Top Of The Pops 1978 - BBC4

Comments

• faversham saintfaversham saint Posts: 2,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    I love this post Servalan, I'd sure love to know who was writing such clueless tosh in the music press at the time! Classic. :)

Love your take on the pre and post Christmas 1973 / New Year 1974 period too. Being only 4 at the time and about to start at pre-school playgroup all I know is that it was a very bleak time in the country, which the great music over Christmas at least does not reflect from that period of power cuts, short working weeks and TV ending just after 10pm.

BIB - should read Erithian - you seem to have Servalan on the brain... ;)
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My sincere apologies to Erithian, yes your links I had a good read through and enjoyed. Thanks for sharing them. I've been typing some ludicrously late night posts unable to sleep! My excuse and I'm sticking to it. :D

On a more serious note I believe that post #1247 has the makings of trolling about it, and this good natured TOTP thread does not need that kind of thing. What it could do with is our absent pal Highlander back with us again soon, and Servalan & Fave St I'm sure you'd both agree.

Just got my old 80's ghetto blaster out & gave it a go, it still works. Played Elvis's big summer '69 hit on it. One of his best! :p

(oh and I gave White Lines & The Message by Grandmaster Flash a whirl too while I was at it, utterly 80's, oops 1978 isn't it, not even a Sony Walkman on the scene just yet!) :cool:
  • ErithianErithian Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    Well I wasn't going to mention it myself... but thanks!!

Come to think of it, if you'll take it from someone with no axe to grind, your choice of words was a tad unfortunate there Rich - it's one of those words we tend to use quite innocently away from its original meaning but sometimes you get too close to that meaning.

White Lines and The Message are the prime examples of why rap doesn't always come with a "c" in front of it - social comment, no dissing of hoes, no bragging, no product placement, none of the stuff that does make a lot of rap tedious.
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My sincere apologies to Erithian, yes your links I had a good read through and enjoyed. Thanks for sharing them. I've been typing some ludicrously late night posts unable to sleep! My excuse and I'm sticking to it. :D

On a more serious note I believe that post #1247 has the makings of trolling about it, and this good natured TOTP thread does not need that kind of thing. What it could do with is our absent pal Highlander back with us again soon, and Servalan & Fave St I'm sure you'd both agree.

Just got my old 80's ghetto blaster out & gave it a go, it still works. Played Elvis's big summer '69 hit on it. One of his best! :p

(oh and I gave White Lines & The Message by Grandmaster Flash a whirl too while I was at it, utterly 80's, oops 1978 isn't it, not even a Sony Walkman on the scene just yet!) :cool:

Ah, the desperate response of someone who cannot defend what they have written, accuse someone else of trolling. I see nothing good natured about phrases like: "...the now saturated list of X Factor chancers in the karaoke puppet genre.....I personally just crave the day when (c)rap music finally goes totally out of fashion and goes back to it's little ghetto again." Please stick to the topic, i.e. TOTP 1978. If you want to continue to make disparaging off topic remarks set up your own thread somewhere else.
  • BrambleRambleBrambleRamble Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    ^^ Oh, the irony. In the previous TOTP threads you called other FMs "trolls" for having the temerity to disagree with you. Rich Tea certainly isn't the first FM you've picked a fight with.
  • Mrs MackintoshMrs Mackintosh Posts: 1,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^ Oh, the irony. In the previous TOTP threads you called other FMs "trolls" for having the temerity to disagree with you. Rich Tea certainly isn't the first FM you've picked a fight with.

Yeah, I was one of them! :D

Seriously, The Gatherer is harmless, he seems to get a bee in the old bonnet occasionally but he's certainly not a troll.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I realise you're in a spat with The Gatherer, I've been on the receiving end of them myself, but he's no more a troll than me and your mate "Highlander" had no hesitation in calling me one just for disagreeing with him.

You'll probably take this the wrong way and I apologise for any offence, but this thread is getting a bit too clubby and elitist for me, with the same people posting more to each other than the whole forum,

For personal reasons I don't miss "Highlander" at all and when he was on here, it was very irritating seeing post after post starting up with "Hi Highlander!" , "Hi Rich!" etc.

This is a public forum, not a private club.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

BIB - could someone please tell me what FM stands for (apart from Frequency Modulation)?
    Thanks in anticipation.

Edit - I've just sussed from 'This is a public forum' in the last line of the above post from Mrs. Mackintosh that it means Forum Member?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^ Forum Member
  • BrambleRambleBrambleRamble Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    BIB - could someone please tell me what FM stands for (apart from Frequency Modulation)?
    Thanks in anticipation.

It means forum member.

ETA.Mrs Mac beat me to it!
  • UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    Thanks in anticipation.

Edit - I've just sussed from 'This is a public forum' in the last line of the above post from Mrs. Mackintosh that it means Forum Member?

And could someone tell me what BIB stands for!! ? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UrsulaU wrote: »

Ha, this confused me for years...it's Bit In Bold. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UrsulaU wrote: »

Rest assured, you are not the first FM to ask this question :o !!
    Forum Member
    Ha, this confused me for years...it's Bit In Bold. :D

Oh thanks!!
    - Looking forward to TOTP 78 again this week! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me too. I love watching it with my old man and we recall all the other things that were going on in our lives during that particular chart run, nothing really brings back memories like music, does it?
    Forum Member
    Yes - Just wish BBC4 wouldn't be so keen on tampering with all the episodes at this crucial period in music! :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hmmm......

But I certainly haven't picked a fight with Rich Tea, I have just objected to the way he has hijacked the thread to voice his strongly negative and often offensive views which have nothing to do with the topic. As examples, SAW (not around till the mid 80s), rap (not around till the next year), X Factor (not around till mid 2000s) have nothing to do with TOTP 1978. If people wish to make such comments on this thread they should not object when others rebut them. You will notice that I haven't made any such comments myself, apart from in response to what other members have posted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I was one of them! :D

Seriously, The Gatherer is harmless, he seems to get a bee in the old bonnet occasionally but he's certainly not a troll.

I belatedly apologise (although I don't remember) - I must have run out of a decent argument or just got exasperated with what you posted! But despite what brambleramble says I certainly do not make a habit of accusing people of being trolls. Yes you are correct, I do get a bee in my bonnet when certain people post so many critical posts!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I belatedly apologise (although I don't remember) - I must have run out of a decent argument or just got exasperated with what you posted! But despite what brambleramble says I certainly do not make a habit of accusing people of being trolls. Yes you are correct, I do get a bee in my bonnet when certain people post so many critical posts!

Hee! Apology accepted Gatherer (belatedly is good enough for me). It's more than I ever got from "Highlander" :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back to the last TOTP 1978..... I think "Hot Legs" is one of Rod's best singles, but that the double A side to it is even better. "I Was Only Joking" is my favourite Rod ballad. It includes the line "Verse 7 was never clear" which I think was a reference to "Maggie May".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hee! Apology accepted Gatherer (belatedly is good enough for me). It's more than I ever got from "Highlander" :D

Thank you! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^ You're welcome. Is it right that we wont see Blondie's debut singing Denis cos it's a DLT episode?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think that's right! :mad: Hopefully we'll see my favourite Blondie track (and favourite Debbie appearance!) "Picture This" later in the year (which surprisingly was one of their lower charting singles).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think that's right! :mad: Hopefully we'll see my favourite Blondie track (and favourite Debbie appearance!) "Picture This" later in the year (which surprisingly was one of their lower charting singles).

What an absolute scunner that is. Picture This is my favourite track off Parallel Lines. I veer between that and Union City Blue as my all time fave Blondie single.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it right that we wont see Blondie's debut singing Denis cos it's a DLT episode?

If so, I will have to wait an extra three weeks at least to see Manhattan Transfer perform 'Walk in Love' in the TOTP studio. :mad:
This discussion has been closed.