Programmes, films, series etc you hated as a child...

Comments

• allafixallafix Posts: 20,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A local magazine programme in London called Here and Now. One evening it ran an item on accident prevention and used an image of skull (as a danger symbol) full screen and as a backdrop. I was very young and found anything to do with skulls and skeletons terrifying. It scared the daylights out of me. I was petrified they might show it again so did anything I could to avoid watching it.

The other show I remember hating was Crossroads. My family never watched it, but it was always on at tea time in a friend's house when I went there, his mum watched it. I hated everything about it: the title music, the wooden acting and the weird credit sequence with titles going up and across alternately.
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The wooden tops, it wasn't proper TV like the flowerpot men.
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,889
    Forum Member
    Star Trek.

My dad loved it an in those days you watched what dad wanted to watch.
    Hated it , apart from "The Trouble with Tribbles" . that episode is great.

My sister still loves it, and although I am a sci fi fan (it was really unavoidable in our house). Still can't be doing with Star Trek in any of its forms.

"Sorry". As a kid I just couldn't understand a grown man would put up with being treat like a child. I might have a better understanding of it now but don't think its ever been repeated has it?

Like others I also preferred Magpie to Blue Peter. Just couldn't qrelate to BP.

Rainbow - At the time i didn't connect that Zippy had the same voice as the daleks but I hated it anyway

Sorry! has been repeated a few times on GOLD in the past year, I don't think it had been repeated much (if at all) before that. I liked it as a kid and I still find it funny. Barbara Lott was brilliant :D
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,641
    Forum Member
    Bagpuss - always struck me as depressing

Highway to Heaven - just no.

The Littlest Hobo - 😢.

Emmerdale Farm - a farm? No thanks.

The Sullivans - seemed to drag on for ever and ever and my mam insisted on watching it.

Blue Peter - Schools finished, learning is over.

Rentaghost.

Highway / Songs of Praise - weekends over and back to school tomorrow!
  • mr coffeemr coffee Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    Byker Grove.

My sister watched it every time it was on, but I found it way too bleak. Apart from the mutton-chopped Geoff, there never seemed to be any adult prescence, it felt like some sort of Geordie Lord Of The Flies dystopia. With shell suits. I would always go upstairs and play on the computer until it was time for Neighbours.

Also Highway To Heaven on ITV on a Sunday afternoon. If I hear that theme music now I'm instantly transported to my nan's house, my dad snoring his head off in the armchair, my mum nattering away to my nan, and my sister with her head buried in the stack of Woman's Realm, Womans Own etc. You know you're bored when you're looking forward to Bullseye as salvation.

Dark days, dark days...
  • kitchenpersonkitchenperson Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    Also, in the days before Neighbours was on in the 5.30 slot ( yes I'm that old) they used to have certain kids shows like 'Rolf Harris Cartoon time' and 'The Flintstones' filling the slot which I loved. However, they sometimes filled it with stuff like 'Masterteam' or 'Fax' (does anyone recall that ? it was hosted by Bill Oddie) these shows I hated most because my cartoons were taken off because of them.>:(
    I remember "Fax!". I used to quite fancy the female presenter, Wendy Leavesley. What happened to her?

Another show that was in that 5:30 pre-news slot before "Neighbours" muscled in was that rubbish kids' quiz show "First Class", presented by Debbie Greenwood. That was rubbish. The computer graphics were terrible.

What I remember most about "Mah-ster-team" was the blatant discrimination in one of the semi-finals, I think, where Rippon let the posh team win instead of the down to earth northern one - the one who pronounced pot pourri as "pot", rhyming with "slot" and "pourri" rhyming with "scorey", if you remember it.
  • dottzie38dottzie38 Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Used to despise crossroads and Emmerdale farm (love ED now though :D) I think because I meant an end to kids tv and bedtime was nearing lol. Kids programme I hated was why don't you even now just thinking about it eurghhhh

ETA
    And byker bloody grove with the exception of the glorious Dec lol
  • stewartuustewartuu Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    Like many others, basically any show that was a staple of Sunday evenings - Antiques Roadshow and the like... because it meant it was time to do all that homework I'd put off, and an early night. Even fun stuff like Bullseye I found to have that tinge to it. Eurgh, still feels depressing now, just thinking of it.

I was terrified of Tommy Cooper growing up - I'm sure it was the fez!! - and couldn't watch him as a child, but found I appreciated him far more a few years later.

Fifteen to One used to annoy me as it meant no Countdown. It grew on me when they were shown in tandem.

And I always thought Noel's House Party was atrocious.
  • Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Count me in as another one who could not stand Blue Peter - I always got the feeling I was being talked down to like an idiot.

Could take or leave Why Don't You?

I am sure I will think of more but just off the top of my head Last of the Summer Wine, Hartbeat, Songs of Praise and Emerdale Farm (as it was then) used to bore me to tears. The Final Score still does :o

I don't get this attitude towards Blue Peter at all! from the age of 6 to around 15 I loved that show. Maybe it's something that people have interpreted in their own minds. Never saw it as patronizing. Compare it to kids TV now, the you will see patronizing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clm2071 wrote: »
    Bagpuss - always struck me as depressing

Highway to Heaven - just no.

The Littlest Hobo - 😢.

Emmerdale Farm - a farm? No thanks.

The Sullivans - seemed to drag on for ever and ever and my mam insisted on watching it.

Blue Peter - Schools finished, learning is over.

Rentaghost.

Highway / Songs of Praise - weekends over and back to school tomorrow!

I agree about the Sunday programmes. I also remember watching Mastermind on a Sunday night and being aware that when it finished bedtime was aproaching, and school beckoned.:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mr coffee wrote: »
    Byker Grove.

My sister watched it every time it was on, but I found it way too bleak. Apart from the mutton-chopped Geoff, there never seemed to be any adult prescence, it felt like some sort of Geordie Lord Of The Flies dystopia. With shell suits. I would always go upstairs and play on the computer until it was time for Neighbours.

Also Highway To Heaven on ITV on a Sunday afternoon. If I hear that theme music now I'm instantly transported to my nan's house, my dad snoring his head off in the armchair, my mum nattering away to my nan, and my sister with her head buried in the stack of Woman's Realm, Womans Own etc. You know you're bored when you're looking forward to Bullseye as salvation.

Dark days, dark days...

Ahh yes funny you say that about Highway to Heaven, because I associate it with my nan too. About 25 years ago when it was on, if we were at her house we had to watch it in silence lol. It was dreadful.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember "Fax!". I used to quite fancy the female presenter, Wendy Leavesley. What happened to her?

Another show that was in that 5:30 pre-news slot before "Neighbours" muscled in was that rubbish kids' quiz show "First Class", presented by Debbie Greenwood. That was rubbish. The computer graphics were terrible.

What I remember most about "Mah-ster-team" was the blatant discrimination in one of the semi-finals, I think, where Rippon let the posh team win instead of the down to earth northern one - the one who pronounced pot pourri as "pot", rhyming with "slot" and "pourri" rhyming with "scorey", if you remember it.

I don't remember Masterteam in great detail, just that it was boring to me as a 9 year old. I was very annoyed when Neighbours moved to the 5.30 slot though because I knew it was a soap and would go on forever. However I soon got sucked into it...like most kids at that time. The popularity of Neighbours in the late 80s was amazing.
  • aquasplash3aquasplash3 Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grange Hill. To come home from school and then watch a programme set in a school just didn't appeal to me.
    Forum Member
    "Agaton Sax". I used to find it boring listening to someone reading a story, with the occasional illustration to break the monotony. And I found Kenneth Williams odd.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Agaton Sax". I used to find it boring listening to someone reading a story, with the occasional illustration to break the monotony. And I found Kenneth Williams odd.

Sound like Jackanory you're talking about, there, not an actual version of Agaton Sax, of which I remember an animated version on TV-already having read some of the books-in the late 70s.
  • Lady_MidnightLady_Midnight Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    Has anyone mentioned the frankly terrifying 'Pipkins' yet?
    One of it's star puppets was the creepy Hartley Hare, but he had other disturbing sidekicks.
    Be very afraid.......
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMdBh09zP8U
    Forum Member
    Sound like Jackanory you're talking about, there, not an actual version of Agaton Sax, of which I remember an animated version on TV-already having read some of the books-in the late 70s.
    Yep, I meant when he was on "Jackanory".
  • raymartin01raymartin01 Posts: 1,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't stay in the room when Daktari was on - it used to drive me up the wall!

Something about the whole cheesy atmosphere and so-called amusing animals, Yuk!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I couldn't stay in the room when Daktari was on - it used to drive me up the wall!

Something about the whole cheesy atmosphere and so-called amusing animals, Yuk!!

All I remember from that iis Clarence the cross-eyed lion!
  • sickparrotsickparrot Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A few off the top of my head:

Junior Showtime

Coronation Street when Ena Sharples was in it - terrifying

Grange Hill - I hated school, why would I want to be reminded of it?

Any of the weird 'educational' stuff the used to put on at school like Picture Box.

Boring costume dramas like The Onedin Line
    Forum Member
    sickparrot wrote: »
    Same here - and "The Duchess of Duke Street". I remember having to watch that because my mum liked it. Zzzz.
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sickparrot wrote: »
    A few off the top of my head:

Junior Showtime

Coronation Street when Ena Sharples was in it - terrifying

Grange Hill - I hated school, why would I want to be reminded of it?

Any of the weird 'educational' stuff the used to put on at school like Picture Box.

I'd forgotten that awful show. Definitely on my hated list.

I liked the Onedin Line when it first started and was more about the sea. Later on it became just another tedious costume drama.
  • victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiz waz- for the rough kids
    One man & his dog
    Songs of praise
    The good old days
  • annielouannielou Posts: 10,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doctor Who - it was for geeks in the 1970s - and still is.

Also hated Jackanory, which is weird as I loved reading as a kid.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    victor mel wrote: »
    Tiz waz- for the rough kids

I thought of myself as a fan, at the time. Looking back, I actually watched largely out of habit, and because I found Tarrant et all amiable, familiar and comforting. It was largely rather mindless and crass with its throwing of water and hitting people with 'custard' pies of cardboard, crepe paper and shaving foam. Lenny Henry was fresh and funny, though. In retrospect, he was the best of it, along with the music videos and film clips they showed.