth it to see rafella carla singing do it again :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    keicar wrote: »
    Has there ever been a more varied selection of Number Ones?

Village People - Y.M.C.A.
    Ian And The Blockheads - Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick
    Blondie - Heart Of Glass
    Bee Gees - Tragedy
    Gloria Gaynor - I Will Survive
    Art Garfunkel - Bright Eyes
    Blondie - Sunday Girl
    Anita Ward - Ring My Bell
    Tubeway Army - Are 'Friends' Electric?
    Boomtown Rats - I Don't Like Mondays
    Cliff Richard - We Don't Talk Anymore
    Police - Message In A Bottle
    Buggles Video Killed The Radio Star
    Lena Martell - One Day At A Time
    Dr.Hook - When You're In Love With A Beautiful Woman
    Police - Walking On The Moon
    Pink Floyd - Another Brick In The Wall (Part II)

You missed out Cars by Gary Numan, which was there for a week between Cliff and Message In A Bottle
  • jake1981jake1981 Posts: 5,713
    Forum Member
    Bit of a spoiler (but it wont ever be shown on TV again ;) ) But there is a savile hosted show from 27th April 1978 on the bbc motion gallery http://www.bbcmotiongallery.com/gallery/clip/2B00DE104_xxx.do?keywords=top%2Cof%2Cthe%2Cpops worth it to see rafella carla singing do it again :D

Thanks. Just watched rafella. :)
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    I agree because 1978 does always seem to be a regular and particular favourite on retro chart shows such as Pick Of The Pops and Smooth's Double Top Twenty, both which I listen to. Darts, who we have just seen with their debut late 1977 hit on TOTP 1977 were probably the unluckiest group of 1978 in chart statistical terms, reaching No2 with each of their three consecutive releases throughout the year and never achieving a chart topping single.

Darts were part of a big fifties revival that would continue into the eighties, much of it inspired by Grease, which came out that year( although I think they were more talented than John Travolta).
    Also you had the second generation of punk, the rumblings of a mod revival started by The Jam, the height of the disco scene and also the Rolling Stones cashing in on this scene with Miss You. Not as well known, that popular staple of music shows in the early and mid seventies, The New Seekers, had their last chart hit in 1978 with a more edgy song called Anthem.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great that today Kate Bush has been given the CBE ,It's going to be great to see the Debut of kate to top of the pops in 1978 In Digital quality in a few weeks time :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great that today Kate Bush has been given the CBE ,It's going to be great to see the Debut of kate to top of the pops in 1978 In Digital quality in a few weeks time :D

You beat me to it Darnall! I agree, fantastic news, but I would have liked her to have been made a Dame. I think the CBE is the next honour down. I wonder if it might give a slight bump to her record sales?

Mind you, with honours being thrown around like confetti nowadays to anyone in sport who achieves, getting something 5 minutes later (unlike England's 1966 team!) I should think it is soon going to be more prestigious NOT to have been given any kind of gong!

But Kate Bush is a true deserving case. Maybe she has been secretly giving to charity or some other selfless act? They seem rarely to give them to musicians just for musical aptitude alone in so many cases.

I also love the fact that Bowie always refuses the lot!
This discussion has been closed.