A newbie to Stargate SG1

LMLM Posts: 63,477
Forum Member
✭✭
Any fans of Stargate SG1?

I know I have a huge 10 seasons to go, but I have began downloading the show as I have never seen it before, but well aware of the success and huge following it has.

I have actually found a list online listing the main episodes to watch important to the storylines and mythology, as a sort of a rush through. But if i do like it, would happily buy the complete series and eventually watch every episode.

Comments

• JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member
    Its a great show, enjoy it, it was good right up until the end despite quite alot of changes and ended when it should have :)

First 3 episodes are a bit slow but stick with it!
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you seen the original film? That helps to set the scene and Michael Shanks is so like James Spader that you can think they are one and the same.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks

No i haven't seen the original film, but heard you can skip it anyway
  • RazzylewRazzylew Posts: 737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ooo you're at the start of a great journey! You're right you can skip the film, but it is also very watchable if you do get the opportunity.

I was another late comer to Stargate, only discovering it once SG1 had finished. I was watching 3 or 4 episodes a night at one point! I heartily recommend watching it all. And when you get to the end of season 7 you can start watching Atlantis too if you want. (SG1 season 8 is at the same time as Atlantis season 1) but its not necessary. The references between the two shows are minor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    Thanks

No i haven't seen the original film, but heard you can skip it anyway

I haven't seen the entire series but you'll miss out on the best goa'uld IMO.

Ra is so imperious and androgynous, graceful and dangerous all at once. He scared me in a way that no other goa'uld did.
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    probably watching it for about the 5th time through given the way they loop it on SKY on a fairly regular basis

as others have said its a great show even if it does start to feel a little bit "milked" towards the end
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member

I know I have a huge 10 seasons to go, but I have began downloading the show as I have never seen it before, but well aware of the success and huge following it has.

I have actually found a list online listing the main episodes to watch important to the storylines and mythology, as a sort of a rush through. But if i do like it, would happily buy the complete series and eventually watch every episode.

It is worth noting that there are two versions of the original pilot Children of the Gods. A re-cut was released after the show finished. This removes the full frontal nudity and improves on the FX. The plot however is not changed. The original meant that the first DVDs had a rating of 18.

Like most shows the first season as it gets it's feet. You can enhance your enjoyment however with a bit of knowledge of legends. So for example The Torment of Tantalus is a reference to Tantalus a Greek mythological figure, most famous for his eternal punishment in Tartarus. He was made to stand in a pool of water beneath a fruit tree with low branches, with the fruit ever eluding his grasp, and the water always receding before he could take a drink. The Broca Divide is a reference to the study of craniometry and the work of Pierre Paul Broca (28 June 1824 – 9 July 1880) He is best known for his research on Broca's area, a region of the frontal lobe that has been named after him. Broca’s Area is responsible for articulated language. His work revealed that the brains of patients suffering from aphasia contained lesions in a particular part of the cortex, in the left frontal region.

A knowledge of Egyptology and the myths of Ancient Egypt also enhance your enjoyment.

(PS Still think SG1 is spades ahead of most science fiction we have now on TV)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you for giving me some background on the show etc

I have just finished watching the Pilot and I really really enjoyed it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh, great, great show and would defo say it's one he'll of a ride! By the end, the show is so different, but remains true to itself. Defo try and do Atlantis along side if you can, they don't cross over, so much as say buffy/ angel, but it's definatly got the stargate spirit, although characters are a little less likeable than sg1, it does have it's moments. As for the third spinoff, universe - unless u want to watch a moody, slow version of 90210 in space, leave this well alone! Tried to replicate nbsg and failed. It's a shame, as it had massive potential, but the writers decided to muck with the stargate formula way too much.

Anyway, enjoy!
  • thespooksterthespookster Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    I highly recommend seeing the original film and it's been on freeview quite a bit recently so should be on again soon. Certainly helps with understanding the characters a bit better.

I have been watching the reruns on pick tv on freeview since they started showing every episode and now coming to end of season 7, only a few more series to go but I'll be really mad if they do what they normally do and just suddenly stop showing new episodes and either start again from first series or just not bother showing rest of episodes.

So far I am really enjoying watching these again and think I only saw up to end of series 7 when it was first on tv many years ago, so cant wait to see last few series in coming months.

A quick question if I may though about the pick tv episodes showing this week coming to end of season 7. Since Friday they have shown eps in wrong sequence, so instead of 13,14,15,16 we have had 13,17,18,14 - ie they bought forward eps 17 and 18 (heroes part 1 and 2) and then later in week we then skip straight from 16 to 19 to skip over the already shown episodes. Very odd. Only noticed this today when watching ep 14 (fallout) as Carter talked about a character that I saw die yesterday!
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,687
    Forum Member
    It is certainly one of the most well-written/plotted shows I have ever watched with things that happen in one episode being very important a few episodes, or even seasons, later

The good thing for me is it's one of those shows that Sky1 likes to show on a loop, so I can just drop in and out when I like :)
  • rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    amazing show,it's 1 of those shows the other being dexter that you can easily watch 3 or 4 a night,the characters,storylines & just general aura of the show is great,right down to the choice of music during episodes.
    It ended i think at the right time to be honest,although anouncing it right before 200th episode is a bit mean but hey ho thats sci-fi for you.

general hammond was so well played by don s davis,the whole cast play so well off each other i think as well..

i could go on for ages but i won't:D

enjoy the ride you'll love it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A quick question if I may though about the pick tv episodes showing this week coming to end of season 7. Since Friday they have shown eps in wrong sequence, so instead of 13,14,15,16 we have had 13,17,18,14 - ie they bought forward eps 17 and 18 (heroes part 1 and 2) and then later in week we then skip straight from 16 to 19 to skip over the already shown episodes. Very odd. Only noticed this today when watching ep 14 (fallout) as Carter talked about a character that I saw die yesterday!

That definitely took me out of the moment yesterday when I heard that character being referred to in the present tense.
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    SG1 was a fantastic series, including the final couple of seasons which many people seem to not care much for.

I'd echo a few sentiments from above - catch the movie if you can, particularly the Director's Cut, it's a fantastic introduction to the franchise. As good as the pilot of SG1 is, the movie is a better opening, a great story in itself, and obviously has a movie budget. Also, yes, watch Atlantis. In hindsight Atlantis is more than a worthy successor to SG1. There's a little crossover in the later seasons of SG1/Earlier seasons of Atlantis that work quite well. Universe - a missed opportunity. Sadly, by the time they got their sh1t together in season 2 it was already far too late.

It's a shame that MGM's financial woes, and the failure of Universe seem to have put a blocker on new Stargate for a while, but there's plenty to catch up on in the meantime. :)
  • mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    Ra is so imperious and androgynous

Well.. Ra does know the secret to The Crying Game...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky 1 have been showing it from the start since Thursday so i am following it on there
    Plus Sky 2 are showing Atlantis from the start on Tuesday as well, so i am gonna series record that as well

I think the pilot and the enemy within were strong episodes, but found the following episode a bit meh.
  • PalmerwhoPalmerwho Posts: 1,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky 1 have been showing it from the start since Thursday so i am following it on there
    Plus Sky 2 are showing Atlantis from the start on Tuesday as well, so i am gonna series record that as well

I think the pilot and the enemy within were strong episodes, but found the following episode a bit meh.

The Stargates series are generally great, but there are a number of episodes each season (especially the early ones) which you can skip altogether and miss nothing.

An episode in season 8 of SG1, 'Citizen Joe' makes reference to some of the less well received episodes.

Shame Universe took till season 2 to get going........
  • Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member

I've seen a lot of mixed opinions on season 1. The tone is quite different from later seasons (humour doesn't feature as much for example), but in some ways the series felt more grounded (for lack of better word) back then, and I think that helped the series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Is that episode Emancipation? The one where they get captured by some Mongolian like tribe and Carter gets put in a dress? If so, don't let that put you off, it is considered by many to be the worst episode of the entire 17 seasons of Stargate! Joe Mallozzi, one of the producers who has a popular blog, frequently sites that episode as embarrassing!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's the one, yeah. The place where men dominate and they look down on women.

I am not letting that put me off. Even my fav shows have their duff episodes

Oh and i must correct myself, stargate atlantis is repeating from the start today on Sky 2, not Tuesday.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    The first Hathor episode rivals Emancipation for the worse episode of the 15 seasons of SG-1 and Atlantis. Don't forget to watch the films Ark of Truth and Continuum which are SG-1 sequels.

Forget Universe- it's not Stargate -Wright, Mullie and Mallozie conceived it as appealing to a whole new audience who just rushed for the exit. Had they called it Bonking in Space, they might have secured their target audience
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately Hathor comes back as a character though so you need to watch that episode. Emancipation however you could happily never watch. Maybe they should remove it from all future tv broadcasts and dvds :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tscchope wrote: »
    The first Hathor episode rivals Emancipation for the worse episode of the 15 seasons of SG-1 and Atlantis. Don't forget to watch the films Ark of Truth and Continuum which are SG-1 sequels.

Forget Universe- it's not Stargate -Wright, Mullie and Mallozie conceived it as appealing to a whole new audience who just rushed for the exit. Had they called it Bonking in Space, they might have secured their target audience

I wasn't gonna check out Stargate Universe anyway. I did some looking around and I read it ended of a cliffhanger and I don't like investing time in shows that end on a cliffhanger. Where as SG1 and Atlantis all had beginning, middles and eventual ends.
  • CraigCraig Posts: 2,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first season of Stargate Atlantis and SG1 are available on Sky OnDemand from today [1/7]
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am nearing the end of season 1 and it gets better and better with every episode. I couldn't be bothered to wait every day for episodes, so i watched the episodes on-demand and I will stream the other seasons,.