Options

EE: Time for the laundrette to go

Bingo_Bingo_ Posts: 1,077
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I know, Mr 'Opopopolous' will never sell!:D

It's been in the show since the start but with Dot's age now the truth is it isn't the centre of the community as it once was. In fact it's a bit of a relic. I know it'll be a shame for an original location to be lost, but it really isn't what it was.

The days where characters would spend hours in the laundrette having a cup of tea and a gossip with the patron are over and they can't realistically bring them back because laundrettes aren't really used that much any more.

The cafe and the Vic seem to suffice these days as popular meeting places for the locals. Having the laundrette there just because it's always been there, isn't really good enough. It's no longer the hub of social activity and chit-chat. It's kind of redundant now.

Comments

• Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bingo_ wrote: »
    I know, Mr 'Opopopolous' will never sell!:D

It's been in the show since the start but with Dot's age now the truth is it isn't the centre of the community as it once was. In fact it's a bit of a relic. I know it'll be a shame for an original location to be lost, but it really isn't what it was.

The days where characters would spend ours in the laundrette having a cup of tea and a gossip with the patron are over and they can't realistically bring them back because laundrettes aren't really used that much any more.

The cafe and the Vic seem to suffice these days as popular meeting places for the locals. Having the laundrette there just because it's always been there, isn't really good enough. It's no longer the hub of social activity and chit-chat. It's kind of redundant now.

We rarely see Dot there and Cora worked better in the Charity Shop.
  • Options
    The Queen VicThe Queen Vic Posts: 5,775
    Forum Member
    No. No. No.

The launderette, the Vic, the cafe and the market are two places that should never, ever be ditched. Even when June Brown retires, stick someone else in there. It's part of the show's history. Even if all launderettes in the country close, EE should keep it. Always.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why does it need to go ?
  • Options
    bean_of_sbbean_of_sb Posts: 7,850
    Forum Member
    I always thought Heather was going to be primed as the new main employee at the launderette, but that obviously never worked out!
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,491
    Forum Member
    No. No. No.

The launderette, the Vic, the cafe and the market are two places that should never, ever be ditched. Even when June Brown retires, stick someone else in there. It's part of the show's history. Even if all launderettes in the country close, EE should keep it. Always.

Who taught you to count?

The show needs to stop living in the past and needs to look to the future.,
  • Options
    c120701c120701 Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe when Kathy returns, Carol will move from the Cafe back to the Launderette.
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The laundrette is somewhere people go to talk when it's raining outside. It has to stay :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a bit confused about the continuing role of the Laundrette - most people seem to bring small bags of bits for washing - does nobody have a washing machine in the East End ???
  • Options
    zerotheherozerothehero Posts: 21,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why dont we just turn the Vic into flats
  • Options
    Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Launtrettes I. The real world are redundant and I think ee should reflect that an make it something else now. It worked for the 80s but the world has changed aloy and most do own a washing machine now. Mick mentioned the voc had one for the sheets when lady di was sick on them before the puppy births
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Launtrettes I. The real world are redundant and I think ee should reflect that an make it something else now. It worked for the 80s but the world has changed aloy and most do own a washing machine now. Mick mentioned the voc had one for the sheets when lady di was sick on them before the puppy births

I have a Laundrette by me and its always busy
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Same.
  • Options
    Seymour ButtsSeymour Butts Posts: 3,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Launderettes still exist although a lot of them don't have anyone working there any more so I don't think it needs to go
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Most aren't though. The one near me are practically dead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Laundrettes are pretty praticul for people who can afford to buy/replace a washing machine
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the set will be replaced when the new set gets constructed.
  • Options
    The Queen VicThe Queen Vic Posts: 5,775
    Forum Member
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    Who taught you to count?

It's not living in the past. Do you actually watch the show? Just take it that people disagree with you
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    Who taught you to count?

I agree and disagree there. the show needs old blood but also needs to reflect changes in the real world. At times it feels like ee is in a different time zone.

Laundrettes are becoming more and more outdate and redundant so that should go and also most people have a washing machine. Things like the cafe and the vic should stay definatly as those places are still used frequently and are everywhere.

It's about getting the balance and when for has gone I can't see much point I. The laundrette tbh. It could become closed down for a while and allow other places to be seen for a while before turning it into anything.
  • Options
    firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do people still use Laundrettes aside from dry cleaning, surely most people have their own washing machines in 2015?
  • Options
    SillyBoyBlueSillyBoyBlue Posts: 3,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do people still use Laundrettes aside from dry cleaning, surely most people have their own washing machines in 2015?

This old argument again. It's true there are fewer laundrettes than there used to be, but I still use one because my kitchen is far too small for a washing machine to be installed, and I'm sure that's the case for many people.

The laundrette I use has quiet periods and very busy periods. You also see people using the bigger machines for items such as duvets etc., which wouldn't fit in their machine at home. Some people just use the tumble dryers because they don't have drying facilities at home.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's not living in the past. Do you actually watch the show? Just take it that people disagree with you

:confused::confused::confused:

I never said I couldn't take it when people disagreed with me. I was simply expressing my opinion, I never said or insinuated that you couldn't have yours. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    We rarely see Dot there and Cora worked better in the Charity Shop.

They will hardly let Dot out to go do her shift will they :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree and disagree there. the show needs old blood but also needs to reflect changes in the real world. At times it feels like ee is in a different time zone.

Laundrettes are becoming more and more outdate and redundant so that should go and also most people have a washing machine. Things like the cafe and the vic should stay definatly as those places are still used frequently and are everywhere.

It's about getting the balance and when for has gone I can't see much point I. The laundrette tbh. It could become closed down for a while and allow other places to be seen for a while before turning it into anything.

The Vic and the cafe are prime locations, the writers don't need a contrived reason for the characters to go there. It's different with the launderette, washing machines are so cheap these days so it's rarer for people to go to them, except for perhaps in an emergency.

I don't know what they could put in the place of the launderette though as they have practically all the essentials.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I'd rather they keep it. A mixture of old and new is good. Besides where would everyone do their washing? :o
  • Options
    attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have 3 near me & they're always busy, however quite a lot of people use the ironing, dry cleaning services & the tumble dryers most.

I think EE should keep it, even if it's just for the dryers!